B16a Engine Simple Modification

apexivafc04

Known Member
Nov 19, 2004
HELLO, JUST PURCHASE B16B CAM, VALVE SPRING, SPOON 0.45MM HEAD GASKET AND AEROSPEED ADJUSTABLE CAM PULLEY. GOING TO INSTALL IT REAL SOON. BY THE WAY STILL LOOKING FOR B16B INJECTOR. NOW SOME QUESTION:

1) IS THE B16B INJECTOR SAME AS B16A?
2) WHAT DEGREE SHOULD ADJUST ETC..+1(INTAKE,-1(EXHAUST) IF USING ADJUSTABLE CAM PULLEY?
3) I GOT PROBLEM FINDING THE WHOLE SET DRIVESHAFT(LEFT SIDE), IS B16B DRIVESHAFT CAN FIT TO MY EG6 ENGINE?

CAN THE ABOVE SIMPLE MODIFICATION REALLY MAKE MY CAR MORE POWER IN TERM OF RESPONSE AND MIDRANGE TO TOP END?

REALLY NEED TO KNOW. THANKS!:regular_smile:

hattech-v

Over 10,000 RPM!
Oct 10, 2004
Seri Kembangan
www.avantech.com.my
not to say very power but better than stock b16a...
with the right tuning for the cam n fueling i think u shud be able to gain estimated 10hp extra.. oso increasing ur torque since u increase the compression using aftermarket 2 layer head gasket (is it?)
+- cam setting can be done wether on dyno or on the road (better dyno)..
but if using cam dialer is much better...
b16b injector shud be same with b16a injector in term of cc if not mistaken...
only got 2 type.. peak n hold type or saturated...
p&h type normally is low impedence injector n need a help fr a resistor box..
saturated one is high impedence one. b16a EG injector using different socket with b16b injector unless its B16A EK injector which has the same socket with type r injector.
driveshaft i think can fit into ur eg without any problem if not mistaken.

apexivafc04

Known Member
Nov 19, 2004
hattech-v said:
with the right tuning for the cam n fueling i think u shud be able to gain estimated 10hp extra.. oso increasing ur torque since u increase the compression using aftermarket 2 layer head gasket (is it?)
saturated one is high impedence one. b16a EG injector using different socket with b16b injector unless its B16A EK injector which has the same socket with type r injector.
THANKS HALTECH-V. VERY GOOD INFO.
YES, THE HEAD GASKET IS 2 LAYER. WHAT IS THE MEANING OF CAM DIALER?
ACTUALLY MY CAR IS NOT EG ITS EK. I 'M STILL LOOKING FOR USED VAFC 2 DO U GOT ANY?

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
I thought driveshafts are the same for the B family if EK/EG..

I'm using CTR knuckles, and my stock B16A driveshaft fits just fine... B16B driveshaft should be similar also.. got different type one meh? (O_o)

A cam dial is the thing you plug on the head (with a stand) that gives you valve lift numbers.

Not so simple for DIY, since you also need a degree wheel on the crank.

Try not to mess with advance/retard cam/ignition timing unless you know what you are doing because a b16A head with B16B cams have really tight tolerances due to the higher max lift B16B cams can attain.

What clears the pistons/valves during non VTEC point may not clear post VTEC..

But using spoon gasket.. with that kind of money.. I'd plonk in for a set of B16B pistons with slight overbore and run thicker (Ahem, cheap!) gaskets.

Even more power, isn't it hattech?

And there are reasons why people don't use ALL CAPS in a post.

Good luck with your mods.

Last edited:

Oderf

1,000 RPM
Jul 27, 2005
KL
www.zerotohundred.com
huhu....zaki oredi cater asian market aaa ? hahahaha...restecpa! ....yeah, agree with shiro...put in CTR pistons...together with the cams.....more significant power gain can be expected... remember higher lift cams are mean for higher compression engine....ehehehheee...good luck!

eddie_vtec

500 RPM
Dec 15, 2005
hattech-v said:
yeah...i agree with mr hattech say...setting cam on dyno better....i done this before...hehehehe

J101

1,000 RPM
Jul 15, 2005
malaysia
1) IS THE B16B INJECTOR SAME AS B16A?
same size.

2) WHAT DEGREE SHOULD ADJUST ETC..+1(INTAKE,-1(EXHAUST) IF USING ADJUSTABLE CAM PULLEY?
u can only do this when u have the cam sheet, correct calculation of the head thickness and gasket chosen and pulleys and dial base on your setup. its not "suka-suka" follow ppl setup of follow what has been HEARD or READ.

let us know the results before and after. cheers.

akuma

3,000 RPM
Jul 16, 2005
Kuantan
Shiro,
i tot B16A head=B16B?d only diff is B16B head is P&P-ed frm d factory..its still basically a PR3 head,no?so it shud haf d same height n clearance of a B16A.but u r right.messing d d cams' setting is not a joke....haf seen an EK w such settings,intake retard 3degrees,exos advance 3degrees...still cant figure out y d tuner did dis....gona open up d cam cover 2 reconfirm d setting....

J101,
i tot ur gonna gip ur all time fav sekelet cam setting out 1?heheheh

apexivafc04

Known Member
Nov 19, 2004
WHAT DEGREE SHOULD ADJUST ETC..+1(INTAKE,-1(EXHAUST) IF USING ADJUSTABLE CAM PULLEY?
u can only do this when u have the cam sheet, correct calculation of the head thickness and gasket chosen and pulleys and dial base on your setup. its not "suka-suka" follow ppl setup of follow what has been HEARD or READ.

J101,
Actually how to calculate the setting? Do u have the formula? Thanks!:regular_smile:

Last edited:

J101

1,000 RPM
Jul 15, 2005
malaysia
your chosen capable engine tuner/builder should be able to do it. if you are not sure where to send your car, let us know your location and few of the forumers will be able to show/guide you the the right tuner shop to go. they know what to do, u dont have to scratch your head in mechanical details.

1. i do not see the point of you changing injectors of the SAME size.

2. scrap the aerospeed cam gears. they are inaccurate. go back to stock. be safe than sorry. theres in nothing to dial in in a CTR cams. theres no overlapping/advancing/retading needed on a stock engine as you are not pounding high compression engine. just put 0,0.

3. the power for the CTR cams and the gasket will make you feel day and night. good street combination. just dun ruin it by trying to extract some hidden dragon power. thats all.

:) just my 20cents.

apexivafc04 said:
J101,
Actually how to calculate the setting? Do u have the formula? Thanks!:regular_smile:

Last edited:

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
akuma said:
Shiro,
i tot B16A head=B16B?d only diff is B16B head is P&P-ed frm d factory..its still basically a PR3 head,no?so it shud haf d same height n clearance of a B16A.but u r right.messing d d cams' setting is not a joke....haf seen an EK w such settings,intake retard 3degrees,exos advance 3degrees...still cant figure out y d tuner did dis....gona open up d cam cover 2 reconfirm d setting....
Who said anything about the head? I meant the cams.

B16B has 13mm+ (thereabouts) of lift, while the B18CR has 11mm+ of lift.

Those 2mm can create disaster if rev limit was changed even slightly.

Even some setups (depending on gasket thickness) B16B piston & cams in B16A engine need a bit of miling on the piston face to get the minimum clearance.

If you rotate the crank, probably won't hit, but at 8000K rpm... rods start to stretch, and you'll need to compensate for that by adding a few mms of clearance.

That's what I meant by the clearance thing..

B16B pistons in B16A block = higher compression, amount depending on gasket thickness.

hattech-v

Over 10,000 RPM!
Oct 10, 2004
Seri Kembangan
www.avantech.com.my
shiro,
cam lift is same, only duration b16b higher than b18c...

1. ITR/CTR (Chilled Cast Cores)

- STOCK 1997-1999 ITR

INTAKE lift - 11.5 mm, duration 240 @1mm
EXHAUST lift - 10.5mm, duration 235 @1mm

- STOCK CTR and 2000-2001 ITR

INTAKE lift - 11.5 mm, duration 243 @1mm
EXHAUST lift - 10.5mm, duration 235 @1mm

hattech-v

Over 10,000 RPM!
Oct 10, 2004
Seri Kembangan
www.avantech.com.my
akuma said:
Shiro,

J101,
i tot ur gonna gip ur all time fav sekelet cam setting out 1?heheheh
i think the head almost same like other b-series head (head only, not the parts inside it)...even it can be said that type r head is not fully pnp-ed.. its only on the valve guide area that being ported by the factory...
n different a bit for the valve seat angle.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hello,

I recently saw a bottle of so called fuel line cleaner(cant remember the exact name) at an car accer shop selling for RM12. It says that im suppose to add it in my fuel tank and it'll clean the fuel line and carburetor or something and lower my fuel comsumption, increasing fuel efficiency. Just wondering anyone out there used anything like this before? Im having doubts about it and im scared of adding these kind of addictives into the fuel, scared it might cause trouble to my engine...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience