Exhaust smell petrol

bikerz

Known Member
Nov 21, 2008
hi, my gt-t (auto) is stock, only i mod the exhaust backbox to be straight flow. now it smells petrol. do i need to remap my ecu, or something wrong with my car?

[PIMPIN]

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
hi, my gt-t (auto) is stock, only i mod the exhaust backbox to be straight flow. now it smells petrol. do i need to remap my ecu, or something wrong with my car?
When you change the exhaust, your car will run slightly richer but not to the point where you can smell the petrol while driving. Backbox means what exactly? I'm assuming you've removed the cat converter and gone for the usual 3" exhaust.

bikerz

Known Member
Nov 21, 2008
no, still stock pipe. but the backbox, or muffler, JFA has cut it and make it straight flow in there.

V-Spec

Nov 28, 2003
My car also have that lovely petrol smell. It's so much better than dodgy air fresheners. I love it!

bikerz

Known Member
Nov 21, 2008
let say it's o2 sensor fail, if i want to test, need another o2 sensor is it?

or do you really think need a remap? it's only a change on the backbox

Last edited:

[PIMPIN]

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
Short answer - no.

Heaps of Skylines with aftermarket exhausts running no ECU whatsoever. Simply changing your exhaust in the first place causes the car to run rich.

O2 sensor if fails then most obvious would be change in fuel consumption.

Blood Red

500 RPM
Jul 28, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
According to my mechanic, my O2 sensor gone already. You cn check this by doing a voltage reading (that's what he says la). Basically, a failed O2 sensor will give erratic reading.

Also, my exhaust does smell like the RM2.30/l petrol. Fuel consumption on Shell 97 is ~ 350km per full tank. I was told that this is on the high side for a standard (air filter & exhaust changes only) RB25.

[PIMPIN]

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
Whatever it is, you shouldn't be smelling petrol during normal driving or anytime inside the cabin. Standing behind the car is a different thing.

Since changing your exhaust, have you seen any changes in fuel consumption? When coming on boost, look in you rear view mirror - is there a lot of black smoke/more than usual? Is your rear bumper a lot blacker than before? Check your spark plugs - are they fouled?

If the car is running rich just because of the exhaust then I wouldn't worry about it. Once you change your blow-off valve even worse. But generally RBs tend to run rich with these basic mods minus any form of ECU or management - this is what I've noticed over the years having gone through all the RBs except the 30.

But if its something else such as the 02 sensor then it definitely wasn't caused by the new exhaust. Probably coincidental or has been faulty only now you've realized. But again, fuel consumption is easiest benchmark - you should know how many kms per tank and should notice any changes.

JaHaX

1,500 RPM
Sep 21, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
"Fuel consumption on Shell 97 is ~ 350km per full tank"

consider yourself lucky BR ... mine is only approximately 300km per full tank ... but the again, what the heck ... u gain some u lose some ... as jack black said "...u aint hardcore unless u live hardcore..." ... or smthing like that

[PIMPIN]

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
"Fuel consumption on Shell 97 is ~ 350km per full tank"

consider yourself lucky BR ... mine is only approximately 300km per full tank ... but the again, what the heck ... u gain some u lose some ... as jack black said "...u aint hardcore unless u live hardcore..." ... or smthing like that
Is this city driving? Or highway? Because my mileage varies ;)

Used to be full tank <200kms on highway but now that I'm older and slower, won't be as bad

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

all sifu here, i m new here. is that who know what is the prosedure for transplant engine?is that we can take back the part belong to our own car after modified?normally how we know that they will use all the part of the halfcut, if they dint do as what they provide can we as them to do for us?10s lot guy.hope u can help me.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience