B-series Short Block Identification

J101

1,000 RPM
Jul 15, 2005
malaysia
Thanks to UdengFahlawi, i think its high time we clear this matter up.

From this thread:
http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/honda/143567-class-f-sepang-drag-battle-25.html

1. If you notice the dipstick angle surface for B20B is rectangularish and the rest is triangular. All b-series except B20B that has this unique shape.

2. This identification is to search for re-stamped B20B blocks.

3. This comparison is based on factory exterior identification, we dont want to know whether it has been re-sleeved or stroked. If you stroke your B16A or re-sleeved to 1.9L, it is still less than 2L. But if its a 2L block sleeved to 2.3L, that is an elephant. Unforgetting nowadays you can DECK up the block. Make that 2.5L for a B20B. Theres a 2.6L stroker kit for a K24 block. Imagine it restamped to K20.

4. If its a DART block, you can see a DART stamp on the block. Unless paranoid, owner decides to grind the DART word for kiasu purposes.

5. Bring your Maglite or Surefire torchlight and shine the block for identification.

I hope this helps. Anymore info would be great.

akuma

3,000 RPM
Jul 16, 2005
Kuantan
J101,
thx...except 4 d "tapak" part,d part whr u boxed it red all look trianglish 2 me....

akuma

3,000 RPM
Jul 16, 2005
Kuantan
hattech-v,
v need ur input,pls?J101 kept saying ur d BEST person 2 clarify dis...i'm sick of being cheated!

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
Actually the block is also wider.

I'm not sure the exact thickness of the sleeves are, but you can do the math by this.

81mmx4 < 84mmx4

Type R blocks are 81mm bore, and plus the sleeves, they take up space just a bit more than the head.

84mm is the B20B, and when you times it by four pistons.. you get about 12cm more.. which means that the B20B block is wider by 12cm than the Type R block. And obviously this will show when you shine at where the head and block meet on the transmission side. 12cm is not so easily missed. I don't think they will relocate the water passages and dowels just to hide this fact.

This one, I give credit to hattech since he did post a photo of how the the block meets the head.

The other one is the webbing design on the bottom of the block.. They're different.

There's also the way of 'added deck height method/deck plate method +sleeves' to enable the use of long rod, big stroke combo for 2L+ on B18C block.,... but I haven't even met someone who's heard of the term.

That one, you will not notice so easily since it's +/- 1xmm vertically. but I wonder who's willing to spring the price for such an extensive mod? :P

If got, bro.. RESPECT! :P

Last edited:

hattech-v

Over 10,000 RPM!
Oct 10, 2004
Seri Kembangan
www.avantech.com.my
i can post more pics on the comparison... but later jpj/puspakom print this... hehehehe... or shud anyone looking for it pm me...
but if u all dun mind if i post it here... then i'll post...

at least got 4 spot from block design to differentiate each other.

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
AFAIK.. long block is what we call here as 'enjin kosong'..
Which is block + head

From what I knowlah.. better check if I'm right or not.

akuma

3,000 RPM
Jul 16, 2005
Kuantan
hattech-v,
if u ask me of course i dun mind u posting it coz i know my block is genuine n legitimate..any1 got objection here,pls raise ur pistons...ahhahaahhahha
i did try searching 4 any related old threads....din find anythg ler...or if u dun wanna post it here cud u kind email it 2 me?thx

[email protected]

Last edited by a moderator:

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
short block i think refering to b16a block, while long block refering to b16b, b18c, b18b, b20b.
I thought that the b16b/18c/b, B20B are 'taller' blocks.. this is the first time I heard people calling them long blocks. (O_o)

SA6YEuro

500 RPM
Feb 24, 2004
Sin City
Visit site
heres a very informative site on the jargons the Yanks use....

Block Descriptions

honestly i tot they were referin 2 the stroke.... silly me....hehehe

mat salleh way of sayin engine lantai or kosong...... buggers...

udengfahlawi

1,000 RPM
Dec 3, 2004
putrajaya
Visit site
I thought that the b16b/18c/b, B20B are 'taller' blocks.. this is the first time I heard people calling them long blocks. (O_o)
heheh....i konpius myself in this....not sure the opposite of short block is long block or tall block....both are gramatically correct actually, but not sure for enginematically ler.....

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

To all sifuu!!!,i will like to change my car suspension and springs to some good sport non bumpy one's.I herd about the new APM Perfomax.What do u think? Anyone tried it out.
By the way my car is Iswara 1.3 1993.Need ur sugestion....
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience