curious bout brake oil used.... help needed !!

jack_736

Known Member
Oct 13, 2005
heyz guyz...
jus went n serviced my vios at the Segambut service centre ...
its a 2005 model, 1.5 G ....
i noticed tt they use DOT 3 brake oil, instead of the newer DOT4
whn i asked the guy whether it was a technical mistake, he said no... :confused_smile:
apparently all toyota models use DOT 3 oil...
i asked him hw about the new camry n facelifted vios ?
he said yea, they also use DOT 3 oils...

im quite surprised, cos my wira SE 2005 model uses DOT 4 oil...
even other proton cars use DOT 4 oil...

why is toyota using old brake oil ie DOT 3, n not d latest ie DOT 4 ?
even proton is using DOT 4, so why not toyota, who is light years ahead tech wise.. :Not_Impressed:
can someone plse enlighten me ?
would my braking quality be affected ??
or am i a singled out case, whom jus got conned by them?
help much appreciated frm all d sifu's out ther...

thx

S

sincere1

What dot of brake fluid to be used for your car model, you can check it out from the cap of the brake fluid reservoir in your car, the DOT is indicated on the cap.

the different between the dot 3 & 4
dot 4 has higher wet and dry boiling point than dot 3
however, you may need to consider the hydrophilic properties, it means the degree of water/moisture absortion, besides, dot 4 is slightly more viscous than dot 3, it may not suitable for some model car, therefore u better check the manufacturer's recoomendation indicated in the cap.

i am using DOT5.1 highest boiling point (comparison with DOT 3&4), it is not necessary to use this DOT 5.1, provided u drive fast and heavy brake frequently.
Noted DOT 5 is synthetic base, it would not absort any moiture, thus it is not recommended for commercial car

bear in mind that the important issue is no matter what dot u using, it is better to change u brake fluid every 1-2 years (depends your brake frequency), the brake fluid is hydrophilic ! the moisture will reduce the boiling point, and also reduce your 'feel' on the brake pedal..

sache

Known Member
Nov 7, 2006
Dont get it wrong, even though toyota still use dot 3 oil & non-brembo brake or other brand, their braking still good compare lancer evo, mazda rx8 and sti.
if you watch some BMI videos, you will understand what im gonna point out. what ever it is, toyota live for more than 100 years compare to proton, what proton hav?

netmatrix

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
P Jaya:Malaysia
kh_tan.tripod.com
Dot 3 is correct. Its the minimum. Dot 4 offers better heat resistance and doesn't attract water moisture easily. But then again, we have to look at the design of the braking systems first. Having higher Dot rating does not means better braking performance.

Oh yeah, sincere1's Dot 5.1 is only used for race purposes. And you need upgraded brake hose to use them.

leilz

Known Member
Dec 1, 2006
what will happen if dot3 n 4 are mixed together...???

netmatrix

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
P Jaya:Malaysia
kh_tan.tripod.com
No! you should not mix both grades together. First off you don't know what other chemical they used for different grades. Even if it is the same brand. You cannot mix like engine oil. For brakes, you better don't play play.

It is also stated that to change grades you need to flush the braking system altogether. That you need specal brake flushing machine.

Nobody
Helmet Clan
Dec 21, 2005
dot 3 & 4 diff viscousity sure will generate diff pressure,try to imagine ur braking runnig with diff pressure...dun play-play

leilz

Known Member
Dec 1, 2006
woo...what a danger i'm facing now.....well i guess it's the right time to correct this.....before it's too late

pcmoddingmy

1,000 RPM
Mar 23, 2006
www.pcmoddingmy.com
I'm using DOT 4 on my LE with AE11 4AGE 20V brake system. Although the fluid cap suggests using DOT 3, my mech told me that it would be "ok" to use DOT 4 since the entire system has been flushed down during conversion.

rollakid

4,000 RPM
Nov 9, 2004
Kuching Sarawak
Visit site
I'm using DOT 4 on my LE with AE11 4AGE 20V brake system. Although the fluid cap suggests using DOT 3, my mech told me that it would be "ok" to use DOT 4 since the entire system has been flushed down during conversion.
true, as long as you flush the whole system and not mixing them, they will work. mine too, says dot 3 yet i use dot 4, so far so good.

never uses dot 5, dot 5 and 5.1 are totally different, just to warn those who don't know (and to those who want make water balloon out of brake fluid as well, dot 5 won't work). dot 5 will give spongy feeling to the brakes or clutches as far as i know, they are compressible to a certain degree.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Anyway around kl or selangor doing custom* engine parts like customer intake manifold and crankshafts?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience