[DIY] Automatic Gearbox Cooler

shawida

Nov 3, 2006
So when you're gonna install a cooler? :biggrin: Actually, there are some cars that come with a big cooler. The Pajero, Evo 7 GTA and a few other big cars have coolers already.

The alternative to coolers is to use really really good ATF. Motul vs stock Perodua (Daihatsu) Dexron III for example is like comparing a Lambo with a Vios.
Unfortunately it seem the space below the bumper on my Hyundai Atos are too tight la to locate any additional cooler...so I think for now I stick to really good ATF :s:..

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
Unfortunately it seem the space below the bumper on my Hyundai Atos are too tight la to locate any additional cooler...so I think for now I stick to really good ATF :s:..
then u put like this lorrr.... :biggrin:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Shawida : When there's a will there's a way. Cut the bumper! :biggrin: I had to cut a bit off mine to allow air to flow through. Otherwise by default it was sealed off. And on my Wira I cut a bit too to allow it to move around a bit without banging my bumper

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
here i share u mine wit bumper cut to clear the oil cooler fan motor from hitting my a/c coil...

1)frontal view
2)fan+motor view from top
3)side bracket sharing from hood lock brace
4)roughly done due to time constrain..even the cooler senget abit...but now all rectified and aligned properly :driver:

p/s:my cooling fan wiring i use separate switch...(donwan to hook with radiator fan switch so i can freely keep the ATF extra cool on hot sunny dah jamm)

Attachments

ShamBlur

Known Member
Jan 1, 2006
Shamblur bro, if you are in JB drop by my place and i try to help you. I have the same AE111 and also auto :)

Thanks for the offer bro avielboys... but i'm in sarawak...hahaaahaa..if not my ae111 already mod kaw2...

btw these are the pics that i took..sorry it took a long time..

Attachments

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
shamblur....yes u got those atf cooler pipe....and u can proceed as iszo posted in this thread...

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Thanks for the offer bro avielboys... but i'm in sarawak...hahaaahaa..if not my ae111 already mod kaw2...

btw these are the pics that i took..sorry it took a long time..
Hmm... I can't really identify what I'm looking at. If those are the hoses coming out from the GB, then yes - that's your ATF hose that you'd want to use to install the cooler.

avielboys

Known Member
Nov 14, 2008
JB, Johor
powerpackengineering.blogspot.com
Hi Shamblur,

the 2 slim hoses next to the radiator pipe is the ATF gearbox hoses which runs to the radiator.
There is a way to connect the oil cooler not sure better or worst ...

Install the atf oil cooler between the radiator and gearbox.

1 pipe to radiator, radiator 1 pipe to atf cooler, atf cooler 1 pipe back to gearbox ...

can consider this setup ... some pple jus totally ignore the radiator and use the atf cooler only ...

---------- Post added at 07:48 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 07:47 AM ----------

make sure you find a spot with air coming in and not blocking most of the radiator and condenser ...

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
sifu2 sekalian.
would fitting a pajero cooling coil on crv hurt the gearbox?
cuz pajero parts macam very big2 1. :confused:
The Pajero cooling coil? What cooling coil? You can use the gearbox cooler from Pajero. In fact mine is a Pajero cooler. Ok what.

12savefuel

Known Member
Dec 10, 2008
Things needed :
My cooler was taken from a Volvo. Not too small, not too big. I have to saw off the metal lines and just use a little bit of the line protruding out to connect to the hoses. Make sure you clean the cooler and ensure the oil lines are not blocked. In my case one of the lines had so much rubbish it was almost clogged. Use a little degreaser and force feed the oil line with a strong water hose to clear it out.
When you sawed off the line of the original and left abit of the line protruding out to connect the hose did you flare the original pipe. If not I suggest you do as the pressure and vibration plus the slipperiness of the ATF might pop the pipe off. Use a flaring tool, if the pipe is too hard bring to machine shop to get it flared so the hose clip and the hose wont pop off.

Good DIY job by the way. I also have a similar set up on my nissan cefiro and has worked well for 14 yrs. Still using the original trans with no problems and the trans has done about 280,000km+++ with 50k oil change interval.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
When you sawed off the line of the original and left abit of the line protruding out to connect the hose did you flare the original pipe. If not I suggest you do as the pressure and vibration plus the slipperiness of the ATF might pop the pipe off. Use a flaring tool, if the pipe is too hard bring to machine shop to get it flared so the hose clip and the hose wont pop off.

Good DIY job by the way. I also have a similar set up on my nissan cefiro and has worked well for 14 yrs. Still using the original trans with no problems and the trans has done about 280,000km+++ with 50k oil change interval.
That's actually a very good idea! I had to resort to using PTFE tape to wrap the line to snug-fit the hoses in. The screw-type clamps I'm using is tight enough to hold it in place, even brute force to try to yank the thing out is impossible at this point of time so I guess so far so good.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Need ur advice here guys. Where I can find a good service mod shop to fix my suspension in Klang Valley? N1, SS, KSP....? Basically I need they can give good advice on which suspension I should get, not bias like Kakimotor always HWL... :(

At this moment, I'm planning to get Koni Yellow + Eibach for my EK (4doors). Where can I get these with good price and best service? ;)

My objective is not bumpy, more on comfort yet lower the car to 25-40mm.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience