EG Rear Lower Control Arm

EGfan

Known Member
Dec 18, 2003
I just changed a few arm bushes on my EG lately, and i just wanna share.

My car always had funny noise at the rear since years ago, and was too lazy to fix it. While replacing my suspension, i found the rear lower arm bushes were dead. Could see the rubber torn.

Upon further inspection, i found that the bush was welded on to the arm!!! And all 4 bushes were welded... This bush is sliding left to right!!!!

So i remember, when i bought my front bushings lately, the seller told me that automotive bushings are tapered, which means 1 side of the bush is bigger than the other. The bush must be pumped in by sliding in the smaller side.

And usually mechanics will send the arms to machine shop to pump the bush out. Instantly, i suspect that my old bushings were pumped in a wrong direction, which is why they have to weld it as the bushing will be loose. And they probably didn't care if i could re-use the arm after that.
The bushing is broken now, and so is my arm. The arm is damaged by the weld, and will not be able to hold the bush anymore. Luckily my fren gave me his old LCA.

I don't blame my mechanic as they might not even know bout it. Not wanting to f*ck up another time, i went personally to the machine shop recommended by my fren to get the bushes pumped. True enough, upon looking at the bush, first thing they did was to check if the bushings are tapered. With proper tools, all they took was 10mins for 4 bushes..There is also a special bracket that holds the arm from bending while pumping the bushes in. This is important as the bush location is hollow in the middle. The hole might flex while the bush is getting pumped in.

Very professional and cheap....also i found out that mechanics mark up 250% for the labour to pump bushes....

So next time if any of you replace any bushings, check with the mechanic if they know about it.

Last edited:

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004
thanks for the info...

mind giving info about the machine shop u sent it to?

ddv_nk12

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2011
PD
Thanks for sharing man!! I never knew it was supposed to be machine-fitted. All these while they just force it in and I thought that is how it is done. All bushes need to be sent to the machine shop to fit it? Mind to share how much you were charged by the machine shop to do this?

EGfan

Known Member
Dec 18, 2003
thanks for the info...

mind giving info about the machine shop u sent it to?
Sang Engineering
No. 61 & 63, Jalan TS6/5, Taman Industri Subang, 47510 Subang Jaya
Its somewhere near ex Ah Heng exhaust...

how are you doing btw? guess we are one of the few hcoc-ians who still drives a honda...

---------- Post added at 03:10 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:47 AM ----------

Thanks for sharing man!! I never knew it was supposed to be machine-fitted. All these while they just force it in and I thought that is how it is done. All bushes need to be sent to the machine shop to fit it? Mind to share how much you were charged by the machine shop to do this?
They use hydraulic press as well, but they have proper adapters/cones that will push the sleeve and not the metal insert in the center.

Usually the bushes in the arms will only have to be pumped. I only know of
1. front lower arm bush ( 2 per side )
2. rear lower arm ( 2 per side ),
3. rear trailing arm bush..might be more, will only know when time comes...
the rest like ARB, stabilizer link are remove and replace.

A pack of ciggy will get you a bush replaced...

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004
uiks? HCOC? hahahah... thats old man... heh which one are u?

theres a few other guys still driving hondas around

stingg

Known Member
Sep 20, 2005
subang jaya
good info dude... i need to change my bush soon too. Do they provide lower arm dismantle service or we need to bring the dismantled arm there,

EGfan

Known Member
Dec 18, 2003
good info dude... i need to change my bush soon too. Do they provide lower arm dismantle service or we need to bring the dismantled arm there,
Unfortunately no. You have to dismantle and bring it there yourself...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Edaran Tan Chong Motor Sdn Bhd (ETCM) has just launched their Nissan Leaf Pilot Program today, making them the first manufacturer to begin the 'Journey to Zero Emission' within Malaysia at their Nissan showroom in Petaling Jaya.

<!--more-->This follows ETCM's invitation to the public to come...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience