softmuffin

Known Member
Dec 21, 2004
Yeah the syncro problem.

Don't think will change the full gearbox coz $$$
do you think how much to fix it?
Please advise

jzhost said:
1.8 and 1.6 gb ration is totally diff. you will lose all your power is you changed to 1.8 when ur engine is 1.6

i think it might be a syncro problem most likely, if you could get a cheap 1.6 gb, just get it and dump inside the hood, save time and money, else go and repair

usually will cost you nearly 500 or more.

tajulsans

1,000 RPM
Jul 31, 2004
Soo Bang
softmuffin said:
hI all,

Mine is a 4G92 block which means i'm using 8" clutch. I just wonder, if i fix back my ori gearbox (1.6 one) can i still change mine 8" clutch to 8.5" since 8.5 is for `1.8?

Please advice?
can change, no prob.. but better lighten the flywheel abit as both static and rotational weight increase alot liau.. i'm using 8.5" on my 4g91

TXtreme

Jul 15, 2005
Shah Alam
tajulsans said:
I'm not sure ur definition of "same", the 1.6 and 1.8 gear box ratio are diff even though the casing is the same.. gen2 and waja of course la diff than 4g92, engine orientation already terbalik woo..

jzhost said:
1.8 and 1.6 gb ration is totally diff. you will lose all your power is you changed to 1.8 when ur engine is 1.6

dear tajulsans & jzhost, :dancing2:
if you all expert in gear ratio, pls tell me what is the different ratio between 1.6 & 1.8 proton gearbox? and mivec gearbox ratio also

tajulsans

1,000 RPM
Jul 31, 2004
Soo Bang
TXtreme said:
tajulsans said:
I'm not sure ur definition of "same", the 1.6 and 1.8 gear box ratio are diff even though the casing is the same.. gen2 and waja of course la diff than 4g92, engine orientation already terbalik woo..

jzhost said:

dear tajulsans & jzhost, :dancing2:
if you all expert in gear ratio, pls tell me what is the different ratio between 1.6 & 1.8 proton gearbox? and mivec gearbox ratio also
Hmmm, nice smilin stuff there.. not to say i'm expert in gear ratio la.. but have u checked the mitsu gearbox manual?? even though all are F5M222, the gear ratio are determined by the last 4 codes.. somebody have posted this thing before.. go and check laa.. i'm not gearbox engineer and so are u i guess.. we just correct what is not right..:dancing2:

jzhost

Known Member
Sep 8, 2004
how could you said that a mivec 1.6 gb is same with stock 1.6 and also 1.8? if so called "SAME" will not all ppl using 1.8gb changed to mivec gb.

FYI, i personally own a mivec gb, 1.8 gb and 1.6 gb... all three gb final is diff. i guest i know better than you with my own experience.

tajulsans said:
TXtreme said:
tajulsans said:

Hmmm, nice smilin stuff there.. not to say i'm expert in gear ratio la.. but have u checked the mitsu gearbox manual?? even though all are F5M222, the gear ratio are determined by the last 4 codes.. somebody have posted this thing before.. go and check laa.. i'm not gearbox engineer and so are u i guess.. we just correct what is not right..:dancing2:

TXtreme

Jul 15, 2005
Shah Alam
jzhost said:
how could you said that a mivec 1.6 gb is same with stock 1.6 and also 1.8? if so called "SAME" will not all ppl using 1.8gb changed to mivec gb.

FYI, i personally own a mivec gb, 1.8 gb and 1.6 gb... all three gb final is diff. i guest i know better than you with my own experience.

tajulsans said:
dear jzhost & tajul sans...both of u expert better about proton gearbox than me laa...maybe...expert with 'feel' experience

FYI, my satria project car currently using straight cut gears with close ratio. All the gears we custom made except 1st & reverse gear.

Then, we are knowing very well about proton gearboxes and gear ratios. Please don't speak too much if u know nothing!

tajulsans

1,000 RPM
Jul 31, 2004
Soo Bang
Merely opening up a single gearbox and making costum gears doesnt mean u r already a gearbox expert man.. plus u made it urself meh?? u count every single gear there is in the gearbox meh.. people who play GT3 only also can know bout gear box, doent mean u have to do a custom stuff to be expert.. dont tell me if i make a project car, sending it for the pomen to do convertion to EVO then i am evo expert.. ROTFL.. if u can derive how gear ratio is calculated, and proof there is no diff of ratio between mivec, 1.6 and 1.8 gb.. then u r a gearbox expert.. but still i trust what i learn in college more laa...

TXtreme

Jul 15, 2005
Shah Alam
Oohh...a college boy...sound's good...I'm not telling u that I'm gearbox expert man...but nobody ask me about the different ratios between mivec,1.6 & 1.8 proton gb!

Before we make the close ratio straight cut gear, we already studied all the gear ratio either mivec,1.6 or 1.8. Starting we make the final drive then go to speed gear 1 by 1. We have R&D n a lot experience about proton gearbox.

Do u know how many gear teeth(1st ~5th gear) at input shaft, intermediate shaft, output shaft & crown gears? maybe u know how to calculate the gear ratios but we know better than that!

That's why I want to tell u guys that 1.6 & 1.8 proton gearbox have the same ratios. No different. Mivec have 4.592 final drive ratio & 0.756 on 5th gear ratio, others gears ratio same with 1.6 & 1.8 gb.

To softmuffin, sorry to make u 'pening kepala' but just to give a little knowledge to u, n so for the others. Anyway u can choice either u want to buy used gb or u want overhaul that gb. If u want to overhaul repair, I can assist u. Many things that we need to 'learn'. :rock:

keigo4552

Known Member
Jul 25, 2005
kuala lumpur
listen to me...im mechanic here...if i face this problem,i will take off the gear box and see the clucth plate even got or not..then if still ok,check the gear oil..if dirty,check the gear box...juz open up it and see the gear gigi..thats all...easy works~!

speedking

500 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
TXtreme said:
That's why I want to tell u guys that 1.6 & 1.8 proton gearbox have the same ratios. No different. Mivec have 4.592 final drive ratio & 0.756 on 5th gear ratio, others gears ratio same with 1.6 & 1.8 gb.
im not gearbox expert too...
but i agree with wat this guy saying....he is right :)

Last edited:

jswong

Known Member
Dec 30, 2004
"That's why I want to tell u guys that 1.6 & 1.8 proton gearbox have the same ratios. No different. Mivec have 4.592 final drive ratio & 0.756 on 5th gear ratio, others gears ratio same with 1.6 & 1.8 gb."

Yeah, even Proton's website mention that 1.6 and 1.8 gearboxes (the F5M22 ones) have same ratios. But the 5th gear on Proton's F5M22 is also 0.756, isn't it? I recall that the 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear ratios are the same for F5M21 and F5M22.

From Mitsubishi's transaxle overhaul manual, there's no mention of Proton's F5M21VRBE that's used by 1.3/1.5. But we can see that Proton's gearboxes share the same 1st+2nd, 3rd+4th and 5th gear ratios as the Mitsubishi ones.

TXtreme

Jul 15, 2005
Shah Alam
jswong Yeah said:
in our record, 5th gear ratio for 1.6/1.8 proton is 0.777 coz its using 4.322 final drive.
for 1.3/1.5, also same ratio with 1.6 but just only ratio for 1st gear is 3.363, 1.6/1.8 has 3.083 for 1st gear ratio :)

kennethfong

500 RPM
Aug 11, 2004
gearbox

TX,

hi great info on the gearbox, could u pls advise me of my gearbox as below:

driving a 4g92 sohc auto, during tsunami days, my autobox konked, so changed to manual, the manual gearbox's code is F5M222RRKE, then my rpm and speedo meter konked (not accurate enuff), just need to know when i rev my engine to 6000 rpm at 2nd gear, what should b the speedo like? need to know this coz i'm trying 2 break a century record....

also pls advise me this gearbox 2wd F5M222RRKE comes from which vehicle? what's the gear ratio like? n pls help me to calculate the above maths...

thank u so much!!!

TXtreme

Jul 15, 2005
Shah Alam
kennethfong said:
TX,

hi great info on the gearbox, could u pls advise me of my gearbox as below:

driving a 4g92 sohc auto, during tsunami days, my autobox konked, so changed to manual, the manual gearbox's code is F5M222RRKE, then my rpm and speedo meter konked (not accurate enuff), just need to know when i rev my engine to 6000 rpm at 2nd gear, what should b the speedo like? need to know this coz i'm trying 2 break a century record....

also pls advise me this gearbox 2wd F5M222RRKE comes from which vehicle? what's the gear ratio like? n pls help me to calculate the above maths...

thank u so much!!!
hi kenneth...
ohh god...I`m not expert in all mitsubishi gearbox man :tongue: but I will check with other members F5M222RRKE comes from which model...I think the gear ratios same with 1.6/1.8 proton gb maybe...

refer to our calculation if u are using 14 or 15 inches of wheel and u rev yur engine on 6k rpm in 2nd gear, yur speedo must 78km/h something...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

nope, u dun hav 2 change da absorbers if u fit in 17inch rims
u might want 2 change 2 sport springs perhaps ..
i recently saw sum nice 17inc rims at a good price ;
mail me - if u wana know more
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience