Differences between K3-VE and K3-VET

Jun 29, 2011
Australia
Hey everyone,

I've been looking for a daihatsu K3-VET engine in japan to import to australia, which has been extremely hard due to the demand for them.

K3-VE engines are quite common and cheap in australia, and I was wondering what will be required to convert one to be turbo. The piping/turbo install is easy, but I don't know if the VET engine uses lower compression pistons.

Would it be as simple as getting a turbo manifold, K3-VET ecu and low compression pistons to make it the equivalent of a K3-VET? Or are there more differences between the two?

Thanks

route

Apr 11, 2005
hey mate, i'm driving a daihatsu sirion with a K3VE engine. the difference is only the compression ratio. I actually bought the K3vet turbine, pipings, intercooler and injectors and it fits perfectly. Am using emanage ultimate as ecu as the original K3VET ecu from the YRV turbo does not fit my Sirion due to some difference in the wiring.

Jenga

Jun 29, 2011
Australia
Nice! Did you change the pistons to the low compression ones? Or are you only running low boost?

I heard the plugs on the ECU's are different, so that would make sense. Anyone have some K3VET pistons for sale? lol

route

Apr 11, 2005
i'm using the stock pistons compression ratio 10 running on 0.5bar of boost...
K3VET pistons can be found in my country for SGD$200 (set of 4), not sure about Australia thou.

Jenga

Jun 29, 2011
Australia
Fair enough. I doubt i'd be able to find the low compression pistons in australia, I'd probably have to get someone to ship a set to me. I still have to buy the engine first though :P

Thanks for the advice :biggrin:

jub

Jan 14, 2012
Brisbane
Koo I'm trying to do the same in Australia, but i also want the track4 awd in my sirion
Apparently the yaris 1.5 is the same engine but the compression rate is higher
I'm looking at the terious rear diff which is 5 stud so ill also swipe the front hubs as well
I'm keen for some more dirt for any part of this conversion
Thanx

karl_razlie

500 RPM
Apr 25, 2005
Puchong
waaa how come very hard to get in australia, when we in malaysia can find this engine easily..here price around RM5k to 7k depend on spec.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
jub..perhaps u can look for daihatsu boon x4 running gear and engine? :adore:

jub

Jan 14, 2012
Brisbane
i had a look for the boon but its a 1L, i was looking to keep my block K3-VE2 (1.3) Fwd, & make it K3-VET-X4, the australian market didnt let the Awd sirion or YRV in, also the turbo engins are "apparently" to big of power to weight ratio,
I also have a manual and love it, but the YRV turbo is an auto box & ecu/ems, (ill use an aftermarket one)
I am trying to save for a front cut YRV-turbo & would like it to have the Awd transfer case coz its East-West mount, the terios is North-south mount(poo).
Apparently i can get anything through monster imports (Aust) but they arn't cheep also 247spares UK.

aHLengChai

Known Member
Aug 21, 2006
although THIS is old thread but wanna ask a few question.. how to identify in between k3ve and k3ve2?

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
assuming the engine has not been taken apart, i guess the ecu would be a good telltale?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Nevermind. I found it it's the Daihatsu Storia

Looking at the info online, it looks damn similar to the K3VE if there any differences at all!

aHLengChai

Known Member
Aug 21, 2006
sotoria and toyota duet.. plus it has RS / X4 (120HP) model too.. ve and ve2 the differences is on the HP and torque is a lil bit high.. roughly 109hp in stock condition..

halfcut price for ve2 is damn expensive aswell.. :)

im planning to fit in my kenari 2004.. wondering pro n cons by doing this mod in long term.. spare parts availability.. special custom parts? etc etc..

Last edited:

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
sotoria and toyota duet.. plus it has RS / X4 (120HP) model too.. ve and ve2 the differences is on the HP and torque is a lil bit high.. roughly 109hp in stock condition..

halfcut price for ve2 is damn expensive aswell.. :)

im planning to fit in my kenari 2004.. wondering pro n cons by doing this mod in long term.. spare parts availability.. special custom parts? etc etc..
from what i can understand main dif is its ecu and comp (with some bits here and there changed)
im als guessing that you can tell if its a ve2 if you check the ecu (i guess techometer also boleh? not sure tho)

*if i were you and really wnated to transplant the kenari, > yrv is over there, ready to plonk in ad more common that this..

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I was certainly not invited to a media dinner held by VW for the local guests in Germany, but I managed to snap these new beautiful VW Beetles from a distance. This was a closed event, where people get to test drive the VW Beetles and get to actually dine in with some good food...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience