Engine conversion procedure

cgui

500 RPM
Oct 20, 2004
Setapak
hi sifus ..

just need advice on engine conversion procedure from getting the engine from chop shop (need custom form rite?) to items that needs replacement, items to maintain form the 3.0L engine (i heard deffy said need to maintain the injectors rite?) and the full works lar ..

thanks

weikee

500 RPM
Jul 16, 2006
from 3L to 2.5L or 3L to 3L ?

01) you only need custom form for engine...others no custom form.
02) now if you change engine, you need to go inspection. even same CC
03) same CC inspection and update are cheaper than changing to lower / higher cc

cgui

500 RPM
Oct 20, 2004
Setapak
thinking of doing 2 things .. my friend is also interested ..

1) change from 3.0L to 2.5L (engine kosong only)
2) change from auto to manual box

we might be doing 1 of the following first depending on budget.

ongteckweng

5,000 RPM
Jul 15, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
thinking of doing 2 things .. my friend is also interested ..

1) change from 3.0L to 2.5L (engine kosong only)
2) change from auto to manual box

we might be doing 1 of the following first depending on budget.
cgui....honestly, u dont wanna change from 3.0 to 2.5 from just engine kosong....

cgui

500 RPM
Oct 20, 2004
Setapak
well tat is another problem .. heard a few bad reviews of just changing engine kosong .. no wiring .. & a lot of other things .. i remember Laucc changed fr. an engine kosong & was having a few problems till today rite?

hhhhmmm how I wish I fully paid my Cefiro .. then i could have the extra cash to do other stuff ..

ongteckweng

5,000 RPM
Jul 15, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
yeah...something like that....n also poor fc n lack of power. maybe deffy will tell u its d same...no need to change wiring etc....but after hearing some many -ve feedbacks, i think its better to change the whole lot rather just an engine kosong...

but if u do, keep the radiator + brake system...

weikee

500 RPM
Jul 16, 2006
if you looking for 2.5L 1/2 cut with low mileage let me know. i found one only 3.5k, but the down side is the 1/2 cut don't have abs.. you need to "kung fu" in your original abs.

patersonia

Known Member
May 28, 2006
from 3l to 2.5l, i also try bfr, mayb my mechanic dont have skill, the car only can reach til 140km/h, bt if wanna push more futher up, it take very long time to respond. tats the reason after i test drive my 2.5l engine, at last i decide to replace back my 3l engine.

cgui

500 RPM
Oct 20, 2004
Setapak
from 3l to 2.5l, i also try bfr, mayb my mechanic dont have skill, the car only can reach til 140km/h, bt if wanna push more futher up, it take very long time to respond. tats the reason after i test drive my 2.5l engine, at last i decide to replace back my 3l engine.
oh really? u changed back to 3L after the conversion?

i remember deffy telling if just replacing the 2.5L, we must use back the 3.0L injector & something else (which i've forgotten) ... cos the ECU is a 3.0L therefore when replacing a 2.5L things would be different in terms of fuel injectors, etc.

correct me if i'm wrong deffy.

defcon1

500 RPM
May 26, 2006
Retain 3.0l injectors, fuel rail, ecu, gearbox ecu, and measure the exhaust manifold to see if it is the same. I suspect that the manifold is narrower/smaller, and so is the rest of the exhaust system...

AFM...is common. I am currently using a 2l AFM in my car with no problems...

DO NOT make the common mistake of putting in a 2.5 litre engine, with 2.5 litre injectors but connected to a 3.0 litre ECU. You will run lean...and basically have no power or top end. When the AFM measures the amount of air going in, the ECU will interpret this volume into the equivalent in fuel and times an injection pulse. But it expects to find the bigger 3.0 litre injectors and delivers a pulse. If 2.5 litre injectors are present, for the same pulse width, less fuel is injected...hence, lean. If the difference is too large, the ECU gets confused because your O2 sensors will send back an unacceptable value, and the ECU may interpret it as O2 sensor failure instead of mismatched injectors but will not be able to detect anything electrically wrong with the O2 sensors. If the ECU is unable to resolve this conflict, it probably will go into "limp" mode...a safety mode to preserve the engine until it can be looked at by a mech.

Also, never match a 2.5 litre gearbox with a 3.0 litre gearbox ecu. I don't know for sure, cos I've never had the money to experiment...but I suspect the gearshifts will happen at the wrong times...

Y-pipe becomes mandatory to retain acceptable performance...

ongteckweng

5,000 RPM
Jul 15, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
Retain 3.0l injectors, fuel rail, ecu, gearbox ecu, and measure the exhaust manifold to see if it is the same. I suspect that the manifold is narrower/smaller, and so is the rest of the exhaust system...

AFM...is common. I am currently using a 2l AFM in my car with no problems...

DO NOT make the common mistake of putting in a 2.5 litre engine, with 2.5 litre injectors but connected to a 3.0 litre ECU. You will run lean...and basically have no power or top end. When the AFM measures the amount of air going in, the ECU will interpret this volume into the equivalent in fuel and times an injection pulse. But it expects to find the bigger 3.0 litre injectors and delivers a pulse. If 2.5 litre injectors are present, for the same pulse width, less fuel is injected...hence, lean. If the difference is too large, the ECU gets confused because your O2 sensors will send back an unacceptable value, and the ECU may interpret it as O2 sensor failure instead of mismatched injectors but will not be able to detect anything electrically wrong with the O2 sensors. If the ECU is unable to resolve this conflict, it probably will go into "limp" mode...a safety mode to preserve the engine until it can be looked at by a mech.

Also, never match a 2.5 litre gearbox with a 3.0 litre gearbox ecu. I don't know for sure, cos I've never had the money to experiment...but I suspect the gearshifts will happen at the wrong times...

Y-pipe becomes mandatory to retain acceptable performance...
the sifu has spoken...i guess deffy is right. so cgui...u can try now!!!

edgar_raphael

1,000 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
Visit site
seriously, why do you want to change from 3l to 2.5l, is it again because of road tax price?

I am trying to get SAFC into the 3L and I heard from another guy in Perth that it will give you as much as 20kWs increase over stock!

ongteckweng

5,000 RPM
Jul 15, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
seriously, why do you want to change from 3l to 2.5l, is it again because of road tax price?

I am trying to get SAFC into the 3L and I heard from another guy in Perth that it will give you as much as 20kWs increase over stock!
ed..roadtax is one of the main factors...paying between rm2100 n rm890...u choose...

i doubt u can get 20kw with just a SAFC...few kws maybe...but over 10%, unlikely...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hello all sifus and experts,

Just want to know what is the market price for the evo3 ecu+wiring+maf. Please advise. Thank you in advance.

**I apologize if I post in the wrong section**
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience