The Importance of having a thermostat

Malcolm

Dec 7, 2003
Shah Alam
Hi all..

I used to drive a rolla SE Limited with a supercharger engine..

and...i got rid of the lil thermostat thingie...my car worked perfectly fine...actually i find

that my car runs even better...no overheating problems at all...

Temperature stay pretty constant throughout...starting up in the mornings the water temp

would take a lil longer to reach normal operating temp...and highway high speed driving

would cause water temp to drop slightly...other than that...No problems at all...

But i do check my cooling system properly, basically i make sure there are no leaks in the

hoses and stuff...and i'm using a high pressure radiator cap..1.3 bar if i'm not mistaken.

All i'm trying to say is...in my honest opinion and experience...there's nothing wrong with

getting rid of the thermostat...engine temperature is lower which i guess preserves the

engine oil a lil..fans don't need to work as hard...due to natural cool air coming in as u r

driving...I happily drove it that way...be it street, track...up down genting...highways...until

it got blardy stolen...

I'm driving a frostie now...and as soon as my mech says that there's no electrical wirings

or wateva that would cause a engine check light to come on ..i'm gonna chuck that stupid

piece of metal away...:shades_smile:

Cheers all...

cuscostrutbrace

500 RPM
Jul 10, 2004
Thermostat is not stupid piece of metal and it is there for a purpose,not for fun,car manufacturer wont put it there for no reasons i think

rollakid

4,000 RPM
Nov 9, 2004
Kuching Sarawak
Visit site
cuscostrutbrace said:
Thermostat is not stupid piece of metal and it is there for a purpose,not for fun,car manufacturer wont put it there for no reasons i think
i second that, considering all car manufacturer is trying to cut down cost so they can lower car selling price, yet they still put a thermostat in.

for my case for example, i dun think i can really do without a thermostat, because i have a habit of waking up 1 hour before class, and use half of that surfing zth first thing in the morning, and 20 min for breakfast and wash up, so that left me 10 min to comute 6km to university, where the last 3 km of them is slow traffic in rush hour so i have to make up time in the first 3km by driving hard. without a thermostat it would be a desaster as i don't let my car idle for more than 30 second after i drive off.

malcolm said:
engine temperature is lower which i guess preserves the
engine oil a lil
in fact it might be the other way around. yes your engine oil won't spoil because of overheating, but will spoil because of "underheating" if you could call it that. When engine is not hot enough, piston ring won't expand to the fullest, thus allowing combustion gas to go into the crank and spoil the engine oil due to chemical reaction(a sifu told me this at first, but i guess its common engineering knowledge), and in the end spoiling the engine itself.

fans don't need to work as hard...due to natural cool air coming in as u r
driving
theorically this would be true, but then even with a thermostat, my car never got hot enough to use its fan when i cruise on a steady speed like maybe 80-90km/h, even when my whole radiator is blocked by the condensor. (yes i didn't turn on the aircond, but thats another story, i'm trying to say that the limited air that goes through the condensor is already enough to cool down the engine for normal driving.

scoupe

1,000 RPM
Mar 19, 2005
shah alam
if im not mistaken the thermostat is there to ensure that the engine is running at optimum temp,this is the temp where the engine preforms at its best. removing the thermostat will cause the engine to run cooler than it should. this will also result in high fc, am i right? pls correct me if im wrong

rollakid

4,000 RPM
Nov 9, 2004
Kuching Sarawak
Visit site
scoupe said:
if im not mistaken the thermostat is there to ensure that the engine is running at optimum temp,this is the temp where the engine preforms at its best. removing the thermostat will cause the engine to run cooler than it should. this will also result in high fc, am i right? pls correct me if im wrong
not sure about the high fc part, but yeah, thats the basic idea.

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
scoupe said:
hey extrem ny probs with jpj, after putting scoop?
havent had any problem, yet.. there is alwiz the possibility. u have to remember one thing bro, starlets air scoop is a low profile unit. like the S cooper's, u cant see the scoop from far or from beside the car. how does urs look like?

scoupe

1,000 RPM
Mar 19, 2005
shah alam
well my scoop is still in the process, but the guy is gonna cut the scoop from the ae 101 and cut my bonet and replace with that, so generaly its gonna look like the ae 101 bonet.
xtremeleo said:
havent had any problem, yet.. there is alwiz the possibility. u have to remember one thing bro, starlets air scoop is a low profile unit. like the S cooper's, u cant see the scoop from far or from beside the car. how does urs look like?

rollakid

4,000 RPM
Nov 9, 2004
Kuching Sarawak
Visit site
haiyo.. get the supercharger scoop that is used to clear the supercharger instead of drawing air in from some 1967 camaro dragster lar XD police see also cabut far far dun dare aproach.

scoupe

1,000 RPM
Mar 19, 2005
shah alam
bro this is my scoop. so far it did help with the temp problem. i went up till bout half then when i started to move it came down.
xtremeleo said:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi everyone, I'm from China and I have a Soueast Lioncel (a rebadged facelift Lancer CK2A). It has a SOHC 4G18 engine with 100hp.

I've been looking into the idea of swapping a 4G92 Mivec engine into my car. Unlike Honda B series or the famed 4G63T, there's not a lot of info on the internet about the 4G9 mivec engines. I think south east asia is pretty much the only place where people still mess with this engine, and this is about the only active forum to ask...

In Guangzhou there are shops...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience