[DIY] Automatic Gearbox Cooler

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
should be gearbox cooler. wont too cool ah?

not sure also. got so many cooler?
i dunno which is which.
No such thing as too cool one la. If you can keep the gearbox oil cool all the time then you'd have a pretty good working gearbox. Before I installed this cooler I used to cook my gearbox everytime I drove aggressively up (and down) Genting since I use only gear 1 and 2, and heavily engine brake. Always end up parked somewhere by the side of the road to let it cool down before continuing. Now with the cooler I don't have that problem anymore.

What Aviel said is true, as long as the cooler isnt gigantic, you won't lose too much pressure and that won't affect the pump in your gearbox.

PUTRA14

Ji
Jul 12, 2005
BT.CAVES
It is a very good DIY especially for malaysian weather however my worries are only on oil line and oil cooler,it needs constant care on oil lines and cooler especially on leakage and pressure,as I know the pressure on the lines are more compared while on the gearbox itself so when there is slight leakage it burst out like open wound on the other hand if it is just the gearbox even any oil spill will not effect much as it drips slightly in longer period of time depends on the gasket.Whats ur opinion on this guys?

Last edited:

12savefuel

Known Member
Dec 10, 2008
Do u bypass the raditor?
You should bypass the radiator because the radiator will have less heat load from the trans when its hot and vice versa the radiator will not heat the trans oil up as the radiator temp is usually about 85-90degs. Only problem with bypassing the radiator is that some trans needs to warmup to have smoother shifts without the radiator heating up the trans fluid it will take longer for the trans to warm up. If you decide to not bypass the radiator, install the external cooler after the radiator.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Do u bypass the raditor?
I bypass the original cooling line if that's what you're asking.

kalau nk pasang oil engine cooler kena ad adaptor ker?
or same like atf cooler just hose only
Engine oil coolers are the same as ATF oil coolers. The only difference is how they are connected to the car. Engine oil coolers need the oil filter adaptor and people usually use steel braided hoses. For ATF it's fine to just use rubber hoses and no need for adaptors.

It is a very good DIY especially for malaysian weather however my worries are only on oil line and oil cooler,it needs constant care on oil lines and cooler especially on leakage and pressure,as I know the pressure on the lines are more compared while on the gearbox itself so when there is slight leakage it burst out like open wound on the other hand if it is just the gearbox even any oil spill will not effect much as it drips slightly in longer period of time depends on the gasket.Whats ur opinion on this guys?
True! Always check your lines for leakages. Use good quality flexible automotive rubber hoses and use good clamps to hold everything in place.

The pressure isn't enough to make it spurt out like an open tap la. I've experienced a leak and it was because the line was bent and the clamps didn't clamp properly so it leaks like someone who wanted to pee but couldn't and just peed ins his pants. :biggrin:

You should bypass the radiator because the radiator will have less heat load from the trans when its hot and vice versa the radiator will not heat the trans oil up as the radiator temp is usually about 85-90degs. Only problem with bypassing the radiator is that some trans needs to warmup to have smoother shifts without the radiator heating up the trans fluid it will take longer for the trans to warm up. If you decide to not bypass the radiator, install the external cooler after the radiator.
Sifu has spoken! True and truth!

In the case of my Myvi and Wira though, it doesn't need warming up so it works great for me either way. For more advanced cars like the Golf and all, they work differently and usually for cars at that price range, they come with ATF coolers anyway.

12savefuel

Known Member
Dec 10, 2008
In the case of my Myvi and Wira though, it doesn't need warming up so it works great for me either way. For more advanced cars like the Golf and all, they work differently and usually for cars at that price range, they come with ATF coolers anyway.
The ATF cooler in my cefiro with the radiator bypassed, when its cold the shifts not so smooth.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
The ATF cooler in my cefiro with the radiator bypassed, when its cold the shifts not so smooth.
Arlow kawan, your car is a more sophisticated, more expensive and way bigger car than my 3-speed Wira and humble Myvi!

What sort of oil does it use? Is it a normal 5-speed torque converter gearbox type?

12savefuel

Known Member
Dec 10, 2008
Arlow kawan, your car is a more sophisticated, more expensive and way bigger car than my 3-speed Wira and humble Myvi!

What sort of oil does it use? Is it a normal 5-speed torque converter gearbox type?
Ai yah don't say until like that lah, its just a 4 speed torque converter gearbox. I'm current using DexronIII by Sk lube(korean and I can get it cheap). What causes the slightly rougher shift when cold I think is because of the viscosity of the oil. When cold the oil is slightly thicker compared to when its hot which causes the slightly rougher shift.

GNandGS

Known Member
Feb 24, 2006

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
It's about there. But if you ask for a Hayden or something like from EA Autoworks Drexchan they charge a little more for a brand new set including install. Unless you want to save that 100+ cash, I suggest you get a new one. Cuz those chopshop ones you'll need to modify to fit it nicely

sarled

Known Member
Sep 14, 2012
Semenyih
12savefuel gave some good advice: the auto trans makes a LOT of pressure. Be sure you use good hose with flared lines. Regular fuel hose is NOT what you want... you need something with a better rating and doesnt break down.

ATF can burn and if you have a leak under pressure you risk killing the trans. All for a cooler very few cars actually need.

Transmission Maintenance - Keep Your Transmission Cooler - Car Craft Magazine
Do I Need An Auxiliary Automatic Transmission Cooler?
I recently installed a 21row cooler on my Perdana V6, bought it for RM320 Hayden. Had some problems finding transmission oil hose so I used Unigawa's fuel hose that was rated to 150psi (I know I shouldn't). At least the pressure rating seemed acceptable. I am now worried about the temperature rating of the hose. The Unigawa website says it's only rated to 70 deg C. Anyway, it's still running fine now, but can you tell me where I can find transmission oil hoses for sale?

---------- Post added at 08:06 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 07:59 AM ----------

Engine oil coolers are the same as ATF oil coolers. The only difference is how they are connected to the car. Engine oil coolers need the oil filter adaptor and people usually use steel braided hoses. For ATF it's fine to just use rubber hoses and no need for adaptors.

QUOTE]

Errrmmm, you need to be careful. Engine oil coolers are not normally the same as transmission oil coolers. At least they shouldn't be. Engine oil pumps are gear type pumps which are what they call positive displacement (i.e. high pressure). Transmission is a centrifugal pump (lower pressure). You would normally see engine oil coolers being the fin-tube of frame type, not like the radiator style of the transmission oil cooler.

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi,

I owned a 2011 Kia Sportage, already clocked 50k km.
So far, it is a good ride, no problem whatsoever...
The only problem that keep haunting me is, this car is seriously underpower

For those that are not familiar with Kia Sportage, you can read them here:
Kia Sportage SL 2.0L in Malaysia - technical walkaround

My question, what is the easiest way to gain significant...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience