temperature High at night

pc_teh

Known Member
Jun 18, 2008
Currently my EJ8 is having a temperature issue at night. Every time I start my engine at night normally after work and caught in a jam then my temperature will be higher then normal. I actually can see the needle rising when my car is stationing.

The weird thing is I m not having this problem during day time no matter how worse the traffic is.

One thing I do realize is if i switch off my lights the temperature needle will drop immediately. Switch on my light again i can see the needle like jump a bit and slowly is rise again.

Hope that the sifus here can help thx.

aalto

Known Member
Dec 31, 2004
your light wiring is screwing with the fan switch....check wiring

pc_teh

Known Member
Jun 18, 2008
Which mean I m having a misleading temperature meter or in fact my engine temperature is high?

aalto

Known Member
Dec 31, 2004
Your engine temp. is probably high......try testing it out, start your engine and let it heat up until the fan switches on, then turn the lights on and see if the fan is still running...try revving it a bit

crower75

5,000 RPM
Mar 15, 2004
TeAM C.R.D
Visit site
Which mean I m having a misleading temperature meter or in fact my engine temperature is high?
At nite, while your engine is on, switch on your headlights and check whether your radiator fan switches on normally or not. It could be something to do with the headlights wiring screwing with the fan sensor since your problem only occurs at nite rite ?

Had a fren with this problem a few years back, he just added Pivot ( i think) grounding wire and problem solved.

Last edited:

pc_teh

Known Member
Jun 18, 2008
Your engine temp. is probably high......try testing it out, start your engine and let it heat up until the fan switches on, then turn the lights on and see if the fan is still running...try revving it a bit
Yes. I did try to rev my car when i see the temperature rising and almost immediately the temperature drop to normal level. Stop the revving it will slowly climb again.

But it will not always stayed high give it sometimes it will still drop to normal level.

Bump:
At nite, while your engine is on, switch on your headlights and check whether your radiator fan switches on normally or not. It could be something to do with the headlights wiring screwing with the fan sensor since your problem only occurs at nite rite ?

Had a fren with problem a few years back, he just added Pivot ( i think) grounding wire and problem solved.
Yes. Only at night.
i just do a testing this morning. I switch on my light even its day time. I did see the temperature needle acting funny.

How much will it cost me to get a grounding wire?! Is there other alternative like change some wire?!

awalwah

Jan 24, 2009
Hi Bro.
Same thing happended to me with my kancil convert to L2S. I noticed when i drove around jammed traffic in the town the temp neddle went high. I even stop and check water collant see if got boilling or not. If it true with that hi temp sure my car will stahl. Then i got to know, in jammed situation i used brake a lot and sometime prolong, my foot on brake paddle and brake light on, to lazy to put to D and pull hand brake. To cut short the story, my mechanic suggest to install ground cable. Can be purchase at any acc. shop. Mine with 5 cables, 2 hook up to body, cylinder head, alternator and distributer. since then my problem solve. Lucky i didnt send to re wiring and do something not neccessary.

To relate your case, it happent during night. Your case when you on the lights and mine when brake light prolong "ON". Alternator have to work hard to supply the output power the battery used. I suggest you to installed ground cable first. Cost around RM70 - RM90. If you got extra money, look for "pivot" stabiliser cost RM200 plus:)

pc_teh

Known Member
Jun 18, 2008
Latest update .....

My mechanic found out that there is no thermostat in my car. So he fit one for me .....
He also changed the fan switch and so far everything works fine .....

But seriously I still wondering how come this does not happened at daytime .....

Hope the problem is solved.

Thx for all your comments and Gong Hi Fa Chai .....

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Today, we would like to share with you this very special detailing session we did for this Perodua Kenari. We want to show you that it doesn't matter what you drive, how expensive is the car, how high end is the car, at the end of the day, protection is a must and when there is less to no protection over the past 10 years, this is what you get...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience