From Ron 97 to 95 without tuning

vh-101

500 RPM
Dec 14, 2006
hi bro..

i tuned my car with ron 97 shell v-power the new one.. and am thinking to pump ron 95. i forgot what was my a/f when tune. is there any prob and running on the same boost (i.e. 1.3bar)

thanks ~~:adore::adore::adore:

khoyos

2,000 RPM
Nov 23, 2003
Shah Alam
hi bro..

i tuned my car with ron 97 shell v-power the new one.. and am thinking to pump ron 95. i forgot what was my a/f when tune. is there any prob and running on the same boost (i.e. 1.3bar)

its not only about A/F. its also about ignition bro... best to have it tuned for ron95. i'm going to use ron95 for my car too, going to have to have the ecu tuned for ron95...

intervener

Oct 18, 2008
Hi!,

I wonder if those piggyback which have 2 maps can I tune my 4G92 Mivec with one map running on RON 95 and the other map running on 97 OR IN THE ALTERNATIVE one map based on the original ECU (ro run on RON 95) and the other map running on RON 97.

Anybody can assist??

Thanks.

Intervener

jinkl

4,000 RPM
May 22, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
vh-101 , insufficient info

not everyone eats the same and drinks the same
not every car has same compression ratio
not every car was tuned the same way
not every car internals were built strong as all the others

so how are we gonna give you an anwser
1. Know your AFR
2. What kind of timing levels are u running

1.3bar for a Evo is nothing , but 1.3bar for a volvo is pretty big step
so how do we know what are your boost levels and your setup

currently , its like u sitting in hospital , not giving any information to the doctor, he can not advice u anyways :D , jsut example, dont merajuk or dont be angry , simply release work stress kekekekke

12savefuel

Known Member
Dec 10, 2008
hi bro..

Usually there should be a difference between 97 to 95. First the engine will feel rougher, fuel consumption will drop and there is a likely chance that you will start to hear detonation (knocking) from the enigne especially in boost and when weather is hot and the IC is hot.

Best to retune for 95Ron. Usually you would need to retard ignition timing to stop detonation especially in boost. Then when you retard IG you wold have to retune the A/F again to get it back to the correct ratio as when you change the IG timing it will affect the A/F as well.

vh-101

500 RPM
Dec 14, 2006
no worries bro jinkl, i'll open up the map and look at it again the igintion. btw, i am on 4age turbo with 8.9.1 compression.

Bro intervener, yes there is such function but i not sure if a piggy back has it. for standalone, definitely can run dual maps.

wongsl

Known Member
Jul 27, 2006
I'm planning to do the same too after RON97 got increased again to RM2.90/liter.

I don't think the AFR will be affected, however, does anyone know roughly how much timing will need to be retarded? around 5 degrees?

12savefuel

Known Member
Dec 10, 2008
Anywhere from 2-5degs depending on throttle position and boost. Lighter throttle position same IG to -2deg, then more retard from there. This is generally, depends on engine, boost, mods etc.

wongsl

Known Member
Jul 27, 2006
wa.. as i suspected. if 5degrees or so, that is pretty substantial power gone. oh well, so much for the subsidy thing, have to compensate by running higher boost then. *chuckle*

nan83

Known Member
Nov 14, 2004
Pasir Mas,Kel
ron is all about auto-ignition ( uncontrol combustion flame/explotion) .... all we must care is cylinder temperature, it will cause the low octane fuel to auto ignite & cause prob to our engine ... if we know our engine setup still not exceed cylinder temp. that will cause the fuel to auto-ignite.. just use the low ron fuel , no prob .... but we must tune it properly...

if we tune with 97ron fuel not to maximum (tuning with safety margin = just close to optimum ignition timing & a bit rich afr ) .... we can use 95ron with no prob ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

huumm... if we wanna use 95ron with extreme engine condition ( hi cylinder temp. can cause low octane to auto ignite) .... what we need to do to ensure it run safely?? a lot of method that we can use... just google it... kekekek

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

vh-101 ... no one can tell that safe or not to run 95 for yr engine.... we dun have all the data that will show it ok to use 95ron.. just ask your tuner about this, mayne need to retune... but if your engine already run low ign timing already like 5'-7' @ high load ... it not good to use low octane fuel .... it it still can use 95ron you if prepare yr setup in other way...

wongsl

Known Member
Jul 27, 2006
update: for me, i had to move down from light throttle 8 degrees and at boost on average 10 degrees. pretty significant drop in power assuming each degree would give u ~ 3whp. that's like 30whp down the drain!

wongsl

Known Member
Jul 27, 2006
well, i bit the bullet, after driving 2 months on RON95, i just couldn't take it anymore. slowly filled up RON97 when low fuel lamp illuminates and after I'm pretty sure fuel is mostly RON97, I went back for timing tune on the road.

conclusion: the car at RON95 was taking a lot more fuel, i.e.: poor fuel economy, and the drive sucks big time. it was like driving a poorly built up transplant. On RON97, this is where men and boys are separated. the car feels totally different and here you can say one is enjoying spirited driving, whereas the other you feel the stress/strain of the poor peforming engine.
bottom line, if this is not your everyday car, don't worry about the price difference between ron95/97. you do not save as much with ron95 as the fuel consumption goes up too with the loss of power.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Most of the arrangements have been finalised, so here are the preliminary details for the clinic/workshop/get-together:

Date: 23rd May 2009

Time: 2 pm

Venue:
31, Jalan Sibu 16, Taman Wahyu,
Batu 6, Jalan Ipoh,
68100 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Map to the Venue

As with other workshop that we've...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience