Rim weight

joshua7paul

Known Member
Jun 6, 2009
Sifus and brothers...

Any idea on whats the suitable weight for 16" rim on a 1.6 vehicle without compromising its performance?..

thnx u

realplayer

Known Member
Jun 26, 2008
suitable weight for 16" rims i'm not sure...but anyway,go for ORI rims..if your car 1.6cc, it's more than enough to pull 16" rims..that my opinion..cheers..

joshua7paul

Known Member
Jun 6, 2009
suitable weight for 16" rims i'm not sure...but anyway,go for ORI rims..if your car 1.6cc, it's more than enough to pull 16" rims..that my opinion..cheers..
yea..thats the thing..i wanna go for ori rims..i saw an Enkei RP01..the weight of the rim is bout 15.84 Lbs ( 7kg)...is that too heavy?

Btw,forged rims are better or cast ones?

AD_EG

6,000 RPM
Apr 5, 2009
Ipoh
TE37 around 3++kg if im not mistaken...thats about half the weight.

frank118

Known Member
Feb 7, 2009
7 kgs is a real heavyweight for rims...I would just stick to OEM rims...save the money for a rainy day....hehe

arrowhead

Aug 20, 2004
Damansara/PJ
just fyi, rim weight does play a role. instantly i could feel the diff when my dad changed from oem 15s to some heavyweight 16 inch taiwans...

AD_EG

6,000 RPM
Apr 5, 2009
Ipoh
Rim weight does assist in accelaration,lighter better....and also does size...smaller better...(not too small ah,after your car cant even move,15" just nice.)

in fact it also helps in FC :top:

about the TE37..its Volks Racing...forgot to mention earlier.

frank118

Known Member
Feb 7, 2009
There are Taiwan made light alloys...Thai replicas which is really nice....I am still using stock 16" alloys from JRD...still cant find a nice affordable one.

joshua7paul

Known Member
Jun 6, 2009
7 kgs is a real heavyweight for rims...I would just stick to OEM rims...save the money for a rainy day....hehe
ooo..7kg is considered heavy?..even for enkei..damn!...huhu..im using waja ori rims now..its good..but wen i hit 210-220..i dun feel safe..haha..tyre not wide enuff gripping..

what is the right weight..i mean the right HEAVY?..te37 is bout 3kg plus?..u sure..cos even for SSR type-c its bout 9.3Lbs..but thats 15"..

rim that are too light..isnt that not safe for our malaysian road?..hehe

frank118

Known Member
Feb 7, 2009
If you notice light weight rims come in 17" and above. Maybe some in 16". They are meant to be used with low profile and wider tyres. Using larger tyres also means more weight hence a bad off the line and higher FC.

There's no right or wrong in selecting rims. The more you pay the better the rims you get..lighter, balanced and finishing.

But if its just the looks then you can get alot for even 1k.

AD_EG

6,000 RPM
Apr 5, 2009
Ipoh
Yes im quite sure its around 3kg's plus...feel free to google around ...

u not feeling safe at those speeds will also be a result of bad absorbers and too much body roll...

changing to a lighter rim is not dangerous.if lightweight taiwan rims might be dangerous...easy to dent...but japs no problem...i drive in johor with so much potholes...and my te37 never dented..even after several hard hits.

joshua7paul

Known Member
Jun 6, 2009
If you notice light weight rims come in 17" and above. Maybe some in 16". They are meant to be used with low profile and wider tyres. Using larger tyres also means more weight hence a bad off the line and higher FC.

There's no right or wrong in selecting rims. The more you pay the better the rims you get..lighter, balanced and finishing.

But if its just the looks then you can get alot for even 1k.
thats the thing..im not really going for the looks if just want the looks, i wudnt have asked all these questions =p..hehe..btw,the weight written on the rim, is that the weight of the rim or is that the physical weight a rim can withstand?

Yes im quite sure its around 3kg's plus...feel free to google around ...

u not feeling safe at those speeds will also be a result of bad absorbers and too much body roll...

changing to a lighter rim is not dangerous.if lightweight taiwan rims might be dangerous...easy to dent...but japs no problem...i drive in johor with so much potholes...and my te37 never dented..even after several hard hits.
the SSr type-c is 3.6kg for 15"x6 rim.. btw,how light is lightweight to you?..anyway,my car is stiffen my ultra racing bar top/bottom front/rear and im using brand new GAB..so yea..not feeling safe is because of the grip i guess :biggrin:

GT_AUTO

3,000 RPM
Oct 25, 2005
K.Trg
www.facebook.com
most lightweight wheel are strong like ad_eg said.they are mostly forged wheel and not cast.

joshua7paul

Known Member
Jun 6, 2009
most lightweight wheel are strong like ad_eg said.they are mostly forged wheel and not cast.
yup..ive noticed that..both SSR type c and volk TE37 are forged rims..huhu..but darn expensive even for 2nd hand..:banghead:

AD_EG

6,000 RPM
Apr 5, 2009
Ipoh
thats the thing..im not really going for the looks if just want the looks, i wudnt have asked all these questions =p..hehe..btw,the weight written on the rim, is that the weight of the rim or is that the physical weight a rim can withstand?

the SSr type-c is 3.6kg for 15"x6 rim.. btw,how light is lightweight to you?..anyway,my car is stiffen my ultra racing bar top/bottom front/rear and im using brand new GAB..so yea..not feeling safe is because of the grip i guess :biggrin:

to me 3+kg is as light as it gets...

at that price it always be worth it...and resale value also doesnt drop far off the pruchase price.unless you damage it

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi guys,
i converted my satria neo to gsr ck.
im thinking of upgrading it and i need some guide.

any way to gain more hp?

if i wanna change ca18 piston and rod , do i need to overhaul engine?
or just plug and play?

straight away change td05 , waste , intercooler , exhaust manifold and piping ?

there's too many things and i dont know wat to do.
haha..

all the pro please guide me.

thank you^^
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience