Getting Serious

[PIMPIN]

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
Since I'm too old to be a 'boy racer', it's time to take racing more seriously - something which I have always wanted but when I was a student. I have slightly more cash nowadays so I'm thinking of racing more seriously but I'm at ends as to how I should go about it.

I'd say that I'm leaning more to drag racing given the fact the SDB is held fairly regularly and plus, in Australia it's all about the quarter-mile so I've been brainwashed somewhat.

Anyways, after some thought my options are:

1) Use my R34 as a drag car. I'll continue renewing the road tax and use 3rd party insurance and use the car primarily for drag racing. This would involve a new engine from overseas, sequential box I suppose, etc. The pros would be using a good platform whilst the cons would be having to competing with the big boys (eg: 8 second Evos, etc).

2) Buy an R32GTR with the help of Tom and then find a way to bring it into the country using the proper AP which I believe is possible or worst case scenario get an R32 GTST locally and convert. The pros would be a proper proper drag car which I can run in a class lower with the RWD boys. The cons would be me being stuck with two Skylines!

Either way, to do it properly I would say abt 200k? Plus, I'd probably sell the R34 sometime this year if the R35s drop more in price AND I somehow find a way to afford it LOL.

I know it's fun to come up with 'Dream Setup' etc etc but I'm looking for serious input. Would you or could you bring yourself to strip down your current ride mainly for racing once every month or so? Is it too dumb an idea?

reintel

500 RPM
Jul 27, 2004
You live only once. Enjoy while you can still afford. (Money and physically).

I started stripping current ride as full race ride but off course i bought replacement ride for that. You may have the money to eventually do up everything and start racing and regular basis, but do you have time to actually do it? Sacrificing precious time to make more money? being with the family? girlfriend? mistress?

That Idea is never a dumb thing, is how you look it at a different perspective.

flabby

Known Member
May 8, 2009
My only concern is how about are you going to sell your r34 if you decided to strip it since you said you might sell it off at some point this year. I doubt people can afford to pay the price (drag 34) when you sell it unless u return it back to stock (another sum of money used). By looking at the amount youre willing to spend if you convert the r34 it is highly unlikely that you'll get back what you dumped on the car. my 2 cents.

gobiz

500 RPM
May 16, 2004
KL
Visit site
Long time no see.

Just IMHO.
1. Keep the R34 for the road and shows.

2. Get a cheap, legal R32 then convert to drag spec. Check out what RIPs did. His R32 GTS-4 is even still in full road spec, plus fully stock internal rb30. Been doing 10s for 5+ years on same engine.

Apparently he's coming to the UK in July... I'm going to go and check out all the RIPS cars here woohoo!

flabby

Known Member
May 8, 2009
heard hes bringing his drag r to battle it out with the r32 with added weights on 32

why not get a 240z with a rb30..cost you half as much..even cheaper if you just get a track car and keep 34 as street car

Last edited:

cmng

3,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
Visit site
Go ahead if you have the fund on it
it just once in a life time

i doing this for myself as well
one street legal driven hot hatch and one street legal but race spec car for you to play for fun
it not a GTR nor a Skyline, as least i no worry for it when it broke down or crash

taking your priceless car to track is nightmare when you see all the milo tin car cornering you at corner
you slow down. they say you lousy driver and lousy car
you daredevil on it.. it might hurt your car ( hurt... not damaged :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: )

if your own track car. you can say... mari la.. kita try siapa punya body kuat sikit
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

flabby

Known Member
May 8, 2009
track import alot cheaper..imho if youre serious, get a track car and roadcaged it and strip it down to the core..no aircon etc ...youll still have plenty of money lying around with ur budget of 200k

pocong

Known Member
Oct 3, 2008
heard hes bringing his drag r to battle it out with the r32 with added weights on 32

why not get a 240z with a rb30..cost you half as much..even cheaper if you just get a track car and keep 34 as street car
Whoahhhh... 240Z with RB 30 as race car and 34 as as street car? I rather do the opposite coz 240Z cost much much much more than R34 in Japan Auction and also in classic car market in oversea. Saw 1 unit 240Z at 5 million Yen but R34 juz at 1.2 million and some is lesser...

Flabby... pls let me know I you come accross any 240Z for scrap or in abandoned...

khoyos

2,000 RPM
Nov 23, 2003
Shah Alam
since ur going to race the car, u can always buy cars from yahoo auction japan. with ur financial capabilities, u can personally catch a flight to go there to choose the lowest mileage n best condition GTR to purchase. then have it brought back here, along with 1 20ft container box full with goodies from HKS, tomei n jun ready to be assembled. no need to register, maybe can apply motorsport AP (or maybe skip that process, with ur connections). and have the car towed to circuit everytime there are race events. even us at significantly much lower financial status have our race cars towed to sepang, so there's no need to buy a road legal car. this would save the R34 from being "raped", and the savings can be channeled to feed more cfm, more boost, more cooling and more traction to ur drag car. and if u decide to be "naughty" on the road, the R34 GTR is still available to serve its master. no need to strip off the interior and it continues to be a road warrior.

p/s: be warned though, malaysian drag racing scene is ruled by 4 bangers. dont be surprised if ur 200k drag machine gets left behind by cars cheaper than ur wheels hehe. good luck bro. would love to see a new monster taking charge of sepang hehehe

flabby

Known Member
May 8, 2009
pocong, i didnt look at the japan auction but i did a search and it was selling for around 40k RM and even rips selling its 240z stripped for 30k NZ.. it wont cost more than a skyline. Sorry if i m wrong :)
Robs 240z with engine selling for 97500 NZ 7.8secs quartermile..i rckn its neg. which is around his budget but maybe it will cost a lot more after import tax etc .

honestly r34 for just 1.4mil yen ? Is is accident free ? i m talking bout GTR not ER ..sorry bro...mind telling me which site you checked the price for the 240z and it says more than a r34..noob here hehehe no offence

Last edited:

farizio

Known Member
Nov 26, 2007
KL
sell the Spec C and get yourself a weapons grade GT-R with some serious firepower under the hood for those drag battles!

[PIMPIN]

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
Long time no see.

Just IMHO.
1. Keep the R34 for the road and shows.

2. Get a cheap, legal R32 then convert to drag spec. Check out what RIPs did. His R32 GTS-4 is even still in full road spec, plus fully stock internal rb30. Been doing 10s for 5+ years on same engine.

Apparently he's coming to the UK in July... I'm going to go and check out all the RIPS cars here woohoo!
Yeah I've gotten in touch with RIPS. I totally forgot about the GTS-4! Much cheaper alternative than the GTR. A friend of mine used to run high 12s with very basic mods and that time the GTS-4s were nearly half the price of the '89-'90 GTRs.

Go ahead if you have the fund on it
it just once in a life time

i doing this for myself as well
one street legal driven hot hatch and one street legal but race spec car for you to play for fun
it not a GTR nor a Skyline, as least i no worry for it when it broke down or crash

taking your priceless car to track is nightmare when you see all the milo tin car cornering you at corner
you slow down. they say you lousy driver and lousy car
you daredevil on it.. it might hurt your car ( hurt... not damaged :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: )

if your own track car. you can say... mari la.. kita try siapa punya body kuat sikit
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Yeah, a bit sayang to race the R34. But at the same time, I think I should consider alternatives to a drag GTR. As some guys have posted - I can always have an RB engine in something else. Like Jamsari's S13 (RMD Johor)

sell the Spec C and get yourself a weapons grade GT-R with some serious firepower under the hood for those drag battles!
Sold the Spec C bro. Check Motor Trader LOL

Anyways thanks guys for the input - will do the math and see how it works out. For all you know, I'll go for a rotary setup. Then RB's eat my dust :stupid:

pocong

Known Member
Oct 3, 2008
pocong, i didnt look at the japan auction but i did a search and it was selling for around 40k RM and even rips selling its 240z stripped for 30k NZ.. it wont cost more than a skyline. Sorry if i m wrong :)
Robs 240z with engine selling for 97500 NZ 7.8secs quartermile..i rckn its neg. which is around his budget but maybe it will cost a lot more after import tax etc .

honestly r34 for just 1.4mil yen ? Is is accident free ? i m talking bout GTR not ER ..sorry bro...mind telling me which site you checked the price for the 240z and it says more than a r34..noob here hehehe no offence
Dear Flabby, try this link .....http://www.terra2imports.ca/nissan/ you will notice how much is the R32 and R33 GTR cost compared with 240Z, Hakosuka or even 510 Bluebird... Even few 510 Bluebird cost more than a GTR n most expensive is Hakosuka at 7 million yen. No R34 GTR this time but last time got many for auction. Open it and indulge yourself.... cheers...

mizunori77

1,000 RPM
Dec 13, 2006
dun strip ur r34 lar... you dress her up nicely now you wanna bogel her meh? lolz...

anyway, i also agree that getting a r32gts is a cheaper option compared to stripping ur road legal r34. if you don't mind 4 bangers, sr22 in a 180sx can be pretty fast and also cheaper as well. whatever ur decision is, good luck bro. :driver::biggrin:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

last time i was at taiping also cannot find any shop sell motul. Ipoh only got at the famous falken tyre shop and the zerofour. also notice one shop with motul signboard near the menglembu - falim junction. not sure they got the engine oil or not.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience