Car Idling & Die Off All of a Sudden During Heavy Traffic...

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
SupraFan : I had this problem before on my Wira. At first I thought it was my ECU and then my battery and then the alternator.. finally I gave up and thought it was a ghost.

Then a friend pointed out my battery terminal connector wasn't clamped on tightly enough (battery lead too small) so I swapped to a proper sized terminal and problem solved.

Don't use spacers or whatever to make the battery hold, swap out the terminal to make it fit on the battery lead.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
SupraFan : I had this problem before on my Wira. At first I thought it was my ECU and then my battery and then the alternator.. finally I gave up and thought it was a ghost.

Then a friend pointed out my battery terminal connector wasn't clamped on tightly enough (battery lead too small) so I swapped to a proper sized terminal and problem solved.

Don't use spacers or whatever to make the battery hold, swap out the terminal to make it fit on the battery lead.
This reminds me of what my dad told me after I check with him on what was done to the
car since I did not drive it for months. Battery was replaced by a workshop at Jusco Kepong.

But he said he was told that the battery connector is smaller than usual, so he guess the
connection to the battery is not that good.

Thanks for sharing bro Izso, at least got a clearer solution to my worries now.

But the problem I faced during the process, was my left headlamp was not working.
Just 2 days ago when I drove that car at night, realised both of my headlamps
are no longer working now.

Any idea what causes it? Since battery connection is not that right, couldnt be causing
the headlamps not to work anymore right? I was driving with fog lamp only on that night.

Will get it check and let u guys know what's the problem. Didn't have the time to send
the car for repair yet but I can see some corrosion on battery.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Lights not working, check fuse, bulbs, if not, then switch and wiring.....
Ever since that incident, lights not working now. It was okay when the car was back
alive. Now lights are dead.

Fuse I just give it some knocks cuz not sure which fuse is the one. Gonna get it check.
Previously was because of my switch in the car that was having the problem.

Switch already replaced with new one then solved the problem.

Should have sold off the car last time but so far the car is a great to drive car...

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
When I had the same issues as you, the damn thing shorted my headlight relays. Does your Toyota use aftermarket headlight relays? Check the relays. Idle your car and have someone switch on and off the headlights. If the relays are working you should be able to hear 'clicking' noises. If not then the relays are spoilt, just replace.

If you aren't using headlight wiring kit, then it's very likely your fuse. I'm not familiar with the layout of your car but there usually are only 2 places to check for fuses, under the driver dash and in the engine bay. Anything else in your car dead together with your headlamps?

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
if its a proton sell it off...but a toyota....could be minor problems only, try Izso's method...might solve your prob.
Yea, 200,000+ km mileage and have yet to overhaul. Still running good so far. Touchwood. 1ZZ-FE
is indeed a strong and good engine.

When I had the same issues as you, the damn thing shorted my headlight relays. Does your Toyota use aftermarket headlight relays? Check the relays. Idle your car and have someone switch on and off the headlights. If the relays are working you should be able to hear 'clicking' noises. If not then the relays are spoilt, just replace.

If you aren't using headlight wiring kit, then it's very likely your fuse. I'm not familiar with the layout of your car but there usually are only 2 places to check for fuses, under the driver dash and in the engine bay. Anything else in your car dead together with your headlamps?
Yes, when it happened, that damn thing really did shorted my left headlamp, then after that, now both are dead. Will try that when I'm back, I didnt turn on and off but didnt pay attention the the clicks. But when my car revived again, both headlamp is working. Now dead again.

My Corolla is using headlamps are stock, so relays should be OEM?. Never change before. Nothing else is dead except the headlamps. The mini bulbs running light in the headlamp is working,
just the bigger bulb is not working.

So, kinda dangerous to drive. Guess I have to use BLM up to Goh Tong's empire tomorrow. :frown:
Using fog lamp alone not bright enough.

Will get it check and let u guys know what's the problem.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
if its a proton sell it off...but a toyota....could be minor problems only, try Izso's method...might solve your prob.
Toyota leh......:biggrin:

---------- Post added at 02:05 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:00 PM ----------

So, kinda dangerous to drive. Guess I have to use BLM up to Goh Tong's empire tomorrow. :frown:
Using fog lamp alone not bright enough.

Will get it check and let u guys know what's the problem.
Another concert?

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Toyota leh......:biggrin:

---------- Post added at 02:05 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:00 PM ----------

Another concert?
No la, people meeting, I meeting, I have to drive 60KM+ uphill just for 1 hour meeting...
hang around for awhile shaking ding dongs and go back...

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
No la, people meeting, I meeting, I have to drive 60KM+ uphill just for 1 hour meeting...
hang around for awhile shaking ding dongs and go back...
Wah! go hill top for meeting. Nowadays, stuck in office as now handling over my duties....

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Wah! go hill top for meeting. Nowadays, stuck in office as now handling over my duties....
Go Hill top meeting no fun, my tyre and brake lifespan shortened and also stressing my engine to rev rev...
:frown:

Wow..moving to bigger company for higher rank la :biggrin:

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Go Hill top meeting no fun, my tyre and brake lifespan shortened and also stressing my engine to rev rev...
:frown:

Wow..moving to bigger company for higher rank la :biggrin:
Yah! in a way your car wear out. No company car?

Company merger, downsized.....:bawling:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Yah! in a way your car wear out. No company car?

Company merger, downsized.....:bawling:
Nope, Vice President and above baru ada...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi everybody
i want to ask, how to have loud exhaust sound?
i driving stock gsr turbo
the kind of loud noise i want, can hear from a few km away
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience