intercooler repair

sideksepakragabulat

Jun 28, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
hi,there..

so i get this intercooler and wondering if i can use it on how it's look now or it need any special treatment..

here r some of the ic pic..

try to straighten a few of it fin..

small tube dent with a small leakage on that 4th tube from left to right..

inside core pic..

got this unit from a buddy of mine..he just want to throw it away but i manage to get him gave it to me..further research i found out that this is a HKS unit for supra 88-92 models..after knowing the origin of this ic;instead of selling it i think i want to put it in my car replacing those retard jasma ic i've been using now..

on it's condition right now,what repair does it need to be efficient again?i was thinking to send it to a radiator shop for cleaning the outside/inside core becos i can see some oil residue in it..and also maybe weld the leaking tube if the shop can do that..

but the main prob is while i was trying to straighten the fin,some of it just fall..it is normal?or does the intercooler core finally give up?is it even worthy to mess up with?

hope someone can help me...TQVM

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
I used to have an intercooler similar condition to yours but its not leaking just that some of the fins are dented,
I had to use tweezers to slowly straighten it one by one, it took me about 3-4 months to get it all the fins straight, in the process some of the fins will just drop off..its normal.

not sure whether u could weld the leakage though.

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
I used to have an intercooler similar condition to yours but its not leaking just that some of the fins are dented,
I had to use tweezers to slowly straighten it one by one, it took me about 3-4 months to get it all the fins straight, in the process some of the fins will just drop off..its normal.

I've seen welding before on radiator. Can it be applied on IC?

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya

Aluminum welding, I think can spot weld that part....

Yah! the fins looks pretty dented.....:banghead:

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
use a/c cleaning chemical....

as for the fin..u still can salvage the fin and re-arrange them in proper arrangement again...the one that reput already can't do anything about it...just it takes time to re-arrange the fin...i use test pen manually pry each one of them.....but since u were going to home aircond shop to buy the chemical might be as well as buy the fin comb altogether...

sideksepakragabulat

Jun 28, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
thanks guys..had brought this ic to a radiator shop and it only can be cleaned and weld the leaking..can't say how long that weld could hold on but for the time being i think it fix..try to blow air with my mout on the inlet while closing the outlet i can't find any air coming out from this ic..the radiator shop clean it using thinner i think becos of the smell..and for that pin size hole weld it cost me rm60 for the job..re-arrange the fin will be done by me snce the shop doesn't provide such service..

i've tried hold this ic in front of a fan(that tall house fan)and i can feel some breeze behind this ic..and that with the fan at full no 3 speed..:laugh::laugh:

so is it now ready to be use?also i've being thinking about to paint it flat/matte black colour as i've seen a video in youtube saying that a black ic improve efficiency significantly..and 1 more thing..will the reput fin causing any prob in the future?

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
I had mine sprayed silver & sprayed the TRUST wording in front, it was sold 3 months later after arranging the fins.
the reput fins does not cause any problems.

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
thanks guys..had brought this ic to a radiator shop and it only can be cleaned and weld the leaking..can't say how long that weld could hold on but for the time being i think it fix..try to blow air with my mout on the inlet while closing the outlet i can't find any air coming out from this ic..the radiator shop clean it using thinner i think becos of the smell..and for that pin size hole weld it cost me rm60 for the job..re-arrange the fin will be done by me snce the shop doesn't provide such service..

i've tried hold this ic in front of a fan(that tall house fan)and i can feel some breeze behind this ic..and that with the fan at full no 3 speed..:laugh::laugh:

so is it now ready to be use?also i've being thinking about to paint it flat/matte black colour as i've seen a video in youtube saying that a black ic improve efficiency significantly..and 1 more thing..will the reput fin causing any prob in the future?
Might Car Mods for the win!!!

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I had mine sprayed silver & sprayed the TRUST wording in front, it was sold 3 months later after arranging the fins.
the reput fins does not cause any problems.
Wow, what is the original brand "RUST"?......hahahhahahhahaha:rofl::rofl:

sideksepakragabulat

Jun 28, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
in term of intercooler..what determine brand A is better than brand B?i've counted the front fin and found out that there about 13 FPI(fin per inch)..mishimoto intercooler around 7.5 FPI if i'm not mistaken..which core determine better cooling?the frontal or the inside core?

i've seen this ic pic around the net when it was new back then..not so bad IMO..and i remember my fren told me before.."an old ugly looking original ic is far better than those new,shiny taiwan fake ic.."never really take his opinion seriously but after using those shiny looking jasma ic now it seem what my fren told me has a point..it only take 2 run on the dyno before the tuner had someone to spray that ic with water to improve cooling..i've seen my fren e7 with his stock ic hold up more than 10 minutes before any water spray is needed..

Nats autoparts

Known Member
Oct 18, 2007
just buy rm2 fuel 95
and dump in the intercooler and shake it and shake it and shake it and repeat
and shake it and repeat and shake it and repeat and done
during this process try notice the leak on the fin
ahhh dont forget to close the both end when doing so
use ur imaginary friend to help u with that ( condom perhaps ) lol!!

sideksepakragabulat

Jun 28, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
:biggrin: i tested it just by pouring some soapy water in it..try to blow it from one end and the other end i just cover it with my hand..no bubbles getting out from the fin..blow it so hard it makes my face turn blue lol..

anyway i think i couldn't use this unit becos of space limitation..need to cut my bumper all the way spi putus..beside it size around 530x320x70mm..almost as big as those skyline ic..and i try to cramp it on L2s bumper...silly me...lol

and so this unit is open for sale...pm me or give a call at 0192996864..and remember guys..it a hks unit..lol

TheDuckster

Known Member
Jun 18, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
forum.lowyat.net
:biggrin: i tested it just by pouring some soapy water in it..try to blow it from one end and the other end i just cover it with my hand..no bubbles getting out from the fin..blow it so hard it makes my face turn blue lol..

anyway i think i couldn't use this unit becos of space limitation..need to cut my bumper all the way spi putus..beside it size around 530x320x70mm..almost as big as those skyline ic..and i try to cramp it on L2s bumper...silly me...lol

and so this unit is open for sale...pm me or give a call at 0192996864..and remember guys..it a hks unit..lol
it's really sad that u did everything and then had to sell it off~~
at least u got a thread to prove that u fixed the IC by giving it to that :rolleyes:

sideksepakragabulat

Jun 28, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
it's really sad that u did everything and then had to sell it off~~
at least u got a thread to prove that u fixed the IC by giving it to that :rolleyes:
yup and it takes me about a month just straighten the fin..also almost empty my air filter cleaner just to make sure gaps around that fin clear from any debris..after every fin straighten session i test it in front of a stand fan..from a light breeze of air until now it flow significantly better than before..it a bad thing that my car is a daily driven car..if the car run only at tracks i would not hesitate to using it..i just a big fan of hks parts...if only the size a bit smaller...:smokin::smokin:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi guys,

Just a simple DIY on how to replace this oil seal (for 4G93T engine). Its location is shown below.

Figure 1 : All the components. [1] Oil Filter, [6] 24mm Nut, [7] Oil Cooler, [N] Oil Seal to be replaced

Things you need :
1) All basic tools (oil filter remover, pliers, etc)
2) 24mm ratchet socket (a deep one)
3)...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience