3S-FE,GE,GTE Discussion/Gathering

kanazai2001

1,000 RPM
Jul 13, 2005
home
2o2R...
i saw a 205 aluminium 3 rows radiator few mths back...
im not sure is still there or not but is for sales... 2K...
@#$%#$%^*** EXPENSIVE!!!

2 Old 2 Rusty

1,500 RPM
Nov 18, 2006
2o2R...
i saw a 205 aluminium 3 rows radiator few mths back...
im not sure is still there or not but is for sales... 2K...
@#$%#$%^*** EXPENSIVE!!!
:hahaha:2K...@#$%#$%^*** EXPENSIVE!!! You can say that again, bro.

Unfortunately, the ST205's different from the ST183. The reason I'm looking for an aluminium radiator is because I'm fed up of changing my radiator. Everytime, it's the either the top or bottom cover crack & the shops around here don't have a replacement cover for this model. If the aluminium one's so @#$%^&&** expensive, maybe I should get a copper / nickel one fabricated instead.

Guys, can a new plastic top / bottom cover be found in KL or something ? If available, that'll be the best option for me, I think.

GT4WD

500 RPM
Jul 3, 2006
hm... i'm not sure, but some guys re-build radiator with copper top. one time settle.

i check for you then

kanazai2001

1,000 RPM
Jul 13, 2005
home
2o2R...
yes... u can buy it with special order... mean WAIT again...
anyhow... if ur radiator is copper made, then u can always fabricate the top and bottom ends with copper... the good thing bout fabrication is u can custom-made what ever style u like... u can make it like an expensive racing-use radiator... :-)

2 Old 2 Rusty

1,500 RPM
Nov 18, 2006
hm... i'm not sure, but some guys re-build radiator with copper top. one time settle.

i check for you then
2o2R...
yes... u can buy it with special order... mean WAIT again...
anyhow... if ur radiator is copper made, then u can always fabricate the top and bottom ends with copper... the good thing bout fabrication is u can custom-made what ever style u like... u can make it like an expensive racing-use radiator... :-)
Thanks very much, guys. Appreciate it:wink:

yip_cheng

Nov 10, 2006
anyone using 3s st215 in their ride?how's the performance?and what is the max boost for it without changing any internal parts..

GT4WD

500 RPM
Jul 3, 2006
Yep, there's one Rav4 with ST215 on it, stock boosting 1.2 bar.

nothing much problem given if plug in a complete set of ST205 gearbox in set.

boon9995

Known Member
Jul 8, 2006
hi all.

did any body know toyota caldina half cut already came in malaysia or not. if yes where can get it..

thank

GT4WD

500 RPM
Jul 3, 2006
yep, Caldina cuts already in and mostly are ST215, cause ST246 is lot more expensive and rare. There's one famous chop in puchong has it. but not sure whether has it been sold.

2 Old 2 Rusty

1,500 RPM
Nov 18, 2006
Can the Caldina engine be mated to a 2 wheel FF auto trans, if the Caldina cut came originally with auto trans ?

GT4WD

500 RPM
Jul 3, 2006
well, the engine are the same. Rav4, fitted ST185 gear box and GE gearbox and ST215 gearbox without problem. i assumed, Carona and Camry gearbox can fit it as well. they're the same though.

normally you'll be able to find a st215 caldina semi-auto, for manual is rare and not easy to find.

and bro, there's 1 st185 for sale, RM 2.8k excluding transportation to out station, i'm not pretty sure how they charged for out station delivery. they roughly advsie transportation charged around RM400 to RM500.

If you like to know, just let me know then. Cheers!

myhotcald

Mar 27, 2006
hi guys.....been a long time since i last posted.......need some answers to my questions below....thanks for the help...

1) Are all 3S GTE engine using equivalent parts.....?? meaning that most of the 3S GTE engine parts are similar except certain mounting parts and connection are built differently?

2) If similar......can I swap an after market cam made for Celica GT4/MR2 Turbo into another 3S GTE engine (such as the ST 215 or ST 246)...

3) How about final gear ratio......The ST 215/ ST 246 had only 4th gear.....can it be swapped with a finer 4th gear ratio or best......matched with a 5 speed gear......

Thanks guys.....

2 Old 2 Rusty

1,500 RPM
Nov 18, 2006
well, the engine are the same. Rav4, fitted ST185 gear box and GE gearbox and ST215 gearbox without problem. i assumed, Carona and Camry gearbox can fit it as well. they're the same though.

normally you'll be able to find a st215 caldina semi-auto, for manual is rare and not easy to find.

and bro, there's 1 st185 for sale, RM 2.8k excluding transportation to out station, i'm not pretty sure how they charged for out station delivery. they roughly advsie transportation charged around RM400 to RM500.

If you like to know, just let me know then. Cheers!
The gearbox housing's the same but ratios are different, as far as I know.

I'm still waiting for th details on the halfcut Toyorism mentioned. So see how it goes. If it doesn't work out, then maybe I'll contact you, bro. reason being, I'd prefer to find the halfcut nearer to my place coz should there be any problems, it's easier to dealt with & the second reason is I can save on transportation fees. Hehehe.

Thanks very much for the info, bro. Appreciate it.

GT4WD

500 RPM
Jul 3, 2006
2 Old 2 Rusty-
- Not a problem bro. but if I’m you, FDW I’ll get MR2 gearbox with LSD, better ratio. Had tested few already, happy owner now. Just the drive shaft is hard and expensive to get.
- Well, I understand your concern; anyhow let me know anything I can help then. I’m sure there’s something can be sort out without hassle.

Cheers bro!

myhotcald
1) Are all 3S GTE engine using equivalent parts.....?? meaning that most of the 3S GTE engine parts are similar except certain mounting parts and connection are built differently?
= Yes, you got that right. 185 are similar with 225 and 205 are similar with 245, 215 are similar with 246.
= Head screw hole and oil pump are different.

2) If similar......can I swap an after market cam made for Celica GT4/MR2 Turbo into another 3S GTE engine (such as the ST 215 or ST 246)...
= Yes, GE’s cam is slightly higher lifting then GTE, but the ratio are the same.

3) How about final gear ratio......The ST 215/ ST 246 had only 4th gear.....can it be swapped with a finer 4th gear ratio or best......matched with a 5 speed gear......
= You’re referring to Manual or Semi-Auto?
= Best gear ratio are 6th Generation ST205 gearbox in set.
= Semi-auto, sorry. no idea

GT4WD

500 RPM
Jul 3, 2006
Can the Caldina engine be mated to a 2 wheel FF auto trans, if the Caldina cut came originally with auto trans ?

Bro, i recalled. ST215 and ST146 are 4WD.
No point to plug in 4WD to FW, it just eat more fuel and lesser power range. I would suggest why not get the ST202, 3S-GE FW auto gearbox if you need a auto.

Caldina its either ST215 or ST146. normally it comes with 4WD semi-auto gearbox and rare Manual gearbox.

ST182, 183, 184 and 201, 202, 203 are all auto gearbox and it’s FW.

Only ST185 and ST205 has originally Manual, ST215 and ST246 for manual gearbox is very rare and it’s JDM only.

If ST215 or ST246 semi-auto tend to change to Manual.
Yes, of cause for the hardware wise, no problem.
But you'll not gain any hi-end power, as the ST215/246 runs on semi-auto and the power range will be trigger automatically to release by semi-auto’s ecu and engine ecu.

After you've changed it from semi-auto to manual the auto gearbox's ecu will be taken out and therefore there's no where else can trigger the hi-end power. Eventually it needs the engine ecu and gearbox ecu to match for the out put power.
It has been tested by my mech previously. Unless you're using after market ecu like haltech and staff, or else no point. You can try first but it's just wasting more money only.

The Rav4 I mentioned, originally Manual version and g/b having some problem, that’s why he changed to ST185 4WD manual system in complete set. But his now looking for ST205 complete 4WD g/b set.

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

My Mitsu Galant V6 viento's door seals are rotting away, and that allows rainwater to enter the cabin. Its kinda hard to find replacement seals as the car is pretty rare, and the perdana's ones dont fit. Can any one with experience guide me on how to fix this? Perhaps some universal door seals which i can use?

Rotten door seals :

Car model (not actual car) ...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience