D.I.Y Megasquirt

MazToy

May 19, 2006
Dudes,
I'm in the process of converting my BMW E30 to Nissan SR20DET turbo power. The engine wiring will be from the half cut so initially it will run with standard ECU. I plan on installing MegaSquirt so I can have control of tuning it myself.

I've done engine swaps and tuning myself a few times in Australia so am going to build the MS myself (I do electronics for a living) and tune it also with the help of my wideband meter (also built myself).

The MS is available from a number of sources but I have already had email correspondence with Glen's Garage in the USA which is where I will buy mine from. If anyone is interested in how it goes together or how good it is drop me a pm and we can stay in touch.

I live in Sungai Besi Indah.

Cheers,
Bill

kennethfong

500 RPM
Aug 11, 2004
hi guys,

this megasquirt thing, is it a piggyback or standalone?? ur suggesting that we can build it by ourselves?? harnesses? dyno proven? wat kind of features? wat and how many parameters will the cpu consider? for any car or jus for certain models or certain ECUs??

hope to get an answer for all these.... thanz

MazToy

May 19, 2006
Ken,
It is a complete standalone unit. Do yourself a big favour and do some research -
http://www.megasquirt.info/ and also
http://www.glensgarage.com/catalog/index.php
will answer ALL of your questions. I will buy my MSII from Glen when I'm ready in the next few months. It will require some expertise with a soldering iron though and a good deal of common sense. If you aren't prepared to do this yourself or don't know anything about electronics then find someone who does and you are willing to hire to do the job. I am capable but don't have a lot of time to spare.

Good luck and stay in touch,
Bill

kennethfong

500 RPM
Aug 11, 2004
bill,

well thanks for the reference, though not many proton owners i c from the 'successful stories', i dunno whether i'm qualified to say i have the basics in electronics, i used to solder on plain pcb but all with instructions, i hope the megasquirt is not a lego without the book......

in order for a vehicle to work, there are many considerations for the ecu to function properly, not all below but basically applies for most cars let me try to list out:

1) injectors obviously
2) Air cond fan / radiator fan
3) idle speed controller (ISC)
4) valve positioning sensor
5) EGR solenoid
6) air flow sensor
7) air cond compressor
8) tacho
9) ignition timing
10) electric load sensor
11) throttle positioning sensor

dunno wat else ecu will control but i believe there'll be more, do i need to furnish myself to possess all these parameters up to PHD level in order to use this megasquirt???

i have my own notebook, i plan to get a 7inch monitor with vga input n plonk it straight to the real time monitoring that maybe available from mayb if this works out then megasquirt or any other piggybacks.... just a long term planning.....

also where can i find a GSR ecu direct installation guide for this megasquirt?? best if it's made foolproof for dummies (like me).

Last edited:

ivan78

Known Member
Mar 24, 2005
i buy from www.diyautotune.com MS2 V3 board for 250 USD. next time i will just buy the PCB and shop for the rest in malaysia.
anywhere, any successful squirter in malaysia?
i plan to run on 4age, still researching.

GT4WD

500 RPM
Jul 3, 2006
hi guys..

Anyone able to provide the jalan pasar shop to get the all component ?
the list of parts i need and the instrution to build the squirt ? just to confirm if i got the wrong one.

i would like to have the V3 version.
http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/V3assemble.htm

Appreciate for your assist.

EG9

2,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
Subang Jaya
very good topic...keep on going. I still doing some research on this megasquirt. Hope I can sucessfully run this ECU in my 4AGE 20V.

cipan_supercas

1,500 RPM
Feb 4, 2004
Shah Alam
www.draxecu.com
EG9 said:
very good topic...keep on going. I still doing some research on this megasquirt. Hope I can sucessfully run this ECU in my 4AGE 20V.
Should have no problem to run that MSquirt with a 4age. It have been installed into alot of those models including MR2. You can also order the wiring harness adapter for 4AGE to simplify your install.

nai putra

Known Member
Dec 8, 2005
i wanna to

1. fzavier
2. Kodiak
3. pinkdotdesigns
4. lancersr20
5. zamiex
6. nai putra

ivan78

Known Member
Mar 24, 2005
Akat said:
approx. RM200.. i did once... add another RM20 for the stimulator and RM100 for megaview.. the relay board just use the existed relay u have...
can you sell me megaview?

leftfoot

Known Member
Apr 9, 2006
izzit too late for me to join u guys? i want to megasquirt!!!! oops.. i want Megasquirt...

MazToy

May 19, 2006
Hi Guys,

Just thought I'd inform you all I will not be going the MegaSquirt path (not yet anyway). The prime reason for changing to the MS was the power for the price in being able to tune my SR20DET engine in my E30 BMW.

BUT I have since found an interface that will allow me to tune the standard Nissan ECU I use and also defeat the fuel and speed cuts... quite cheaply.

All that is required is an interface to connect to the ECU (allows a laptop to monitor everything by running some free software) and a small pcb daughterboard to save any changes. For all the details see: http://www.plmsdevelopments.com/index.shtml

Cheers,
Bill

lanlee

Jun 4, 2006
I also wan to joint, but 1st, can it run WAJA engine. if ccan it will be interesting. I just received my board. now going to buy all the other componens. can help me buy kah?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi Guys

Need a little bit of help here.

I am planning to strip my aluminum hood of its paint and to leave it in raw aluminum. Does anyone know where I can get the paint to be stripped off and then polish the hood to a mirror finish ? or at least to a shiny finish ?

Something like this.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2780/4452014697_8e16f696c4.jpg

Any indication on what's the cost like ?

Thanks in advance for the advise
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience