Custom Throttle Manifold Discussion

Newbienissan

Banned
Jul 19, 2010
earth
Hi all,

Like to start a discussion on custom intake manifold for n/a and turbo engines. Anyone like to start ? I have tested 3 diff cars with custom intake manifold and they responds differently. Some better pickup respond, some slower pickup but huge improvement on the mid n top end especially for turbo cars.

example of a custom intake manifold

pic is borrowed, owned by nchun1 (monster sr20ve):adore:

Last edited:

Newbienissan

Banned
Jul 19, 2010
earth
both na and turbo also uses custom intake manifold for improve engine respond. u like to share you're using one too ? :)

one1002

Known Member
Jun 4, 2009
where did u get this custom intake done?and what is the price including installation? =)

Kyraemy

Jun 8, 2008
wow this is interesting , anyone care to share their experiences ? might apply to my next project list . N/A is all good .

Newbienissan

Banned
Jul 19, 2010
earth
nonono, is not mine, is my friend nchun1. i think he is a zth member here too. i was asking is there also anyone using this kind of setup. normally this custom manifold gives about 10% extra engine respond n some extra horses.....

---------- Post added at 09:07 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:02 AM ----------

where did u get this custom intake done?and what is the price including installation? =)
bro, my friend told me he done it for rm800, you need to remove your ori manifold, and the workshop cut the tapak n combine welding custom manifold to it + the throttle body (stock or supersize also can).

arturo

nooB
Aug 5, 2004
SateCelupLand
how do they calculate the internal volume of the intake? if myunderstanding of airflow is useable, if the volume in the intake is not rite, it might hurt power instead of increasing it? even the shape of the internal airflow should be important rite? i think to know how to custom make an intake manifold, we'd need to know whats the volume of air needed by the engine at any given rev, then maybe from there can make a variable intake manifold which auto adjusts based on rev?

its this nagging logic that keeps me from just plonking in an open pod into my auto...

**do correct me if my logic is wrong...just thinking out loud.**

Newbienissan

Banned
Jul 19, 2010
earth
aturo,
dun worry, your concern is already be taken care by the custom manifold makers, they only need to know your apllication is for TURBO or NA. they're experts

for auto, i think open pod or no filter at all would not effect you auto gbox, what affects is the exhaust setup, normally autogbox MUST use S-flow for back pressure so you autogbox can auto downshift according to volumetric exhaust pressure

Last edited:

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
arturo, you will need other supporting mods to compliment the CIM. Things like high cam, bigger TB. Like NB said, the makers need to know your application (RPM range that you will be utilizing most, your supporting mods..etc)

Stock manifold is good for street use on a stock engine as it was design to give you good low-Mid range power. You can see this from the small plenum before the runner (to keep the air velocity high) and the small runner cross section to keep air moving at maximum speed into the intake ports but the small cross section of the runners and small plenum limits how much air can flow into the plenum and runners. When at high speed the engine will try to pull in more air but the air flow is limited by the size of the IM, runners, and TB.

arturo, if the engine is going to operate at high RPM, you will need a CIM with its plenum volume = to the engine displacement or higher + a matching shorter and runner with bigger cross section...etc...You also need the CIM plenum surface and runners to be as smooth as possible. I tried once to custom an intake but I made a wrong calculation at the air volume in the plenum and didn't notice it until I actually give the drawing to the guys that are going to make it...bad result....

correct me if'm I'm wrong....

Last edited:

Newbienissan

Banned
Jul 19, 2010
earth
yeap, you're right. to have this mod, you MUST use a piggyback at least, to correct the air volumetric going in. otherwise, idling is impossible n engine wont run normal.

oinkoink

Known Member
Aug 9, 2008
Singapore
let me share my exp on custom manifold... i am currently a over size manifold and throttle body.. instead of getting improve my car was very lag... at least 20 to 30 whp lost after fitting in the manifold.... on my stock intake i can go above 200km/hr after fitting it i can't even hit 170km/hr.. this different will tell you how much power i had lost after install it.

for my research from the web and read up.. the runner lenght is to shift your power band in other word shifting your peak troq. the lower rpm you wan your troq to come in the less power you will have on high rpm. the diameter of your runner will decide you have more power in high or low RPM. as for the plenum it shuold be about 80% to 150% of your engine displacement, depend on your application. anything more then that you suffer a lost in power thru out the RPM.

try read up the link http://www.custom-car.us/intake/intake-manifold.aspx

FYI my intake manifold was build by some so call intake manifold expert in sunway.... is my own mistake that i did not do a proper research before doing it..... an expensive lesson learn...

Newbienissan

Banned
Jul 19, 2010
earth
im sorry to hear what you been thru, but perhaps the custom intake manifold specs did not suit your engine ? anyway mind to share your car is NA setup or turbo ?

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
oink, i think is the wrongly made CIM that causes your power lost if you have the supporting mods thrown into the engine. You are not running back the stock IM or a new remake CIM?

1 thing still not clear with my own trial and error is....I use longer intake runner and my engine was not performing well at high RPM (after 6700RPM) and with a shorter one the engine shows no sign of breathing difficulties at higher RPM even after 8000RPM. I maintain the runner diameter just change the length and the plenum remains the same. Maybe other things I didn't take into account on this....

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Has anyone use this before? It cleans tar, bugs, and tree sap. Suppose to be outstanding...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience