Choice of Project Car

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Not sure about the chassis between non R3 and R3. but the Satria Neo Clubsport is even limited edition than the R3 model.
It has road legal roll cage as mentioned. Really hard to spot any on the road so far.

If your budget is around Satria Neo R3 price tag, RM60K - RM70K, maybe can consider this car?

Nissan S15, stock manual but normal aspirated engine.

http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/cars-for-sale/431791-for-sale-nissan-silvia-s15.html?

Can transplant a SR20DET later one :smile:

cRazYee

Known Member
Oct 7, 2005
Dude to low budget. I think satria should be the best choice for me.

Question, anyone can shed some light, Satria first veroson, SE, GTI, R3 & newer neo, neo R3
Chassis stiffness on those car
Which got the best chassis?

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008

Question, anyone can shed some light, Satria first veroson, SE, GTI, R3 & newer neo, neo R3
U forgot Neo Clubsport bro. Neo Clubsport have the best chassis :top:
But is not easy to find on that is one sale. or maybe the Lotus R3 Neo is another choice
after Clubsport Neo.

U can google and see about Satria, is written about the models in there.

cRazYee

Known Member
Oct 7, 2005
U forgot Neo Clubsport bro. Neo Clubsport have the best chassis :top:
But is not easy to find on that is one sale. or maybe the Lotus R3 Neo is another choice
after Clubsport Neo.

U can google and see about Satria, is written about the models in there.
for the price of Lotus R3, I rather go for Proper EK9, DC5, FR joys like you mention
call me stereotype, but at least i know what those Type R made of from.
Even put me in the chance for S2000 AP1, or Lotus Elise

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
for the price of Lotus R3, I rather go for Proper EK9, DC5, FR joys like you mention
call me stereotype, but at least i know what those Type R made of from.
Even put me in the chance for S2000 AP1, or Lotus Elise
Ya, Lotus R3 I always find it overpriced like you said can get a S2000:biggrin:
DC5/Civic Type R is indeed a nice choice.

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
so far, havent make up my mind.
Obviously GE13 plays vital role. Could change everything

what do you have in mind? Continue your Mini? wonder if you dont mind to shed some Mini Cooper S potential in this context

I found that Malaysian enjoy paying someone to do mod, rather DIY. I think these skill is fun to learn, although isnt essential
The R53 MCS can be tweaked to 190whp safely and even 240whp with a sprintex supercharger. It won't win races or clock 230 at sepang time attack events (generally) but is a good base for great fun. Great cockpit with inspiring 6-speed shifter and well designed pedal layout for fantastic driving feel. With minimal setup, it can also play with the bigger boys up the hills.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL

Satria first version is normal. Same with SE except for exhaust and body kit.
GTI uses c99 chassis which is stiffer a lot (I think it's C99. Pls correct if wrong)
Satria R3 is the best Satria you can buy with a spot welded GTI chassis and shitloads of Recaros and Momos and stuff. Engine's great too.

I don't really fancy the Neos except the clubsport. I'd change that engine but keep the chassis and everything. Bucket seats included.

CountersteerSan

Known Member
Feb 16, 2013
Johor
if illegal, get a s13/s14, integra or any car of your choice for rm10k, import it back from Japan & mod it.....
Illegal as in track use only right? If we like buy JDM cars from Japan just for the purpose of track usage (drift/drag/time attack), do we still have to pay like those like import tax and stuff? If we don't have to, then modding a project JDM that doesn't go on public roads won't cost that much right?

cRazYee

Known Member
Oct 7, 2005
hope this topic can keep rolling.
I always fancy ppl rebuild old car, especially Hondas.

---------- Post added at 12:27 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:26 PM ----------

Satria first version is normal. Same with SE except for exhaust and body kit.
GTI uses c99 chassis which is stiffer a lot (I think it's C99. Pls correct if wrong)
Satria R3 is the best Satria you can buy with a spot welded GTI chassis and shitloads of Recaros and Momos and stuff. Engine's great too.

I don't really fancy the Neos except the clubsport. I'd change that engine but keep the chassis and everything. Bucket seats included.
like your last paragraph.

Thanks for the insight about GTI!

---------- Post added at 12:29 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:27 PM ----------

The R53 MCS can be tweaked to 190whp safely and even 240whp with a sprintex supercharger. It won't win races or clock 230 at sepang time attack events (generally) but is a good base for great fun. Great cockpit with inspiring 6-speed shifter and well designed pedal layout for fantastic driving feel. With minimal setup, it can also play with the bigger boys up the hills.
MCS will be strictly Street car, for my preferences. It has the heritage, dont mind roll that on road after 10 years. Very idea choice to pass to gf/wife in future.

hahaha. I'm sounds like a cheap ass

---------- Post added at 12:33 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:29 PM ----------

TS, take a look at this car, the cheapest dc5 i've came across so far.

Honda Integra (B) - Cars for sale Kelantan - Mudah.my
quite a deal
but can't afford for the moment. Career just started

csl

1,000 RPM
Aug 22, 2005
Malysia
If a project car only limited to offroad or track use, it seems to be a bit over luxury for most people.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Satria or Putra with 4G63T or 4G93T could probably be tuned to over 300hp... If you dare, converting to 4WD is possible but it's illegal. Since you disliked Proton, you can probably consider EG6 Civic or the cheaper EF9 Civic (but an original EF9 is rare of course). Or an Impreza WRX STI GC8 sounds good too. I think those are selling under 60k nowadays. I'm not an expert about all these since I learn most of these info from the internet or at zerotohundred forums. This is just my humble opinion and I apologize if my suggestions are wrong or misleading.

CountersteerSan

Known Member
Feb 16, 2013
Johor
If a project car only limited to offroad or track use, it seems to be a bit over luxury for most people.
Hmmm, but if we were to build a car for like drifting events and stuffs, there is a possibility that we might mod it till it becomes illegal on the road right? So why make a road legal s15 that cost 90k illegal in the end rather then using a scrap sg s15 that cost 25k which memang can't be used on the road?

By the way, anyone has any idea how much it really cost to buy a car from jap and import back to M'sia just for the purpose of track use? Will it be cheaper if we do it by ourselves?

cRazYee

Known Member
Oct 7, 2005
Hmmm, but if we were to build a car for like drifting events and stuffs, there is a possibility that we might mod it till it becomes illegal on the road right? So why make a road legal s15 that cost 90k illegal in the end rather then using a scrap sg s15 that cost 25k which memang can't be used on the road?

By the way, anyone has any idea how much it really cost to buy a car from jap and import back to M'sia just for the purpose of track use? Will it be cheaper if we do it by ourselves?
that's the idea!

Here is my observation:
[1]
Malaysians indeed spend alot money in modify cars.
those who really into it, easily top 20k average everyone.

like CoutersteerSan said, why take loan from bank to pay tax to government and have less fun? It's a big compromise.

[2]
Due to malaysia has one of the highest duty on car and not enough Race Track. Overall Malaysian technical knowledge is limited, less R&D been done, not enough local brand. Everyone ends up with the hype of Made in Japan, Europe, State. Even half cut shops make thousand of shit parts.

For example,
  • Used exhaust system. Why pay almost thousand to rusting/rusty HKS? APEXI? FUJItSUBO?
  • Bucket Seat. Why pay thousand to bucket while the FIA homologation has been due for ages?

As a Malaysian, I really like to see more Malaysian brand products. Branding is marketing, but as long as the engineering works are correct, nothing can be wrong.
Ultra Racing is a good role model.

CountersteerSan, since you're in Johor, it's very idea for you. At least Pasir Gudang is affordable to play.
I'll hunt around see if anyone doing this business. I know those work in automotive sector can apply MAA, with certain amount of deposit, you can get car and part for tax free, of cause off the road.

---------- Post added at 03:20 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 03:12 AM ----------

Satria or Putra with 4G63T or 4G93T could probably be tuned to over 300hp... If you dare, converting to 4WD is possible but it's illegal. Since you disliked Proton, you can probably consider EG6 Civic or the cheaper EF9 Civic (but an original EF9 is rare of course). Or an Impreza WRX STI GC8 sounds good too. I think those are selling under 60k nowadays. I'm not an expert about all these since I learn most of these info from the internet or at zerotohundred forums. This is just my humble opinion and I apologize if my suggestions are wrong or misleading.
your suggestion is good, nothing is wrong here. You have raise the obvious problem here.
WHY a proper EG6 cost more than 3-40k on the market? I have been browsed thru alot website, can't find any below RM30K. unless 4 door EH.
  • Impreza WRX STI GC8
  • Evo 4,5,6
  • MR2
  • S13/180SX

nothing here cost below RM40k, considering they are 15/17 years old

---------- Post added at 03:21 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 03:20 AM ----------

i think the real luxury is to have a car does great on track/racing/adrenaline Drive and daily drive

Last edited:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
your suggestion is good, nothing is wrong here. You have raise the obvious problem here.
WHY a proper EG6 cost more than 3-40k on the market? I have been browsed thru alot website, can't find any below RM30K. unless 4 door EH.
Original EG6 is rare, so I guess that is why it costs more (sometimes, even converted ones cost almost as much as the real EG6). Under 30k, I think you might have a chance of finding an EG3 or EG4. Those are 2 door hatchback too and they do look like EG6 from outside. Something like this Honda Civic (M) - Cars for sale Kuala Lumpur - Mudah.my

But I'm not sure how much difference there is between the chassis structure and rigidity between EG6 and EG3/EG4.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

The late 80s and early and mid 90s are considered to be the 'golden era of motorsport', in the world of four wheels Ayrton Senna was amazing the world with his magic and a manufacturers war at the Deutsche Tourenwagen Masters between Mercedes and BMW created a cult following that is still alive today.

Over the years there have been plenty of videos celebrating this 'golden era of DTM' racing and a number of...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience