Finally getting rid of my 4g13

Ranjanmax

Known Member

Ranjanmax

Known Member
Dec 8, 2017
So I finally got fed up with my engine. NOT because it has no power, like seriously it was fun having to drive around town and not worrying about fuel in this little engine. But its been costing me unnecessary expenses. So I've made up my mind to disregard the small cc and op for something worthwhile. I plan to go with a 4g91, but then I heard people saying 1.3 chassis can go for 1.6 engine. That being the case, if lady luck is at my side, might as well go on a treasure hunt for a 4G92 mivec. But the question is, what basic stuff should I look for when purchasing this 1.6 monster, and what should I do before I put it in the car (overhaul, etc). Mod ideas also welcome :laugh::laugh::adore:.

Side note: Can anyone tell me, if it is possible to get a 4g91 block and fit it with a 92 mivec head? Or will it have troubles in terms of tuning and stuff?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
So I finally got fed up with my engine. NOT because it has no power, like seriously it was fun having to drive around town and not worrying about fuel in this little engine. But its been costing me unnecessary expenses. So I've made up my mind to disregard the small cc and op for something worthwhile. I plan to go with a 4g91, but then I heard people saying 1.3 chassis can go for 1.6 engine. That being the case, if lady luck is at my side, might as well go on a treasure hunt for a 4G92 mivec. But the question is, what basic stuff should I look for when purchasing this 1.6 monster, and what should I do before I put it in the car (overhaul, etc). Mod ideas also welcome :laugh::laugh::adore:.

Side note: Can anyone tell me, if it is possible to get a 4g91 block and fit it with a 92 mivec head? Or will it have troubles in terms of tuning and stuff?
I dunno about the rojak wizardry of Mivec headswaps but there's a couple of thing you'll need to consider when you do this swap :

- Availability of part. Mivec parts are getting rarer these days and I wonder if it's still possible to find all engine new parts from the shop.
- Why not consider 4G91 then do a proper turbo setup? Might be slightly cheaper than finding a Mivec engine (with repairs). More power too.
- Don't forget about suspension and brakes upgrades. A 4 pot brake front, 2 pot rear might not be a bad idea, also don't forget to upgrade the brake master pump. Decent coilovers to handle the extra power too.
- Sounds like your 4G13 has done a lot of hard corners and twisties and turns. Since you're gonna go all out might as well fix up dents and dings and repaint and fix rusty bits and parts.
- Bigger wheels perhaps? 16" or just wider 15" tyres?
- These days standalone ECUs are getting more affordable. Ancient 4 cylinder engines can be easily managed by entry to mid level ECUs so they aren't too bad in terms of cost. The tuner is important though and what you want from the car is crucial too.

Best thing to do is find a reputable and trustworthy mech/tuner/all-in-one shop and let them handle everything unless you plan to do it in your house. If you have friends who are reputable mechs and know their stuff, better to let them handle everything from the engine sourcing to the swapping to the tuning one shot. That way at least you know who to go back to for troubleshooting.

Reactions: Ranjanmax

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya

I agree with bro Izso, better not Frankenstein parts, just get half cut transfer over...... :driver:

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I dunno about the rojak wizardry of Mivec headswaps but there's a couple of thing you'll need to consider when you do this swap :

- Availability of part. Mivec parts are getting rarer these days and I wonder if it's still possible to find all engine new parts from the shop.
- Why not consider 4G91 then do a proper turbo setup? Might be slightly cheaper than finding a Mivec engine (with repairs). More power too.
- Don't forget about suspension and brakes upgrades. A 4 pot brake front, 2 pot rear might not be a bad idea, also don't forget to upgrade the brake master pump. Decent coilovers to handle the extra power too.
- Sounds like your 4G13 has done a lot of hard corners and twisties and turns. Since you're gonna go all out might as well fix up dents and dings and repaint and fix rusty bits and parts.
- These days standalone ECUs are getting more affordable. Ancient 4 cylinder engines can be easily managed by entry to mid level ECUs so they aren't too bad in terms of cost. The tuner is important though and what you want from the car is crucial too.

Best thing to do is find a reputable and trustworthy mech/tuner/all-in-one shop and let them handle everything unless you plan to do it in your house. If you have friends who are reputable mechs and know their stuff, better to let them handle everything from the engine sourcing to the swapping to the tuning one shot. That way at least you know who to go back to for troubleshooting.
Wah! 4 pot front, 2 pot rear, no ABS will lock easily, right? My VR only 2 pot front, original 1 pot rear, the rear still locks even with normal pads only....lol

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Wah! 4 pot front, 2 pot rear, no ABS will lock easily, right? My VR only 2 pot front, original 1 pot rear, the rear still locks even with normal pads only....lol
Satria 1.3 where got ABS one. Anyway wanna go might as well go overkill. Hehehe... 2 pot front enough ah? Ok la maybe you're not too fast a driver or you have mastered engine braking. Or maybe you're Initial-D punya God-Foot

minibeany

500 RPM

minibeany

500 RPM
Apr 30, 2017
Petaling Jaya
Add more...
  • upgrade full exhaust system... stainless steel preferred
  • 1.3 has no power window... change the door trim and upgrade to power window

Last edited:
Reactions: Izso

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Satria 1.3 where got ABS one. Anyway wanna go might as well go overkill. Hehehe... 2 pot front enough ah? Ok la maybe you're not too fast a driver or you have mastered engine braking. Or maybe you're Initial-D punya God-Foot
My 2 pot transferred from original VR4 half cut with twin layer servo, is good enough for me, maybe not for track but with the 800 deg pads maybe still can ....lol

Ranjanmax

Known Member

Ranjanmax

Known Member
Dec 8, 2017

i see. Parts wise im still testing my luck and asking around regarding the mivec stuff. So far manage to get cam and injectors (if that will make any difference). But overall the 4g91 turbo is in consideration since you mentioned it. Will keep this thread active as much as I can whilst im sourcing for parts.

Ranjanmax

Known Member

Ranjanmax

Known Member
Dec 8, 2017
Add more...
  • upgrade full exhaust system... stainless steel preferred
  • 1.3 has no power window... change the door trim and upgrade to power window
I've already done my exhaust. Everything except the tabung is stock. its bloody small if you ask me and sounds dope. idle you dont hear anything, slow speeds also.
but my satria got power window... i wonder why.. the classic window button at the side of the e-brake :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

sweelt

2,000 RPM

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
I agree with bro Izso, better not Frankenstein parts, just get half cut transfer over...... :driver:
Upgrade brake pads and suspension first.
if you get full halfcut mivec its already include full set caliper.
mivec price keras than gsr than evo. 6 yrs ago i opt for gsr.
Evo cannot endorsed.

Anyway i cant see how deep ur pocket, @Izso way is one shot kasi "up" hahaha...

Ranjanmax

Known Member

Ranjanmax

Known Member
Dec 8, 2017
Okay, i got someone who sent me a 4g92 mivec engine. But what appears to be the issue is the engine auto.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Last edited:
Reactions: Ranjanmax

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Can you guys recommend me a place that can do a good job in restoring paint?

I want to polish and wax my car.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience