Izzit true bot will affect reliability? How severe will be affected actually?

Jac83

Known Member
Apr 29, 2007
Depends. A BOT can be put together for the same price as an engine swap and be just as reliable if done correctly. The only tricky part is engine management. If you do it right the end result will be just as reliable as engine swap, and more powerful. The same cannot be said for the N/A's transmission be it manual or automatic. LOL.

That's not a fact, that's false. The answer is it depends on the engine design. Since the guy was asking about the Daihatsu/Perodua engines, the K3-VE block is exactly the same as the K3-VET block. The conrods are exactly the same, the heads are interchangeable, the only difference on the engine is the injectors and low compression pistons.

I was replying to the TS's enquiry, not into a particular engine, rather generally on bot topic. Most bot are done on na engine or else it will not be called bot. Anyway if u wish to highlight it in a particular way by all means. Na engine with proper maintainence can last for at least 20 years, some 30 years. But I can't say the same for bot engine though. Thus my point there. Personally i have yet to see any bot car which lasted more than 10 years. Perhaps i have yet to see it. To each their own.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Don't generalize and say BOT won't last. That's spreading unnecessary fear and misconception.

NA engines BOT that have a turbo sibling engine based on the same engine block will definitely last as long as a factory turbocharged engine, if not longer, when done right. As the factory has already done all necessary R&D on the engine itself.

A Campro BOT for example. I have no idea. Whether that block can withstand turbo or not is anybody's guess. The Campro CFE is essentially a new design and different from usual Campros according to Proton.

Alvin Lee Edwards

From Facebook
Aug 16, 2010
Cheras
www.facebook.com
Tq sifus sifus. Confirmed i'll get Accord next week. 2.0 iV-TEC
BTW i heard BOT a iVTEC is not an easy job. Pls enlighten me.

---------- Post added at 08:02 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:01 PM ----------

Don't generalize and say BOT won't last. That's spreading unnecessary fear and misconception.

NA engines BOT that have a turbo sibling engine based on the same engine block will definitely last as long as a factory turbocharged engine, if not longer, when done right. As the factory has already done all necessary R&D on the engine itself.

A Campro BOT for example. I have no idea. Whether that block can withstand turbo or not is anybody's guess. The Campro CFE is essentially a new design and different from usual Campros according to Proton.
So if BOT an engine with no Turbo sibling, ?

Zaid Zainuddin

From Facebook
Oct 4, 2010
www.facebook.com
bro alvin, imo if you're buying a 60k accord and then spend some 10k to slap a turbo i think better you gather those 70k and buy preve,ori turbo tau... and brand new summore...low interest for sure... or get an airtrek turbo.. so many model to chose...toyota estima also got supercharge
what i'm trying to say is,if this is your 1st time modding a car or 1st time using turbo...please consider it in stock form.if you wanna gain knowlegde from a 10k wira i can understand,but a 60k car can make ur head spin

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
bro alvin, imo if you're buying a 60k accord and then spend some 10k to slap a turbo i think better you gather those 70k and buy preve,ori turbo tau... and brand new summore...low interest for sure... or get an airtrek turbo.. so many model to chose...toyota estima also got supercharge
what i'm trying to say is,if this is your 1st time modding a car or 1st time using turbo...please consider it in stock form.if you wanna gain knowlegde from a 10k wira i can understand,but a 60k car can make ur head spin
Haha... Personally, I would buy a 60k jap car and turbo it instead of buying 70k new proton. Just light boost it.

Jac83

Known Member
Apr 29, 2007
All will boil down to your financial stability. If u got a strong background financially or got a strong financial support behind, by all means go for a used jap car and bot it. Otherwise go for a new car. Be reminded taking care of the tear n wear of a Honda is already quite tedious and rather costly not to mention taking care of bot car. I owned a Honda FYI plus a bot owner as well and I'm telling u bot is more costly than u think. Go n ask other owners. FYI again most of the bot owners here are either tuners themselves or mechanics or financially stable guys including me thus for them it is nothing for everything can be diy besides earning some as well from the likes like us. Think and plan carefully before u step into the world of bot. It addictive but also an expensive hobby to keep. Make sure u have at least 15-20k of spare cash before u embark into the world of bot. I can assure u a mere 10k will not be enough for bot alone plus u need to leave some spare for emergencies such as gb or engine kaput or a total overhaul. Just my piece of cake. Your call.

Zaid Zainuddin

From Facebook
Oct 4, 2010
www.facebook.com
Haha... Personally, I would buy a 60k jap car and turbo it instead of buying 70k new proton. Just light boost it.
haha i understand but what i'm trying to say is, is this is his 1st time playing with turbo,better play with car that original comes with turbo n play stock 1st.later can upgrade... or transplant a turbo halfcut. if wanna bot his current car its ok. but ts wanna buy a new ride and then bot it,make me think,why wanna go the long way? if he got a good budget,just go with a ori turboed car(airtrek,celica,evo6,evo7,r33,peugeot 308 etc etc)

Alvin Lee Edwards

From Facebook
Aug 16, 2010
Cheras
www.facebook.com
Jus a 30k Accord CG. Murah beb...

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
All will boil down to your financial stability. If u got a strong background financially or got a strong financial support behind, by all means go for a used jap car and bot it. Otherwise go for a new car. Be reminded taking care of the tear n wear of a Honda is already quite tedious and rather costly not to mention taking care of bot car. I owned a Honda FYI plus a bot owner as well and I'm telling u bot is more costly than u think. Go n ask other owners. FYI again most of the bot owners here are either tuners themselves or mechanics or financially stable guys including me thus for them it is nothing for everything can be diy besides earning some as well from the likes like us. Think and plan carefully before u step into the world of bot. It addictive but also an expensive hobby to keep. Make sure u have at least 15-20k of spare cash before u embark into the world of bot. I can assure u a mere 10k will not be enough for bot alone plus u need to leave some spare for emergencies such as gb or engine kaput or a total overhaul. Just my piece of cake. Your call.
Hi bro...

Just want to ask here. You used 15 - 20k to BOT a car? Some of my friends did it for just a fraction of the cost. Can I ask what is it that made the cost so high? Is it branded stuff and all brand new? Just to share a bit, I've heard of cars that got BOT for about 5 - 8k. BOT being just a light boost (~0.4 bar) and without messing with the internals. Mind to share please?

Jac83

Known Member
Apr 29, 2007
Check pinned bot forum, posted inside already, all items brand new. That is not it yet, still got a couple of items yet to be accounted for. A friendly advice, if u want to play bot, do it all the way. Why take the risk of going for used items where reliability will be an even obvious issue? Unless u are a mec or got your own workshop then it is another story. But that's just me. Currently still dealing with a couple of wear and tear issue from the suspension system of which I strongly believe arise due to the na parts unable to cope with the sudden steep increase of torque n Hp.

Zaid Zainuddin

From Facebook
Oct 4, 2010
www.facebook.com
Check pinned bot forum, posted inside already, all items brand new. That is not it yet, still got a couple of items yet to be accounted for. A friendly advice, if u want to play bot, do it all the way. Why take the risk of going for used items where reliability will be an even obvious issue? Unless u are a mec or got your own workshop then it is another story. But that's just me. Currently still dealing with a couple of wear and tear issue from the suspension system of which I strongly believe arise due to the na parts unable to cope with the sudden steep increase of torque n Hp.
not to mention the heat distribution. heard stories about radiator fan melt,even affecting the batteries and aircond hose... but imo as long u bot and do everything your tuner recommend,it'll be fine.but do all the tuner advice,don't cutting2 cost ya?

GEFORCEXTREME

Known Member
Nov 18, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
BOT merely means adding a turbo kit to a car/engine that doesn't come with one. How reliable it will be will depend on the parts used and the tuning. One can BOT his car for 3-4k, another can BOT his car with 20k. Don't expect a lot of power and reliability from the 3-4k BOT, those are sekadar boleh jalan BOT. If you wanna BOT, do it properly. My 2 cents...

---------- Post added at 11:52 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:50 AM ----------

Of course, anything if you stress it too much, its reliability will go down, and that's not only with BOT, also with other mods like NA. But if done right, I think the reliability will still be good.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
with 10k-15k budget.
i rather plonk in a k20a engine than bot.
seriously.!

if you want to play turbo.
get other car.
not a honda dude.
remember this..one man's meat is another man's poison.

with enough money anything is possible. even if you want a Honda FD2R BOT to tapao GT-R in a drag race. possible. question is how much money you want to spend. :smokin:

but the Honda engineers will flip la since they didn't engineer the car to win drag races.

Ryuuken

Known Member
Apr 2, 2011
Subang Jaya
Tq sifus sifus. Confirmed i'll get Accord next week. 2.0 iV-TEC
BTW i heard BOT a iVTEC is not an easy job. Pls enlighten me.

---------- Post added at 08:02 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:01 PM ----------

So if BOT an engine with no Turbo sibling, ?
No it's not an easy job...
iVtec is not a simple Vtec like b18c or maybe b16b...
The iVtec is the smart-ass VTEC..
the 'i' stands for intelligent. Why is it so hard to be done? first of all..how are you going to make sure that the iVTEC comes in during the right time? the engine load and rpm do play a part in the config.
And remember,iVTEC is able to advance or retard the degree of the intake up to 50 degree....
install a force induction unit to press more air in,Won't that cause the the intake to a bit off balance? therefore,a really good tuner is a must-have in your case.

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
the 'i' stands for intelligent. Why is it so hard to be done? first of all..how are you going to make sure that the iVTEC comes in during the right time? the engine load and rpm do play a part in the config.
And remember,iVTEC is able to advance or retard the degree of the intake up to 50 degree....
install a force induction unit to press more air in,Won't that cause the the intake to a bit off balance? therefore,a really good tuner is a must-have in your case.
Hmm... Yeah never thought that the cam timing alteration can make a difference. Up to 50 deg bro? Seriously?

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
Just, bear in mind. G is addictive. Once u've felt it, u'll always want more. It's either u get enough cash to build up enough muscle to hold the devil, or u control the devil within u. Then, we can talk about reliability.

pijulrs

Known Member
Dec 31, 2007
Can be done actually.Not so hard to BOT ivtec engine..Most important thing is u must have good engine management n a experience tuner.:smokin:

Ryuuken

Known Member
Apr 2, 2011
Subang Jaya
Hmm... Yeah never thought that the cam timing alteration can make a difference. Up to 50 deg bro? Seriously?
Honda i-VTEC (intelligent-VTEC)[3] has VTC continuously variable timing of camshaft phasing on the intake camshaft of DOHC VTEC engines. The technology first appeared on Honda's K-series four-cylinder engine family in 2001 (2002 in the U.S.). In the United States, the technology debuted on the 2002 Honda CR-V.
VTC controls of valve lift and valve duration are still limited to distinct low- and high-RPM profiles, but the intake camshaft is now capable of advancing between 25 and 50 degrees, depending upon engine configuration. Phasing is implemented by a computer controlled, oil driven adjustable cam gear. Both engine load and RPM affect VTC. The intake phase varies from fully retarded at idle to somewhat advanced at full throttle and low RPM. The effect is further optimization of torque output, especially at low and midrange RPM. There are two types of i-VTEC K series engines which are explained in the next paragraph.

From wikipedia.haha...

---------- Post added at 07:32 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 07:11 AM ----------

And i thought BOT is the affordable option. If budget a bove 10k i'll just pass. I jus wan some minor affordable only.
Then i suggest do the intake manifold,piping system(please get a good one),s90 throttle body,cam pulley,camshafts and also try to get a a bit higher compression piston,then get the walbro fuel pump as well.Don't forget the extractor,and if you can afford,get an oil cooler.
LET's put an example.Last time i used to drive a Mazda Astina,with a 1.6 NA engine.the B6ZE RS from a mazda miata MX5..A bit suck! The intake i choose was just a custom intake with an s90 throttle body.
Then i build up an S-Flow piping system and also add an extractor.since the intake has increase,i must also increase the exhaust.1 month after that i install the walbro fuel pump..it was nice and decent..not bad...then few days later i install the camshafts,cam pulley and also the oil cooler for a better performance.i didn't change the piston because the B6ZE is already 9.4:1 compression ratio.i know the compression rate will increase if i skim my head.so i'm keeping that one till the time comes.instead of doing the compression,i decide to increase the bore.1 mm will do.any further than 1mm i scare it might ruined the reliability of the car since it is used for daily drive.
Iridium spark plugs,KNN air filter,raizin volt stabilizer and a bit tweak here and there plus a catalyst.
The result was from 120 hp and 136 N·m to 177 hp and 201 N.m. that's around 57 hp increase and 65 torque increase.47% increase on torque and also hp.roughly. it all cost me around 9000.
nothing more than 10k.

The reason i do this setup to gain really nice range of power between 2000 rpm to 7000 rpm.
Its very linear even when i haven't touch the gearbox and final drive was not disturb.
Nice sprint and cornering because of the adjustable suspension and bars.
And another reason is,honestly,i hate teenagers who drive myvi... they change the muffler with around rm100 and drive like a mad cow as if they are driving a superfast car without any safety precaution on others driver..
so yes,i always aim a myvi,especially when i see them with fancy bodykit and noisy exhaust.
Since the astina was an old car,and i did my car without any bodykit even the muffler was quiet and the rims changed to make way for the 2 pot brakes.The rim also i just used the mazda 2 standard rims.HAHA..
But to tapau a myvi not a problem...besides..these kids doesn't have the skills when it come to corners.

Last edited:

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Hahahahaha nice performance mod :) Which performance mod contributed the most power?
on the street?
balls contributes the most power.

if your brains are bigger than balls, no amount of performance mod will contribute power on the streets because even if the other guy's car is stock standard but he's got balls triple the size of his brains to enter corners at light speed and swerve furiously through narrow traffic. he's gonna beat your ass. for sure.

Jac83

Known Member
Apr 29, 2007
I'm sure most of us here are talking about performance for 'gentlemen's drag' on streets I.e. take off from traffic lights or tolls. Having the balls bigger are definitely not 'encouraged'. As the matter in fact shouldnt be practiced at all on the streets even if the street is empty as these acts are the main contributer to accidents on the road. Unless of course there is an event and the street is closed in a proper manner. I'll call those balls bigger than brain a plain stupid selfish fag on the road in regardless with or without modified car. Just my half cent.

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi im new here from ipoh...I wanted to ask a question is I took the part II & III test at 27 November I had passed...today I went to UTC want to get my P license and my record was not in the system they told me to bring my part II & III result paper to JPJ and ask them see what do because they may missed mine record...however I had lost my that result test paper bcz my house was paid to some people come to my house and clean...so do i have to retake the test again or wad?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience