Getting prepared for a race

ftzone

full throttle zone
Feb 21, 2005
Penang, Prai
www.ftzoneracing.com
To make things simple for track days:
There are 2 options for you. The $$$ way and the budget way.

Budget Way:
Make sure no oil leaks. Brake fluid is fresh. Brakes are in good condition and try to use brake pads of higher temperature range. (If you use normal street brake pads) they may damage your rotors if you use them too hard. Recommend you 400-500deg C should be good enough. What brand of brake pad up to your budget...Cooling systems are also important... make sure it does it's job. No leaks and radiator fan working properly. I talk from experience.

Tyres in good condition... semi slicks are rich man toys at the tracks. Also, if you use semi slicks in Kg.Gajah they will wear off very very fast. Give your front wheels the maximum negative camber you can get. At least negative 2deg if possible. Kg Gajah Circuit really demanding of tyre grip during corners.

The $$ Way..
A lot can be done. Coilovers, upgraded bushing, brake upgrades, Engine upgrade.. what ever your wallet can stand you do it and try it out. Hahahaa..

Tips:
Bring extra spark plugs, engine oil, brake oil if you have. Never know when you gotta top up those important fluids. Lots of drinking water. Clear up your car cabin of any things which may interfere your fierce driving. You don't want Snoppy or Garfield caught below your brake pedals eh?
Don't forget safety helmet, shoes and a pair of cool sunglass.

Driving Tips:
Learn your racing line, braking point well. Monitor your speed when entering a corner, example you understeer at 65km/h entering a corner and you spun out.. so the next time try reducing that speed and see if you can control it better. Ideally come into corners slower but you can exit the corner faster.
After some hot laps when returning to the pits, allow 1 lap of cooling down of your engine and brakes before you completely shut it down. heat soak is bad for the engine oil seals. Also do not use the handbrake as your rear rotors/drum brakes are still very hot. They can jam up.

The most most important thing.... HAVE FUN!

X.O

Known Member
Aug 19, 2010
Penang
To make things simple for track days:
There are 2 options for you. The $$$ way and the budget way.

Budget Way:
Make sure no oil leaks. Brake fluid is fresh. Brakes are in good condition and try to use brake pads of higher temperature range. (If you use normal street brake pads) they may damage your rotors if you use them too hard. Recommend you 400-500deg C should be good enough. What brand of brake pad up to your budget...Cooling systems are also important... make sure it does it's job. No leaks and radiator fan working properly. I talk from experience.

Tyres in good condition... semi slicks are rich man toys at the tracks. Also, if you use semi slicks in Kg.Gajah they will wear off very very fast. Give your front wheels the maximum negative camber you can get. At least negative 2deg if possible. Kg Gajah Circuit really demanding of tyre grip during corners.

The $$ Way..
A lot can be done. Coilovers, upgraded bushing, brake upgrades, Engine upgrade.. what ever your wallet can stand you do it and try it out. Hahahaa..

Tips:
Bring extra spark plugs, engine oil, brake oil if you have. Never know when you gotta top up those important fluids. Lots of drinking water. Clear up your car cabin of any things which may interfere your fierce driving. You don't want Snoppy or Garfield caught below your brake pedals eh?
Don't forget safety helmet, shoes and a pair of cool sunglass.

Driving Tips:
Learn your racing line, braking point well. Monitor your speed when entering a corner, example you understeer at 65km/h entering a corner and you spun out.. so the next time try reducing that speed and see if you can control it better. Ideally come into corners slower but you can exit the corner faster.
After some hot laps when returning to the pits, allow 1 lap of cooling down of your engine and brakes before you completely shut it down. heat soak is bad for the engine oil seals. Also do not use the handbrake as your rear rotors/drum brakes are still very hot. They can jam up.

The most most important thing.... HAVE FUN!
ftzone,

Wow you're making me more and more hooked up to my car haha. Interesting how the lil small details with the budget style can help so much haha. thanks for sharing your advices and experience, ftzone! =)

About the camber, you mentioned that i set a least a 2 degrees negative chamber right? wont the tyre be eaten up unevenly? In this case will i encounter alignment problem in future?

Break pads on the other hand, could u suggest one a few types together with approximate pricing to enlighten me? Cause i just changed my break pads recently but idk what break pads they are. It cost me 85 bucks. its about 2 weeks old only.

Anyway thanks again!

series5401

Known Member
Aug 14, 2010
Kuching
u dont get the difference? means? on carb vs efi or other else.. sorry.. eheheee..

we can share our mode, just thta mine is still standard for road.. no track here in kuching.. theres a track, but supercar plays on that track.. eehehheheee.. just kidding..

ftzone

full throttle zone
Feb 21, 2005
Penang, Prai
www.ftzoneracing.com
ftzone,

Wow you're making me more and more hooked up to my car haha. Interesting how the lil small details with the budget style can help so much haha. thanks for sharing your advices and experience, ftzone! =)

About the camber, you mentioned that i set a least a 2 degrees negative chamber right? wont the tyre be eaten up unevenly? In this case will i encounter alignment problem in future?

Break pads on the other hand, could u suggest one a few types together with approximate pricing to enlighten me? Cause i just changed my break pads recently but idk what break pads they are. It cost me 85 bucks. its about 2 weeks old only.

Anyway thanks again!
If you can drive fast enough at Dato Sagor Circuit, your tyres will already wear off unevenly. Still worry about your alignment? Thats why I suggest as much negative camber you can get. That way you can save a little bit of the outside sidewalls. You can always re-align back after your circuit race for street use.

Since I do not know what brake pads you are using I have no comment on that. If you need better ones, I have 500deg C brake pads for your application for about MYR150.00 a pair. But again, since budget is important this is entirely optional. You can still use your current brake pads.. however you have to feel when you should ease off your hard braking once you have exceeded your brake pads limitation and allow for it too cool down. Otherwise your brake pads and rotors will be damaged. Attached is a picture of my brake pads used in Sepang just for 5 hot laps. I have abused it too much. LOL! Deng .... that pads cost me MYR500!

JINEIL2EN

Over 10,000 RPM!
Sep 6, 2004
Island Of Pearl
team99ers.2.forumer.com
If you can drive fast enough at Dato Sagor Circuit, your tyres will already wear off unevenly. Still worry about your alignment? Thats why I suggest as much negative camber you can get. That way you can save a little bit of the outside sidewalls. You can always re-align back after your circuit race for street use.

Since I do not know what brake pads you are using I have no comment on that. If you need better ones, I have 500deg C brake pads for your application for about MYR150.00 a pair. But again, since budget is important this is entirely optional. You can still use your current brake pads.. however you have to feel when you should ease off your hard braking once you have exceeded your brake pads limitation and allow for it too cool down. Otherwise your brake pads and rotors will be damaged. Attached is a picture of my brake pads used in Sepang just for 5 hot laps. I have abused it too much. LOL! Deng .... that pads cost me MYR500!
wat is the brand of the pad u using..???

X.O

Known Member
Aug 19, 2010
Penang

Yeah true true hahaha. But you suggested to make it as negative as posible? what degree would you suggest?

Aww poor you. Thats what im kinda worried about too haha. what brand is the break pad ya selling? is it new or used? hah. And what i find hard to determine is my break limits. could u advice on this?

Thanks for yr sharing anyway! =)

---------- Post added at 06:22 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 06:20 PM ----------

just wondering, how much need to pay if want to play in a circuit? eheheeee..
depends on what circuit. for kampung gajah, perak it cost 150 for 2 categories. normally big circuits more expensive.. around 300 or so

lancer_evo83

Aug 16, 2006
ftzone,

Anyway thanks again!
if u r using camber nuts to adjust the front camber, i thk the maximum degree can go is around -3 degrees oni,but its enuf for that track d...
i juz wonder izzit ur stock 1.3 solid disk rotor can tahan the heat if u change to high temperature brake pads..... :hmmmm:
Dun worry so much d la, juz go try n learn to race tht track 1st , after track day oni see what u need to upgrade in the future lo...

fstr

7,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Apr 19, 2004
Sahara Desert
prepare for race?

competition or just for normal track days?

normal track days, just go in and whack only. And be prepared to be kena tiong, tapau and pass by track cars, full race prep cars, half race prep cars and powerful cars.

just go in and get the experience.

when i go in last time nobody ever teach me, i just see, monitor, judge, practice and learn fm mistakes.

JINEIL2EN

Over 10,000 RPM!
Sep 6, 2004
Island Of Pearl
team99ers.2.forumer.com
just make sure dun whack out of track, u know la, every1 paid for fun, but when some1's car out of track, whole kampong need to wait 10-15mins for marshal tow u out... time is money... whack carefully... hehehe:burnout:

X.O

Known Member
Aug 19, 2010
Penang
oh hey RL! hah thanks for the info heh. Im just a lil too worried that my car might break down haha because my mum's wira used to have lotsa problem. maybe its because she doesnt have the time to moniter it.. talk to you soon hah.

fstrader,

Its a small track competition and yeah true what u said. Get experince first then see what else i can do somemore. =)

jineil2en,

thanks for the reminder haha.

But thrs one thing i've been wondering. idk what wrong but when i shift gear, thr is like a thing inside my gear box that slows down my gear change. Sometimes i hit it. It inteferes with my gear change coordination. Any idea what it is? It satria btw.

Anyway thanks everyone for sharing and advicing.

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Guys,

Need all your input here. I intend to drop in a High profile cam to my 4G93DOHC N/A but I am not sure what others part do I need. So the cam able to perform to what it is expected. I know some mechanic will recommend to enlarge valve seal, change valve spring and etc..... which add on to more $$$ so I need all sifu advice. Thanks
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience