DIY car

imoloq

1,000 RPM
Nov 1, 2005
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. But they managed to drive it up to 160kph...must have real faith in that car.

bigboystoys

Known Member
Sep 25, 2004
anyone has a pic of that car?
pls post the link...

and anyone has the 2 students' contacts?
it's good to publicise these efforts and inspire the rest..

imoloq

1,000 RPM
Nov 1, 2005
Here's some pics. Anyone have a pic of the whole car? BTW the person sitting in the car is not me hehehe.

Steering wheel

Engine mount

Gear shifter. The black cable running alongside the shifter looks like a clutch cable. Can anyone verify this?

Word is that they are upgrading the car by putting in more electronics like traction control and such. I don't have the contact of the 2 students but one of them is doing his industrial training in Miri.

Last edited:

bigboystoys

Known Member
Sep 25, 2004
wow... nice
if you ask me.. i'd take my hats off to the 2 guys..

and the question of the car being crude or not...
i do agree that presentation is very important especially when it involves a lot of sponsors.. etc...
but at the same time, i recognise that appearance is that L-A-S-T thing on the minds of the 2 student-engineers when they were building this baby...

damn this brought back a lot of memories... sighhh.. wish i could do this all over again...

anyone that has their contacts, please pass to me...

thanks

imoloq

1,000 RPM
Nov 1, 2005
Crude but workable. I agree that presentablilty is the last thing on their minds. However, the fiberglass bodyshell was sponsored by someone and I think they should do a better job on it.

alien

2,000 RPM
Apr 21, 2004
kuala lumpur
Visit site
hi there,
im making a go kart w my coursemates..
a very very simple one.. esp compared to wat u guys hav been talking about..
our main aim is only to make it start-move-and stop..

anyway,
i need some parts,
im looking for a used kart frame..
and an engine..
im thinkin of a lawn mover engine.. or one from a fun kart..

help?

daijoubu86

Known Member
Aug 1, 2006
imoloq said:
Here's some pics. Anyone have a pic of the whole car? BTW the person sitting in the car is not me hehehe.

Steering wheel

Engine mount

Gear shifter. The black cable running alongside the shifter looks like a clutch cable. Can anyone verify this?

Word is that they are upgrading the car by putting in more electronics like traction control and such. I don't have the contact of the 2 students but one of them is doing his industrial training in Miri.
A student of UNITEN. That car is displayed at one of the Engineering faculty building, any1 can go see it. Gotta agree with stan that the car looks darn crude. The fibreglass bodywork looks like its folded from crumpled paper. If that body was sponsored, i'd sure wont want to buy anything from them :p.

That said, i wish they would display that thing nekkid. Its the innards thats interesting to see.

doublock

Known Member
Jul 25, 2005
Subang Jaya
hi guys... UTP did finished up the first car... building up the car was really a heap of ass-grinding effort... Suprisingly, we managed to build the first edition of the car (SF-01) in less than three months... the shit and all with the finance and procurement were quite problematic, seeing that the project was budgetted at 200K (the car costed, on paper, less than 60K)....

Right now, the 2007 team, they are building the 2nd edition, SF-02, from scratch... from last year's experience, budget and location were basically THE main factor... Design was second... materials and components werent able to be sourced locally, majority of them were sourced from a motorsports supplier in US....

The DIY car could be initiated by first building a mockup... nothing that is too precise.... mockup really helps the fabrication process, especially, when experience is the deciding factor, whether the car is feasible to build or not.

in 2006, i headded the UTP FSAE team, i've graduated this year, but still acting as an external advisor to the team... if any you guys are interested in the whole deal; cost,design, fabrication,purchasing, jigs. etc (anything that is relatively relevant to building a DIY car), let me know, i'll give some insights on the matter... let me know

[email protected]

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Cessation of breathing, One of the challenges in defining death is in distinguishing it from life............

alien at work

Making impossible possible????????

The word death comes from Old English deað, which in turn comes from Proto-Germanic *dauþaz (reconstructed by etymological analysis) This comes from the Proto-Indo-European stem *dheu- meaning the...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience