Car weight talk

boyzone

2,000 RPM
Mar 13, 2005
Guys,

Would like to discuss on car weight, why recently all the new car build with heavy weight
even though just loaded with 1.6 engine?
example:
Proton Gen 2 = 1230kg
Kia forte = 1260kg
Peugeot 308 (1.6 NA ) = 12xx kg

What is the reason to lead all the car mfgs go to heavy weight car?

Understand that heavy weight chasis able to provide high speed stability.
However, peformance for power to weight ratio, pick up and fuel consumption might reduce as well.

:confused:

JINEIL2EN

Over 10,000 RPM!
Sep 6, 2004
Island Of Pearl
team99ers.2.forumer.com
Guys,

Would like to discuss on car weight, why recently all the new car build with heavy weight
even though just loaded with 1.6 engine?
example:
Proton Gen 2 = 1230kg
Kia forte = 1260kg
Peugeot 308 (1.6 NA ) = 12xx kg

What is the reason to lead all the car mfgs go to heavy weight car?

Understand that heavy weight chasis able to provide high speed stability.
However, peformance for power to weight ratio, pick up and fuel consumption might reduce as well.

:confused:
becos all the consumer keeping ask for new features, more bags, bigger wheels, bigger brake, thicker panel, more tail pipes & better sound proofing... that leads the weight...
dun ask for more, then ma reduce the weight loo... just like Kancil chai...:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

LuKa

500 RPM
Jul 14, 2005
Kedah
not everyone wanna race their car or use it for performance ride...
consumers dont care about weight... its not like you going to lift the car or anything by your self... or push it.. it defeats the purpose of buying a car.. what people wants is comfort n all extra new accessories n technology to be added.. better interior,insulation for noise reduce,bigger rims,btter handling.. safety enhancement... heavier car are more comfy n have better stability...

boyzone

2,000 RPM
Mar 13, 2005
Btw, increase in car weight = increase of fuel consumption right?

ckyee22

Mar 14, 2009
install a lot of new gadgets , new features to make it able to compete with others manufacturer since consumer nowadays most of them only car abt this thing...
but i guess it juz part of the reason increase of weight.
the heavy parts of the car i believe is from the car body , engine and the chasis ...they should use lighter material but yet good strength of material to build the car ...i guess most of the supercar is using this material to build (but not i dunno wat material)...in order to make the car performing....
This lighter and good strenght material i guess should not be cheap...if use this material to build car will give direct impact to cost...since the type of car u mentioned above ....this type of consumer only looking for cheap car price but with a lot of features..no point to build a car which is not suit for marketing strategy....

heavy weight only a minor factor for high speed stability..Do F1 need heavy weight to be the fast car?...the ans is no..coz the major factor for high speed stability is not weight but the aerodynamic of the car........

All the comments about juz based on my personal gut feeling...if some statements are incorrect please feel free to give ur comments to make the correction...

LuKa

500 RPM
Jul 14, 2005
Kedah
consumer prefer sturdy car for comfort n security of accidents... if car makers sell Milo Cans for car body ppl wont buy oso... lighter cars are faster n saves fuel as well... but on real roads.. where you share with busses n lorry n other vehicle that might bump into you... in such you will feel uncomfortable to hv as daily ride...

if you ever rode an elise u would undersand what i mean..

chocolatesttarfish

500 RPM
May 13, 2007
PJ/BTU
for me the heavier the car the safer i'll feel..more comfortable during speeding..steady to navigate & maneuver..the only prob is when u climb up the hill..so if u own an underpower car like small cc kancil etc..u should know ur limit when carrying passengers..and know exactly when to takeover cars..

on the other hand, i'll feel a lot more comfortable if a less weight woman riding on me hahahaa :thefinger:

JINEIL2EN

Over 10,000 RPM!
Sep 6, 2004
Island Of Pearl
team99ers.2.forumer.com
moral of the story,
Ah Pek just drive the Ah Pek cars while Ah beng just keepin mod the Ah Beng's cars...
just buy wat u can affort, ask as many things as it can b, if dun wan the stuff to burden ur car, just take it out & sell it off...

AD_EG

6,000 RPM
Apr 5, 2009
Ipoh
safety,comfort,fuel economy,engine response,handling is usually what consumers look at when planning to get a vehicle....and of course the PRICE.

when a person 1st steps into a vehicle...and starts the engine and drive...they wanna feel safe and comfortable...assuming they don't feel this way right at the beginning...they will start having bad vibes about the car...and their decision might be affected with their 1st impression which will most likely end with a negative decision...so i suppose manufacturers have no choice but to ensure that this is provided consumers...even if it has to sacrifice fuel economy...and i guess a lot of ppl will rather feel safe then to save a couple of $$ per full tank....

if a consumer steps feeling safe and comfy....and engine isn't so powerful cause the car feels heavy...they might still consider the car cause...they feel good in the car...

this is just my assumption....i for one dont care .... i prefer performance/handling anytime...hahahahha...then only safety...lastly comfort....for me safety is good brakes and handling...air bag is a bonus...got or not its ok.. :biggrin:

boyzone

2,000 RPM
Mar 13, 2005
Btw, what is the main contributor on heavy weight?

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
boyzone, like what some others have said....thicker insulation padding, more accessories (which some I deemed really un-necessary), more air bags, more wiring looms due to more accessories. The car body itself is made from ALU, so I guess most of the weight comes from the under chassis. Nowdays cars are assembled different from old days...Now they 1 side make the car body only (the shell) and then 1 side the make the engine, gb, suspension and the under chassis parts. then bolt this 2 part together. Then after that fit in accessories.

Old cars some are lighter some are heavy also....the use of material will also lead to the increase of weight.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

to all pro zth member

usually u all Set how much Cam pulley timing for adjustable Cam Pulley (DOHC) Engine ..?

how much Degree u all advance ?

Intake ..?
Exhaust ..?

need sincere advice for GSR and EVO Engine

tq ^^
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience