RON95 & RON97 Myths and Facts

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
My EX5 Kuasa Tinggi experience hard start and idling issues when cold if i'm using Petronas.

However your problem could be related to carburettor issues.get it service and change your fuel filter. I just solve fuel leak and engine backfires thru the carb problem by replacing the float and servicing the carb.its overflowing.last time had to set idling higher to avoid engine dies off at traffic light.

i wanted to try RON97 on the EX5 but shy to pump in...everyone at the station will be observing a guy pouring RON97 in an old kapchai.Maybe i have to pay at the pump using credit card.
Why malu, its called ada gaya.

Malu is driving Mercedes S400h and pump RON 95. Cheapskate.

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Why malu, its called ada gaya.

Malu is driving Mercedes S400h and pump RON 95. Cheapskate.
Ok then,once i finish this tank of Petronas RON95 then wil pump in RON97 and update here.
Will try 97 first then if got different, will go for Blaze...hihihi...

I know some riders of LC or 125z are loyal user of 97.My bro in law is an example with his highly tune LC.could be highly tune engine as kawa 150rr is having a hard time keepig up

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
But why pay more when there is no difference at all? Hehhehee
Exactly, if the car doesn't need higher RON then why pay more?
They don’t need RON 97, they need the low sulphur content in the Euro 4M standard. RON 95 is not Euro 4M yet.

They would know if they bother to read the manual. Since we don’t have the manual we can read the Wikipedia entry on the engine: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_M276_engine

Read the last paragraph.

Buy 500k cannot afford to pump the right fuel, not cheapskate?

Reactions: 6UE5t

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Ok then,once i finish this tank of Petronas RON95 then wil pump in RON97 and update here.
Will try 97 first then if got different, will go for Blaze...hihihi...

I know some riders of LC or 125z are loyal user of 97.My bro in law is an example with his highly tune LC.could be highly tune engine as kawa 150rr is having a hard time keepig up
If stock and not tuned, don’t need RON 97. Just read the friendly manual.

My car specifies RON 95, minimum RON 91, but for optimal fuel consumption needs sulphur free or low sulphur fuel. Below RON 91 and the car suffers damage, even though it has anti-knock control.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Just like I debunked the myth that Mark X should also use 97 coz it's tuned for 98 in Japan with very high compression ratio. :biggrin: Who knows maybe in the future I'll debunked more myths on RON requirement for other cars.
Keep up the myth busting experiments. About Mark X should only run on 97, that is very weird since that engine is not a performance engine.

peace at last?
btw, i do notice on my bike (lejen 110), when on petronas, it easily died after stopping at traffic lights. even after warming up.
But with bhp or petron, it's ok. any reason?
Similar issue happened to my 4G13 Saga before. There is just one Shell petrol station where I pump normal RON95 from there, my Saga will experience weird jerking and choking symptoms. There are times it can be as bad until my engine just died on me for no good reason and it is very difficult to start it back up again. If change to other Shell petrol station, no problem at all. It is rumored that the problematic Shell station that I went to is infamous for mixing something else into their petrol.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
They don’t need RON 97, they need the low sulphur content in the Euro 4M standard. RON 95 is not Euro 4M yet.

They would know if they bother to read the manual. Since we don’t have the manual we can read the Wikipedia entry on the engine: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_M276_engine

Read the last paragraph.

Buy 500k cannot afford to pump the right fuel, not cheapskate?
Ah ok then that's fair enough I guess.

Unfortunately sometimes for such luxury sedans, not the owner who always pump gas but a hired driver and the driver can try cheat by pumping cheaper fuel in it. I often see this happening for such luxury sedans and MPVs.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Keep up the myth busting experiments. About Mark X should only run on 97, that is very weird since that engine is not a performance engine.
...l.
No it's not but many owners believe it has to drink 97 because in Japan they say it's spec out for ron 98, so they always pump 97 here.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya

Similar issue happened to my 4G13 Saga before. There is just one Shell petrol station where I pump normal RON95 from there, my Saga will experience weird jerking and choking symptoms. There are times it can be as bad until my engine just died on me for no good reason and it is very difficult to start it back up again. If change to other Shell petrol station, no problem at all. It is rumored that the problematic Shell station that I went to is infamous for mixing something else into their petrol.
Yup, those days hear them mix in kerosene, but then nowadays kerosene also expensive, but lately less news on these case.

How about stale fuel? Some one mentioned about this also, if the station does not have good business the fuel takes longer to sell off and will certain additives gets evaporated off leaving less performing fuel? Anyone can comment on this?....lol

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
No it's not but many owners believe it has to drink 97 because in Japan they say it's spec out for ron 98, so they always pump 97 here.
I think it is okay for those Mark X owners to feed the engine with better quality fuel despite it doesn't need it. However if they are saying that the car can only run in RON97, then I think that is a false statement.

Yup, those days hear them mix in kerosene, but then nowadays kerosene also expensive, but lately less news on these case.

How about stale fuel? Some one mentioned about this also, if the station does not have good business the fuel takes longer to sell off and will certain additives gets evaporated off leaving less performing fuel? Anyone can comment on this?....lol
That particular station that I mentioned was closed down for few months this year. Maybe getting a lot of complaints. Now renovated and reopen again. But I am not trying that station anymore. There is also another station that I tried before once with my Saga on RON95. The engine din't stall or died but I seemed to hear a lot of knocking sound during low RPM. So, this station is also out from my books already.

One thing that I realize is, Saga's carbureted 4G13 seems to be more sensitive to low quality fuel while Wira EFI 4G15 doesn't seem to be affected much. I can't say much for my Wira on RON95 now as I have been using RON97 since the start of this year.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
That particular station that I mentioned was closed down for few months this year. Maybe getting a lot of complaints. Now renovated and reopen again. But I am not trying that station anymore. There is also another station that I tried before once with my Saga on RON95. The engine din't stall or died but I seemed to hear a lot of knocking sound during low RPM. So, this station is also out from my books already.

One thing that I realize is, Saga's carbureted 4G13 seems to be more sensitive to low quality fuel while Wira EFI 4G15 doesn't seem to be affected much. I can't say much for my Wira on RON95 now as I have been using RON97 since the start of this year.
Renovate is no point if still run by same management. Renovation most of the time is petrol company upgrade their status, not station owner.....lol

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I think it is okay for those Mark X owners to feed the engine with better quality fuel despite it doesn't need it. However if they are saying that the car can only run in RON97, then I think that is a false statement.
Yeah it's ok, may have just a slight benefit in gain/response but for me personally the marginal benefit doesn't justify the cost difference hence I just stick with 95.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
They “say” it’s spec out for RON 98. Only way to confirm is to check the manual. I doubt it’ll need minimum RON 98 as it’s not an all out performance vehicle.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Renovate is no point if still run by same management. Renovation most of the time is petrol company upgrade their status, not station owner.....lol
Ah, like that means no point already.

Yeah it's ok, may have just a slight benefit in gain/response but for me personally the marginal benefit doesn't justify the cost difference hence I just stick with 95.
Cost difference. If the car is driven daily, yes, I agree with you that the cost difference is not justified. If lets say the car is driven once a week or even longer, then maybe the cost difference is not so bad. Like my Wira where I am only refueling like once a month or even longer like one and a half month.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi...i recently noticed that my engine got tak tak tak sound...how come ahh? sometimes got but recently the sound seems louder :(
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience