BOV query for evos...

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

mynnDAWG

2,000 RPM
im not sure its a myth or just a stupid urban legend...some people say that BOV is bad for your evo (evo7 especially)...will give problem especially in idling mode...

any truth in this?..what BOV most suit evos...

The hard truth is yes, any form of VTA (Vent To Atmosphere) dumpvalve will cause any stock EVO to run less than ideally. It's not urban legend, it's simply how EVOs work.

Since I've got more time than I know what to do with, I'll explain also why. :)

The reason why EVOs don't like VTA valves is because the 4G63 engine runs an antiquated MAF sensor setup. What's a MAF sensor? Well, it's that big black contraption that's wired up to the base of your airbox/intake.

MAF systems basically measures air flow and density at the point of intake, which means any air that goes past the MAF is already accounted for by the ECU. This is the reason why EVOs come with diverter valves (the black plastic thingy [metal for the MR and IX] that attaches your UICP to your intake hose). This diverter valve recirculates any excess pressure whenever you slam the throttle plates shut, back into the intake stream, which a) makes sure that the air that has been measured by the MAF remains in the intake circuit and b) helps reduce lag since air that's been compressed is easier to compress again.

When you install one of those WHHOOOOSSHHH VTA valves, you circumvent the ECU's calculations because you release air that's already been accounted for out of the loop. This means that the ECU continues to inject X amount of fuel into the engine because it believes that Y amount of air has been inducted.

This causes several issues. First of which is that everytime you shift under boost, you will run rich. The side effects of running rich is a flamethrower exhaust and easily fouled plugs. The first may be good, depending on your POV but the second definitely is not.

Secondly, depending on your VTA valve design, you may also leak when idling and/or during part throttle driving, leading to either stalling or stumbling, both of which are obviously bad.

Now, you'll certainly have heard of people who claim to run their EVOs with VTA without *any* problems. Unfortunately, this will almost always be a misrepresentation of the truth. EVOs were not designed to run VTA so you will encounter some if not all of the issues I have outlined.

That said, you can learn to drive around most of the problems that a VTA will introduce. Less than ideal, certainly, but if you really want to, you can. You could also install the HKS EIDS to trick your EVO into not stalling but these are all like band aids to a problem that you need not have in the first place.

The only real way to run a VTA properly is if you do a MAP sensor conversion, like what you get with the Power FC.

So to answer your question, what BOV suits a stock EVO most? The stock VIII MR or IX valve.

Last edited:
hks ssqv is also a BOV rite?
does this mean this no good also?

Bascially, anything that goes:

- KE-CHIU!
- KE-PISH!
- KE-CHING!
- KE-CHAH!

is bad for a stock EVO.

so the best solution to continue using a hks ssqv is? HKS EIDS or what u mentioned map sensor conversion.....
no sound not shiok wor...

let me share my 2 cents.

BOV comes in 2 types; VTA (vent-to-air) or recirc (recirculate back into your air intake)

stock metal BOV (from MR and 9) recirculates and are great but can only hold upto a certain boost.

there are some aftermarket BOV which recirculates too; eg. Greddy Type RS recirc kit, SSQV recirc and tomei recirc bov.

i previously recirc my Greddy RS but today i had my EIDS installed and VTA is no longer an issue BUT i did notice my engine was running a little rich at low RPM after installing the BOV but does stall or go low-down on RPM. But i am not sure how it affects my AFC; will only find out on Thursday when i put my ride on dyno.

a little extra info about PowerFC; they come in 2 version, D-Jetro and L-Jetro. Shops around here usually markets the L-Jetro which utilize back your MAF and D-Jetro runs on MAP.

Jun_EK9...ur running Greddy RS issit???...

thanx guys for the infos...cannon & lazzy!...hmmm...now gotta think twice before getting those Ke-Phish sound....

my ouh my...how am i to challenge L5 sound like this lor...haha

The stock IX valve holds up to 1.7Bars of boost, so you really need to be making killer boost to need something that can hold more pressure.

A VTA causes rich situations between shifts, won't affect fueling anywhere else. Also won't affect your AFC since it really does nothing for performance.

I must confess that I've an SSQV installed. There's nothing more satisfying than venting at full boost next to those bastard Mat Rempits, almost made one fall over the other day.

But yeah, the car runs funny with the SSQV. My excuse is that my stocker is broken and leaks boost. The real reason is that I'm an Ah Beng at heart :D

dawg: i have use b4 rs and r
also tried b4 hks super racing bov

I use blitz .... no kecing, no kepish... but kepaooowwwwiishhhhhh you know the sound that gives heart attack to old people....

Haha! Yeah, these things are damned loud. When I went to test the BOV after the install, I made a bunch of school children jump and an old man run off the road. I guess they thought my car was about to explode.

Then the BOV flange popped off cos I didn't bother to tighten it, since just going to test for short distance only ma. No boost, cannot rev past 3K, and looked like I was having a BBQ inside my exhaust. Malu siut!

Bunyi macam ribut, gerak macam siput

These BOV holds big boost... soo if you wanna install them... better check the setting and also other pipes and hoses .... my hose from the intake to the fuel regulator poped off yesterday due to max boost and max BOV... heheheheh now gotta find some high strength epoxy to fix....

The car now sounds like motoboat... but vely slowww.... worst... got mat remp-it sound ... aaargghhh malu.......

it doesnt happen to every evo... i guess the sensitive part is how you adjust your bov VTA and also the intake piping. I had no problem till i installed an aftermarket intake pipe. Even Keong72 is running VTA, no stalling problems at all (touch wood).

NotiGuy/Jun_EK9...what BOV VTA ya using???

yeah guess not all evos have these symptoms...

Jun_EK9 = Bobo ah???

Yup, agree with NoTiGuy there. Stalling and idling problems depend very much on the valve design and spring loading. Some seem to leak more than others.

Mine will dip very low, to about 200-300rpm, if I rev and release immediately at idle. Won't stall but comes very close. When I rev up in First and need to jump on the clutch immediately, like in traffic, is when it occassionally stalls.

If I boost then get off the throttle gradually instead off lifting completely, the valve flutters (goes Fttt-Fttt-Fttt-Fttt-Fttt) and car has a tendency to stumble.

All this isn't really obvious after driving for a while but the car felt so much smoother when I popped in a stock diverter valve the other day just for kicks.

Was told tighten the spring rate of the BOV might help.

Tighten = soft kapisss
Soften = louder kapiss..

is that true?

Btw, anyone using Greddy Type R or HKS Type R\Type II BOV? How they sounds like? loud anot?

Last edited:
NoTiGuY said:
it doesnt happen to every evo... i guess the sensitive part is how you adjust your bov VTA and also the intake piping. I had no problem till i installed an aftermarket intake pipe. Even Keong72 is running VTA, no stalling problems at all (touch wood).

Notiguy, how u retify the problem? Just got my Kansai intake pipe but haven't install yet, scared wil have similar problem..

hmmm...what about HKS SSQV...i mean the whole kit set for evos...an owner claims that his ride dont have these probs...he's using ori kit set for evos rather than just the SSQV alone

my first BOV was SQV kit, no probs at all in the early stage but after i put in more mods then i started to have low rpms during shift and stall once in a while. put back in ori bov and recirc no problem.

then tested the recirc RS which works very well like ori plastic bov and holds boost much better. but recently my RS KO so i bought new RS and install EIDS, no stalling problem but need to further tune the EIDS.

i have a normal sqv with me now so i am going to test the SQV with EIDS.

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom