about 4age 16v distributor

mediocre2

Known Member
Jun 25, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
can i mod my 16v distributor into a ignition coil pack system?

reason is i need clearance for my manifold...need some help here i have seen many having their coil packs on the firewall but i cant seem to catch how they do it...

i know its a dumb question...

kindly help please!!! thanks!

as you can see in the pictures, i have circled the coil packs where initially the cables are connected to the distributor but now its gone connecting to the coil packs... wonder how they achieve this. thanks!

Attachments

Last edited:

cuscostrutbrace

500 RPM
Jul 10, 2004
You need a stand alone ECU with 2 ignition output. In those photos i presume it is using 4AGZE Ecu which is already distributorless.There is a crude way to do it with stock ecu which involve tricking the ecu with additonal ignition converter(this is DIY stuff).Also MDI from japan have a product to convert distributor to Distributorless,not many of those around and its expensive.There are people using 2 ecu,stock ecu for fueling and 2nd ecu (normally 4AGZE ecu) is used to control ignition.

For me,the best way is still stand alone ecu.

mediocre2

Known Member
Jun 25, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
You need a stand alone ECU with 2 ignition output. In those photos i presume it is using 4AGZE Ecu which is already distributorless.There is a crude way to do it with stock ecu which involve tricking the ecu with additonal ignition converter(this is DIY stuff).Also MDI from japan have a product to convert distributor to Distributorless,not many of those around and its expensive.There are people using 2 ecu,stock ecu for fueling and 2nd ecu (normally 4AGZE ecu) is used to control ignition.

For me,the best way is still stand alone ecu.

so lets say i took of the distributor and use the coil pack in my 4age, could i just replace the 4agze ecu and go with it? do i need further modification to the missing distributor? thanks for your info.

cuscostrutbrace

500 RPM
Jul 10, 2004
You need the 4AGZE crank angle sensor to replace the distributor,4AGZE igniter and 4AGZE wiring,but i would not advice this mod because 4AGZE is forced induction,the timing curve on the stock ecu is different from n/a timing curve.Also engine load input will be different as the different MAP sensor used between n/a and forced induction.Although you can advance the distributor to get the timing,but it wont be as efficient as n/a factory timing curve.The 4AGZE ecu is never intended for n/a application.

vh-101

500 RPM
Dec 14, 2006
so best is still standalone with gze crank angle sensor ( i am using mitsubishi crank angle sensor + gze distrobutor). Engine is Blacktop 20v.

cuscostrutbrace

500 RPM
Jul 10, 2004
so best is still standalone with gze crank angle sensor ( i am using mitsubishi crank angle sensor + gze distrobutor). Engine is Blacktop 20v.
I dont understand why u need two crank angle sensor(mitsubishi and GZE).Btw..GZE does not have a distributor,except GZE from AW11 MR2.

If u using standalone,u can use any crank angle sensor you want,but u have to make it fit to the engine.

mediocre2

Known Member
Jun 25, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
You need the 4AGZE crank angle sensor to replace the distributor,4AGZE igniter and 4AGZE wiring,but i would not advice this mod because 4AGZE is forced induction,the timing curve on the stock ecu is different from n/a timing curve.Also engine load input will be different as the different MAP sensor used between n/a and forced induction.Although you can advance the distributor to get the timing,but it wont be as efficient as n/a factory timing curve.The 4AGZE ecu is never intended for n/a application.

yeah bro, so if i plug off the distributor, i need to replace it with a 4AGZE crank angle sensor right?

then the igniter and wiring and also need ecu from 4agze right? hmmm no worries on the timing and MAP sensor, i will be running turbo thats why i need some guide from ppl on the distributor mod into distributorless.

also one more question, theres also another plug cable connected to another thing, whats that called? is it the igniter?

cuscostrutbrace

500 RPM
Jul 10, 2004
yeah bro, so if i plug off the distributor, i need to replace it with a 4AGZE crank angle sensor right?

then the igniter and wiring and also need ecu from 4agze right? hmmm no worries on the timing and MAP sensor, i will be running turbo thats why i need some guide from ppl on the distributor mod into distributorless.

also one more question, theres also another plug cable connected to another thing, whats that called? is it the igniter?
Yes,if you running turbo,should be no problem,just transplant all wiring+sensors+ecu and whatever nescessary.Plug cable for GZE only connect the plug to the coil..nothing else

vh-101

500 RPM
Dec 14, 2006
I dont understand why u need two crank angle sensor(mitsubishi and GZE).Btw..GZE does not have a distributor,except GZE from AW11 MR2.

If u using standalone,u can use any crank angle sensor you want,but u have to make it fit to the engine.
Sry wrong info. I am not using gze crank angle sensor because i couldn't get 1. So i have to use 20v distributor and mod the mitsu crank angle sensor to it. Its nt gze distributor, gze coil packs (the 4 things which connects the 4 plug cables)

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Anyone smell this before inside your car?

I smell this for quite a long time and my workshop can't diagnose it.

Anybody can help here?

Thanks!
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience