FD Civic Type-R Launched in Malaysia

si|verfish

5,000 RPM
Apr 28, 2004
PJ
Might be a lot faster, me thinks. Because the CTR is pretty heavily track biased.

Based on the road test reports I've read, this CTR's setup is pretty damn harsh. It has been tuned with on track performance in mind and very few compromises. So expect a jarring ride and knife edge sharpness in everything it does. So how liveable it is will probably be subjective to how much that person can live with. I haven't been in one myself so I can't comment on actual experience.

Of course, there are also track biased cars which manages the compromises well and still ride pretty well in normal conditions. The Porsche GT3 for example. The CTR may not be one of them.

faisal

1,500 RPM
Oct 20, 2004
The Valley
ignition.my
The GT3 997 has PSM. It's liveble day to day. incredibly so.

Well I'll leave my judgement of the CTR's reputed harshness till I get to drive it on road and track..

I recall Autocar UK like the car lots more than the European Type R Hatch

The Satria R3 was also tuned for occasional track driving, still liveable on the road ..

minivan

1,500 RPM
Jun 11, 2004
BBBangi/KL
Visit site
If you really observe or have truly been playing and growing up around in the Malaysian modified car scene, u’d know that hard setups will not be an issue. And this one comes from the factory!! When I and many of my peers started playing around with cars, we messed around with cut springs, compressed springs for goodness sake!!! Its what we could afford back then. Then we played around with chop-shop absorbers. We all rode on ‘for track use’ teins, ohlins, etc. So, in comparison to what we’re use to, the FD-R i doubt is going to be a pain in the ass to live with.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
We grew up playing around with converted EF3s, EG3s, EK2s. Some got the EF9s or EG6s (No EK9s). We learned to love the civic. Now, we’ve grown up a bit and maybe with abit more hard work, we can actually consider the FD-R, can u blame me for being excited? I’m a Honda enthusiast, not matter how good the Golf is (I know its good from a lot of articles), I’d choose the FD-R over a Golf any day….. but that’s just me. U want to go for a Golf, go ahead, I wouldnt even think twice about the civic.

Last edited:

si|verfish

5,000 RPM
Apr 28, 2004
PJ
No need to get your knickers in a twist about it. I am merely sharing a different point of view. As I've said, it is subjective to how much that person can live with.

I'm quite aware of the position, that cars with the Honda Type R badge, hold in a lot of Malaysian's heart. It is a cult car with a cult following that generated a lot of wetdreams, worship and fanboys. The reaction is only logical.

si|verfish

5,000 RPM
Apr 28, 2004
PJ
Just to add some fuel into the fire, when you buy the CTR, essentially you'll be paying 200k for a Civic. Yes, a very special Civic, but a Civic it remains. Think of all the Civics on the road and all the wannabes CTR lookalikes.

Again, no need to get up in arms. Merely giving people a different dimension to look at.

minivan

1,500 RPM
Jun 11, 2004
BBBangi/KL
Visit site
Its the same for a Golf then..... 200K for a Golf!? But it not just any Golf.... same for the Civic.... its not any Civic....
Actually both Golf and Civic have moved up the ranks and are giving a lot of other cars a run for their money...
Another thing, if you got to own and drive the real deal, would you really worry about other saying yours is a wannabe? Becoz, u know u have the last laugh...

Last edited:

si|verfish

5,000 RPM
Apr 28, 2004
PJ
Actually, if you're comfortable and confident with your decision and you bought the car for the right reasons, you don't have to bother about what others might say or think.

Still, I'm just saying stuff to give a different view.

True the Golf Gti is in essence, still just a Golf. But we are in Bolehland and in Bolehland, how many common or garden Golfs have you seen? Therefore its exclusivity is much more obvious.

Before, you folks think I have some kind of beef with the CTR, I don't. I have the utmost respect for it as a machine and the engineering that is behind it. In fact I love cars which are built with a clear sense of purpose. I just like to encourage a bit of thought and discussion when the too much blind lust goes on. Which happens a lot when it carries a hallowed name.

bushidofang

'(00) Lurker
Helmet Clan
Jun 1, 2006
Anywhere
Based on Silverfish, i would also buy the Golf GTi if i had the moolahs.. As he said, a lot of Civics are becoming wannabes, and yes, even the CTR has performance, but the Glof would be nicer to ride in. Maybe if we could, get a CTR for weekends and Golf for weekdays.. haha!

drew1.0beta

Known Member
May 27, 2006
However, the engine can only develop that kind of output if it runs on RON100 and in Malaysia, the highest RON is 97. The ECU will adjust the ignition timing to prevent knock (pre-combustion) causing damage using lower RON fuel but this also means that the output will be less. Exactly how much less could not be ascertained because it does depend on the fuel quality (not just the RON) and operating conditions. However, Autocar magazine in UK has quoted a figure of 200 ps after their test of the European Type R which has the same engine so perhaps that is a number which could apply to Malaysia. Anyway, 200 ps is already plenty for a body that is 1,270 kgs at the kerb so it is unlikely that any owner who uses it on a public road will have reason to feel short-changed.

Copyright : MotorTrader.com.my

''just to share! ''

ioki

500 RPM
Jul 4, 2005
Puchong
Too Bad no Super charger.And i thought previously they boltin a supercharger to the K-20 I-Vtech.?

drew1.0beta

Known Member
May 27, 2006
i'd say other than the old honda city turbo back in the 80s...
Right now and in the future Honda will nvr gonna produce any Forced induction car..
as we know, their performance car are all running on their proud VTEC and currently i-VTEC..almost every Type R review, there'd be this sort of phrase, like '' ...this much horsepower without any Turbocharger or Supercharger''..(which i think the Honda's CEO will love that compliment..haha)
If one day we hear ppl say ''there's a new Honda with turbocharge/supercharge engine''..it'll b kinda weird rite?...
just my opinion tho...
cheers

minivan

1,500 RPM
Jun 11, 2004
BBBangi/KL
Visit site
Hmm... you could get RON99 from Shell V-Power... hmm... still not yet RON100...
No... Shell V-power racing is still RON97, same as other petrols. It just has better formula and additives. If you use an of-the-shelf octane booster you could get yourself to RON98...RON99 the most with an expensive one...

bubu

Known Member
Jan 12, 2006
yup it has that much of power on the engine but not on the wheel ,this car has 4 doors and its soo big and long,definely heavier than civic ek9 and ep3 .it will reduce around 80-90horsepower to the wheel just like my altezza ,210ps but on wheel only 125hp ,dyno at sunway

GT_AUTO

3,000 RPM
Oct 25, 2005
K.Trg
www.facebook.com
yup it has that much of power on the engine but not on the wheel ,this car has 4 doors and its soo big and long,definely heavier than civic ek9 and ep3 .it will reduce around 80-90horsepower to the wheel just like my altezza ,210ps but on wheel only 125hp ,dyno at sunway
wow bro...ur altezza on wheel hp is so low meh???i thought on dyno u can
get at least 170-180 on 3s-gte engine.

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

i tried to install new ignition key for my car at Brothers Kelana jaya. the initial position of the ignition key hole is like normal car (like "I" if seen from driver seat). those people in brothers install it so it become like "-" and ergonomically is does't seem right to me. i bring back the car to them but they said it was properly install. do they right or i just have been cheated there?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience