go karting

kk13

1,000 RPM
Oct 29, 2005
hi guys,

is anyone here into go karting?

i just had a few questions. i was wondering what type of competitions they have for karting? is 125cc the fastest competition kart? and how much does a good 125cc kart cost, maybe even a second hand one?

anyone can share their experience in karting?. that would be great. thanks

Kookaburra

Known Member
Apr 29, 2005
Koala Lampost
kk13 said:
hi guys,

is anyone here into go karting?

i just had a few questions. i was wondering what type of competitions they have for karting? is 125cc the fastest competition kart? and how much does a good 125cc kart cost, maybe even a second hand one?

anyone can share their experience in karting?. that would be great. thanks
A decent condition 125cc kart will be around 10k, probably 3-4 year-old chassis. Brand new looking at 20k.

Not sure if the 100cc class is still around, but that's the most powerful class - 21,000rpm. The 125cc is much more affordable, engine life around 30-40 hours compared to the 1-2 hours of the 100cc, but 5,000-6,000 less revs. Where is that Godzilla fella? He karts competitively, so he can tell you more.

faisal

1,500 RPM
Oct 20, 2004
The Valley
ignition.my
BabygodzillaGTR, fordrunger are the resident ZTH Karting superstars, betweeen them there' over a decade of karting experience, 100cc & 125cc.

And neither is even 25 yrs old yet.

fordrunger

Known Member
Nov 17, 2003
KL
faisal is well versed...

kk13

you have to look at your budget man.. if you have enough money to spend go ahead and buy a full-package kart, between 19k-15k should get you a decent kart and engine. most karts today are fitted with 125 engines, ROK or Rotax, that are long lasting and powerful. most importantly they have a clutch so all have a start button. after that you spend most of your money on tires, fuel, storage and maintenence. if you want to race once you get better then you need an AAM karting licence which will set you back about RM250..or so.

if you dont have the money to kart like so you can join the My-kart group instead. for a few hundred ringgit a you get to experience full on racing conditions with 80cc karts. they even have a point system that runs like a championship, good fun and good learning ground for anyone trying karting for the first time.

another option is to join the Yamaha Cup. that one incoporates a rental system whereby you rent the kart and engine and race in their championship. i think you might need an AAM licence for that one not sure.. better check.

you should visit www.citykarting.com for more info and pictures of current events. www.shootmoto.com is mikko nassi's, a major contender in karting here, creation and he does an excellent job of bringing us action from his pictures. www.kartingmalaysia.com is also pretty good and of course www.my-kart.org.

dude i hope this is enough man if not then google it.

anyways on another note i got back from europe a few weeks back and i have to tell you guys the competition there is insane. the grip, the pace at which the teams move forward, the racing are all things that we are deprived of here. karting needs to grow if we are ever able to compete seriously at a world level. but i thoroughly enjoyed every moment of it.
kk13 if your parents are uber loaded you should book a plane ticket and go to some where like italy where all the chassis makers are based, well mostly the best are. hook up with a known team pay the bills and learn the ropes there, it would do you way good man, come back here you would already be decided champion as soon as your plane lands, well you know what im saying.

kk13

1,000 RPM
Oct 29, 2005
Thanks guys for all your advice,

Especially fordrunger. Really helped me loadz. I'm actually in the UK now, I'm doin my second year of uni. I'm in a place called guildford. The thing is there's not much karting here. It isn't a big sport like football. So there no place to start learning. silverstone and brands hatch are miles away. Plus i don't drive here.

Also, the competition in europe is great i know. Thats why i think it'll be really hard to learn here. I'll be coming back next month and thats when i'll look into karting. I wanted to get some experience before buying a kart. Maybe something more affordable, where i can rent a kart and race. Also, i've only been karting a couple of times.

I visited www.my-kart. org. I tried joining the mailing list but it doesn't work. I signed up, the e-mailed me the password but everytime i try it keeps saying still not activated.

kk13

1,000 RPM
Oct 29, 2005
thanks kookaburra,

My usename is the same as this one, kk13. I applied a few days ago.

Yes, guilford is west of london. I'm at the University of Surrey. There are a few karting places around, I've looked it up. The closest is about 30 mins drive. I don't have a car here so tats y its quite hard to get there. Also its really really expensive here. Your looking at 20 to 30 pounds for about 10, 15 mins.

sabelt

500 RPM
Dec 7, 2003
Petaling Jaya
Visit site
kk13 said:
Thanks guys for all your advice,

Especially fordrunger. Really helped me loadz. I'm actually in the UK now, I'm doin my second year of uni. I'm in a place called guildford. The thing is there's not much karting here. It isn't a big sport like football. So there no place to start learning. silverstone and brands hatch are miles away. Plus i don't drive here.
Guess you havent explored much motorsport scene in UK.

AlmostEvo

Known Member
Nov 19, 2003
Pg/ KL
Visit site
Hi guys, I'm also new into karting. Usually I play at the Shah Alam track. Been to the USJ track too but Shah Alam is cheaper for 80cc fun karts. Was great at the beginning but the rain is killing the mood. Would be great to get some pointers from you experienced karters.

Last edited:

Kookaburra

Known Member
Apr 29, 2005
Koala Lampost
The rain is a blessing, how else will you learn to drive in the wet? Of course, not too heavy lah. Last time we had a few my-kart race in the wet, damn syok!

AlmostEvo

Known Member
Nov 19, 2003
Pg/ KL
Visit site
Racing in the rain isnt tht fun for me :( Especially when the kart isnt going where its suppose to be. Spent most of the time fighting with the car instead of fighting for better times. Joined the last round of the Enduro-race in SA with terrible results. Chain snapped with abt 3 mins to go. DNF.

sabelt

500 RPM
Dec 7, 2003
Petaling Jaya
Visit site
Driving in the wet require different techniques then your normal usual driving.
Brake earlier, spend less time on the brakes, tap it dont hold too long or else the kart would understeer like mad, counter the steering before the entry of course, try to avoid race line (not really necessary but depending on the surface situation).

When apex and exit, be gentle on steering and throttle...

AlmostEvo

Known Member
Nov 19, 2003
Pg/ KL
Visit site
thanks man,
Should I accelerate as I corner , like usual or accelerate only after i pass the apex? Cos I notice that I get loads of understeer when I accelerate early. And I think part of my mistake is that turn my steering alil too much, hence locking it and the car still goes straight. :(

sabelt

500 RPM
Dec 7, 2003
Petaling Jaya
Visit site
Gently play around with the throttle and be sensitive with it. Always remember slow in, fast out method. A good practice is to get used to drive slick tyre kart in a wet condition even its almost impossible to drive. Once you master them, driving with wet tyre would be just a piece of cake.

Another tips on the wet is try to shift your body weight is to lean slight forward when understeering (not too much) turn and lean slight back when exit. This requires the rear end gives more bite and grip when lean back. This requires a lot of practice.

*This rainy season would be a good choice to practice wet techniques. CityKarting in Shah Alam close at 10pm.

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Dearest brothers of ZTH,

I am currently setting up a mechanic workshop at Jelutong/Batu Lanchang whereby car servicing, car repairs etc were offered. Pls feel free to drop by n give me some support to build my business. My workshop is situated at:-

1. if u r coming from Lam Wah Ee Hospital

- after the 1st traffic lights at the Mewah Court junction, u will c a petshop, Wonderland Petshop, on ur left. Our workshop is directly opposite the petshop. There is a gate there whereby...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience