Forced induction or bigger CC! which is the one?

khoyos

2,000 RPM
Nov 23, 2003
Shah Alam
i was thinking about the same thing too...

1uz or 2jz for my car. finally chose 2jz cos if i choose to be crazy later, i dont have to spend a million bucks to have a custom exhaust manifold made...

what about big cc PLUS forced induction? 1uz twin turbo? hehehe i cant afford that...

serigala

Known Member
Dec 30, 2007
i'm sticking to forced induction...
geez..no wonder i love mt 13b soo much..

khoyos

2,000 RPM
Nov 23, 2003
Shah Alam
i have no idea what's going on. no gearbox yet cos the guy who owe me money still havent paid yet.
so the waiting game continues...

lozo

500 RPM
Sep 26, 2004
Petaling Jaya
Visit site
no replacement for displacement is ...no longer accurate. f1 produces about 800hp for only 2.4 liter of displacement

deacon

Senior master debater
May 5, 2005
KL
I hate to throw spanners, but F1 is hardly a good reference of that saying.

I prefer highly tuned NA engines of the 3L and above variety. Turbos are nice but don't necessarily add to overall power delivery (Long power bands as opposed to narrow ones).

khoyos

2,000 RPM
Nov 23, 2003
Shah Alam
well, it is true that NA is better at the pinnacle of motorsport. but to us "mere mortals" who has to earn money to modify cars, turbocharging is the "cheaper" way to gain power hehehe

bebolagalas T

500 RPM
Jul 18, 2007
no replacement for displacement is ...no longer accurate. f1 produces about 800hp for only 2.4 liter of displacement
muahaha...1 unit of f1 engine can buy how many 1j or 2j or rb or etc..:smokin:

no need big engine la in malaysia...better used forced induction for more power..:driver:

deacon

Senior master debater
May 5, 2005
KL
any preferences to supercharging?

joethurr

500 RPM
Sep 11, 2007
forced induction of course..... for "short thrills"..... NA for the "long run"...

deacon

Senior master debater
May 5, 2005
KL
i dare say i agree. but i guess that statement is more for NA junkies than of the turbo sort.

BLaCkHoWLiNG

'(^^)|Most Awesome Member
Nov 14, 2003
PJ
www.autojunctions.com
have those who says 'prefer bigger cc' vs 'turbo' had owned or driven big cc cars and turbo cars? i mean.. we're not talking about kancil L2s with 3.0cc NA cars.. i mean like 2.0 turbo vs 3.0.. or 3.0 turbo vs 4.0V8 .. or somesort.. at least it's on a comparable size....? then only one can justify the 'verdict' of what the preference is...

renxun

1,000 RPM
Jul 4, 2006
i would say the availability of this differant engine is also an issue.... alot of pl love to have bigger displacement + turbocharge however anything above 2500cc is already killing for some pl in terms of annual roadtax.... my 1jz cost me around RM890 for roadtax alone...

having big displacement NA is fun wid the higher compression ratio, your power is just on tap. where else having a low comp turbocharge the fun only begins when boost came in. and if u are having a big turbine and if u operate below the boost kickin rpm u will just feel 'kosong'....

but i do love 2jz wid a big single... yummy....so for my own taste of mod, i will prefer doing a fairly sized turbo that could max out the stock 1j internals and if it doesnt feel but kickin enough, then move on to 2jz bottom....

bigger than 3.0 i have no idea... never had the chance to sit on a performance car wid such size of displacement

deacon

Senior master debater
May 5, 2005
KL
have those who says 'prefer bigger cc' vs 'turbo' had owned or driven big cc cars and turbo cars? i mean.. we're not talking about kancil L2s with 3.0cc NA cars.. i mean like 2.0 turbo vs 3.0.. or 3.0 turbo vs 4.0V8 .. or somesort.. at least it's on a comparable size....? then only one can justify the 'verdict' of what the preference is...
I guess that it really boils down to what car is compared with what car, doesn't it?

Should we set up some comparisons? I believe it would be good cannon fodder for the thread, and we will get to see the various "different strokes for different folks", as it were.

Then again we would have to compare cars that are similarly focused. Rather than just picking a 2L turbo to go up against a 3L NA.

khoyos

2,000 RPM
Nov 23, 2003
Shah Alam
i never knew this thread would go into an argument!

well, in my case, i was contemplating of having either 1UZ-FE (4.0 V8 NA) or 2JZ-GTE (3.0 I6 twinturbo) transplanted into my car.

i would love to have the torque of a V8 but in my opinion, it would be more expensive to upgrade compared to the 2JZ, especially if i choose to turbocharge the V8. if twin turbo V8 expensive, single turbo V8 also expensive... die lor like that...

but in a general term (not our case of cant afford to convert evo engine to wira - put in 4G93 DOHC NA instead - no offense to anyone yeah!), a smaller displacement turbocharged engine can match the performance of a larger displacement NA engine, while keeping the fuel consumption low.

example is a Volvo S80 2.0T and a Cefiro 3.0V6. they are similar in terms of horsepower, but volvo wins hands down in terms of fuel consumption (assuming sane n normal driving of course).

and even a comparison between same engine (turbo vs bigger cc), lets say B16A turbo vs B20B NA, which one can yield higher horsepower/torque at a cheaper price? dont put winning races into consideration cos gearbox/tyres/driver come into play (too many variables)

that's my thought...

BLaCkHoWLiNG

'(^^)|Most Awesome Member
Nov 14, 2003
PJ
www.autojunctions.com
khoyos: haahah.. argument? nah.. for wat? it aint argument.. jes constructive discussion.. i've got forced induction from rotaries, to inline 6 pots... to tuned NA high capacity V8s... so "i know what's what".. not jes based on 'i like...' or..'i feel...' or.. 'i think'....

;)

how's yr gb? i wanna let it go dirth cheap.. how? r u still interested?

deacon

Senior master debater
May 5, 2005
KL
khoyos: haahah.. argument? nah.. for wat? it aint argument.. jes constructive discussion.. i've got forced induction from rotaries, to inline 6 pots... to tuned NA high capacity V8s... so "i know what's what".. not jes based on 'i like...' or..'i feel...' or.. 'i think'....

;)
Share lah dude. Which is your preference?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Bad weather frequently haunts the Malaysian GP. Even this week, being the final show at Sepang Circuit, saw intermittent showers throughout the day and even put a stop to today's first Free Practice session. It must have been a nightmare for the teams, operating under all that water drama, not to mention humidity and inconvenience. They were only allowed to go out at...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience