exhaust suggestions for R34 GTT auto?

joethurr

500 RPM
Sep 11, 2007
enytsw: bassy sound?.. I am currently using Blitz NUR Spec, and it is damn bassy. It's not the loud noisy type, It's actually a very bassy setup.. nice sound. If you are driving an auto, yes the midbox is advisable.

airtreknic: unless you get a whole kit, when u upgrade the turbo. most probably u will have to get a new housing custom made... plenty of places that do the custom piping.

airtreknic

Known Member
Feb 26, 2007
ok thanks alot for the info, will do it once my car is out from the workshop.

[PIMPIN]

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
enytsw,

I think for you the best would be to get something like our friend's HKS Silent Hi-Power cause you bought an auto cause you value comfort, etc with a little oommph and I've heard GTRs with 2530s and Silent Hi-Power exhaust and normal driving its really very nice, not at all intrusive.

Do the full exhaust while you're at it, cause a catback will disappoint unless its a huge, loud one. Keep the cat, not for your neighbours but for you - the drone that auto cars with modified exhausts can be irritating after awhile but you want full turbo back exhaust with mild boost so you pull away better from standstills, etc.

I'm just speaking from experience, had an auto Cefiro back in the day with RB20, HKS2510, GTR injectors, remap ECU and hi-stall set at 2500rpm (basically car moves only when revs hit 2500rpm - fkd up fuel consumption) but suprised quite a few cars off the line. Sound wise was irritating INSIDE the car - fk the neighbours, your comfort matters.. Hahah

Right now I run probably the loudest Jap exhaust available - excluding the 4" custom straight pipe - the Trust PET-IR. Not for the fainthearted - suit antisocial fkrs like me :)

Bump: enytsw,

I think for you the best would be to get something like our friend's HKS Silent Hi-Power cause you bought an auto cause you value comfort, etc with a little oommph and I've heard GTRs with 2530s and Silent Hi-Power exhaust and normal driving its really very nice, not at all intrusive.

Do the full exhaust while you're at it, cause a catback will disappoint unless its a huge, loud one. Keep the cat, not for your neighbours but for you - the drone that auto cars with modified exhausts can be irritating after awhile but you want full turbo back exhaust with mild boost so you pull away better from standstills, etc.

I'm just speaking from experience, had an auto Cefiro back in the day with RB20, HKS2510, GTR injectors, remap ECU and hi-stall set at 2500rpm (basically car moves only when revs hit 2500rpm - fkd up fuel consumption) but suprised quite a few cars off the line. Sound wise was irritating INSIDE the car - fk the neighbours, your comfort matters.. Hahah

Right now I run probably the loudest Jap exhaust available - excluding the 4" custom straight pipe - the Trust PET-IR. Not for the fainthearted - suit antisocial fkrs like me :)

farizio

Known Member
Nov 26, 2007
KL
farizio i think it's gonna sound worst then a track car........:biggrin:
it doesnt sound so bad if you are below 5000 RPM :biggrin:

im running this setup.... listen to it inside a tunnel at full throttle muahahaha

kugas

Oct 31, 2008
I think exhaust modification must be balance with the air inlet (reducing DP for the inlet filter or increase the turbine suction pipe to prevent turbine loss suction):idea: Can you guys give me where i can go to service my car.....with a reasonable prize..:biggrin:

airtreknic

Known Member
Feb 26, 2007
Guys found this went i was goggling around the net but not sure does it help........:driver:

ENGINE TUNING STAGE 1 FOR ER34 GTT

Exhaust (around 160rwkw)
The RB25DET NEO is a sweet sounding engine but very quiet in standard form and as with most factory turbo cars the exhaust causes a huge restriction. A good free flowing exhaust will have the RB sounding great, turbo lag will be reduced, and power gained throughout the rev range. The new exhaust should start from the turbo with a dump pipe either a 3" open bell mouth or better still a split dump to separate the gases from the turbine and wastegate. From here a high quality 3" high flow cat should be used, then 3" all the way to the back of the car with high flow mufflers.

Intake (160 to 170rwkw)Now we have the exhaust side of the engine breathing the next step is to get more air into the engine. Either use a high performance air filter, or replace the air box with a POD style air filter. If you choose to go the POD filter route I recommend you fabricate some type of shield to keep hot air from the engine bay away from your intake. A cold air intake to the filter from the front of your Skyline will also give you a performance advantage. 5-10 rwkw is achievable with this mod.

Boost increase (175 to 185rwkw)In standard form the R34 runs a two stage boost control system 5psi to 4500 rpm then 7psi to red line 7000 rpm. As mentioned before the turbo’s exhaust wheel is ceramic and they tend to fail if to much heat is generated. The amount of boost you can run with the stock turbo is debatable but I don’t recommend running more than 10 psi. You have a few options when choosing to increase the boost either a manual boost controller, electronic boost controller, or a new wastegate actuator.

A manual controller is very basic in its operation it bleeds off air causing the wastegate actuator to open later. The amount of boost run depends on the amount of air bled form the system. It is critical to install an after market boost gauge before carrying out this modification as the stock gauge is not accurate enough and is measured in mmg not psi or bar. Manual boost controllers are cheep and easy to install but they do have there disadvantages some can cause boost spikes and boost creep I have also found boost tends to tail off high in the rev range.

Electronic boost controllers on the other hand use stepper motors and monitor boost about every 10th of a second because of this boost spikes and boost creep are kept to a minimum, and the desired boost level is held to redline. Electronic boost controllers are expensive and for this level of modification a manual controller will probably be good enough.

A 3rd option is to install a different wastgate actuator and the good news is the R32GTST item is exactly the same as the R34 except the spring inside is set for 10psi. R32 actuators can be hard to find but I think it’s the best option for this level of modification as boost spikes and boost creep are eliminated.

No mater which system you choose the 2 stage boost control system should be disconnected. After this mod is carried out many people notice flat spots throughout the rev range this is due to the ECU seeing an increase in airflow and as a safety precaution it richens the air fuel mixtures. Many people find re-gaping the spark plugs from 1.1mm to 0.8mm fixes this problem but if it does not you need to consider the next upgrade.

ECU (185 to 200+rwkw)As mentioned before many people have problems with flat spots and rich air fuel ratios. Even if you don’t have these dreaded flat spots an aftermarket ECU will give good power gains and improve drivability. One popular option is the Apexi SAFC (Super air flow computer). The SAFC is a piggy back to the ECU and works by tricking the ECU into thinking your engine is getting more or less air than your engine actually is. Tuning should be done be a professional on a dyno this modification should fix those dreaded flat spots by leaning you airfuel ratio's at different RPM points.
A better but more expensive option is the Apexi Power FC which replaces the standard ECU. Many people choose the Power FC as its less expensive than other aftermarket ECU's, and it plugs straight into you old loom so there is no need to cut any wires. All parameters of your car can be tuned with a Power FC but once again it should be dyno tuned by a professional. Please note the power FC cannot be used an automatic transmission.

Clutch and Fuel Pump At this level of modification it’s likely that your clutch and or fuel pump will need upgrading to handing the extra power.

Conclusion
This completes stage 1 engine tuning for the Nissan Skyline R34 GTT. Basically at this stage we are at the limits of the standard turbo and fuel systems but in terms of car modification this level of tuning offers great value for money. Many people with these modifications along with well sorted suspension and tyre packages have 12 run second quarter mile passes.

Engine Tuning Stage 2
Stage 2 of tuning is where things start to get expensive as we need to upgrade many of the standard systems. Nissan Skyline RB engines are known for the strength the RB25 is no exception with regular maintenance and a safe tune 270rwkw is easily possible. Some people push the limits with 300rwkw+ but if you want an engine that will last 270rwkw is a safer limit.

Turbo Selection
There are many good turbo options available but I recommend a turbo that will bolt onto standard manifold this will save time and money in the long run. Many people in Australia have had there standard Nissan Skyline turbo high-flowed by GCG turbo’s these turbos are popular because they use a ball bearing cartridge, and everything bolts back into place. Turbo response is said to be similar to stock and power figures average around 230rwkw or up to 250rwkw with cams. Some people have used larger exhaust housings from the R34 GTT or the old single turbo 300zx and have achieved 270rwkw+.
HKS in Japan have a range of turbo's for the R33 that come with all the parts needed to bolt on. Suitable kits available from HKS at the moment include the HKS GT-RS known to make 280rwkw and the HKS PRO-S known to make around 300rwkw the GTRS is cheaper and a little more responsive than the PRO-S. Another popular choice since superseded by newer models was the 2535 which is similar to the GT-RS.

Intercooler Upgrade
The standard R34 Nissan Skyline intercooler runs out of its efficiency range at power levels above 200rwkw and needs to be replaced by a larger front mounted intercooler. GTR intercoolers are a popular choice but custom piping will be needed in order for it to fit. Many aftermarket bolt on kits are available for the GTT these days starting at around AU$500 but as with most things you get what you pay for. Be aware a small decrease in throttle response may be noticeable due to the extra piping and larger core size. You may notice a small increase in power with this mod before upgrading your turbo as airflow will increase and the air will be denser.

Fuel system
If you haven’t done so already the fuel pump will need to be upgraded. Second hand GTR pumps are a popular option as are new pumps from bosch, walbro, and tomei. The GTR and Tomei pumps are a direct fit. You may also install a fuel pressure regulator to increase fuel pressure.

Standard injectors will also need to be upgraded at this stage. You can either have your standard injectors high-flowed, or buy after market ones from Nismo or Performance company's. I recommend you use injectors that are a direct replacement and don’t require any modifications s to fit.
Airflow meter
To improve the tunability of the engine its a good idea to upgrade your airflow meter this allows for finer tuning which will result in smoother power delivery and make it easier for the tuner to produce a higher peak power output . Popular upgrade choices include the Z32 and the Q45. The Z32 is cheaper of the 2 but the but the Q45 will allow more airflow. http://nissanskyline.6te.net/AFM.htm

ECU
If you have not done so already the ECU will need to be upgraded even with a SAFC or similar the stock ECU will not do the job. As stated before the Power FC is a popular option due to its price, ease of installation, and use. There are plenty of other options that are superior to the Power FC and allow many other tuning functions like launch control, and the ability to use a map sensor instead of the airflow meter. But the FC is still a popular and is proven to perform.

Head Gasket
Running boost levels above 1.2 may require a new metal head gasket to lower compression and improve reliability. Opinions differ on this subject so I think its best to ask you tuner.

Clutch and flywheel
The stock clutch will certainly fail quickly at this power level the hardest part is finding a clutch that will handle the power yet not make your car a pig to drive. Exeedy seem to be popular and reliable choice and while you are upgrading your clutch a lightened flywheel is well worth considering. This will help the car rev quicker but the trade off is your car will loose momentum quicker to.

Cams or Cam gears
At this stage the skyline will benefit from a set new cams, cam gears, or both. The outright power will be increased but the main reason for installing cams is for a fatter torque and power curve. Upgraded cams can help reduce lag, improve mid and top end power. Popular choice is tomei pon cams as they fit without modification and are proven to give good results.

Please use this as a guide only recommend consulting a professonal before carrying out any of these modifications. Nissanskyline.6te.net takes no responsiblity for any problems you may encounter from following this guide.

Last edited:
S

semperfi

Enytsw, after i have change the HKS exhaust feel better flow and smother ride during top end.

V-Spec, ok now i know where is the cat and i've decided to remove it.

Guy's, where can i get the downpipe and turbo outlet for my GTT stock turbo?? And just say if i decide to upgrade the turbo can the turbo outlet be reuse or i have to change ???
you don't have to remove it though, you can simply punch a hole thru it. That's what the Japs did to my cat. Same thing unless you wanna do an extra piping and spend more money.

kugas

Oct 31, 2008
Hi...3" will be good enough. A split dump ( by passing turbine ) some sort increasing the scfm output for the turbine thus can reduce the turbo lag ( more flow > more cool air > high volume > more power> more fuel ....more ...more ). But remember, each turbine has their limit ( normally can be measure based on turbine outlet size or manufacturer information ) most of the design has 30% buffer that’s mean can go up to 130% usage if you dare....it also can break the mechanical seal (reduce the seal oil temp might be help to protect the mechanical seal ) or turbine too...just play safe la...3" wont harm your turbine...adios Oo__oO:driver:

[PIMPIN]

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
I think exhaust modification must be balance with the air inlet (reducing DP for the inlet filter or increase the turbine suction pipe to prevent turbine loss suction):idea: Can you guys give me where i can go to service my car.....with a reasonable prize..:biggrin:
Hey Bro,

Don't quite understand what you mean by the above? Also, you can service your car at pretty much any performance workshop if your car is relatively stock. Or if you're adventurous, give it a go at home. I used to service my R33 at home during student days cause no money so minor service was just Mobil 1, NGK plugs - BCPR6ES (IIRC) which have 0.8 gap off the shelf and oil filter was z145a. Then top-up/check fluids and pretty much ran OK until it came for major service.

Hi...3" will be good enough. A split dump ( by passing turbine ) some sort increasing the scfm output for the turbine thus can reduce the turbo lag ( more flow > more cool air > high volume > more power> more fuel ....more ...more ). But remember, each turbine has their limit ( normally can be measure based on turbine outlet size or manufacturer information ) most of the design has 30% buffer that’s mean can go up to 130% usage if you dare....it also can break the mechanical seal (reduce the seal oil temp might be help to protect the mechanical seal ) or turbine too...just play safe la...3" wont harm your turbine...adios Oo__oO:driver:
Sorry if I seem to be picking on you but again, I don't get your explanation. How does a split dump create more cool air and subsequently high volume (?) and power? Whatever cool air created is when the air flows from the intercooler through to the intake manifold and a split dump while beneficial, is not the holy grail of exhaust upgrading.

As for the 30% buffer, could you give an example? Let's say a stock turbo from an RB25DET, ceramic wheel comes standard with 7psi and with exhaust and intake could spike to as high as 10psi even without a boost controller. So you're saying that there is another 30% of safe boost which puts it at 13psi or just under 1 bar. That turbo will not last very long I can assure you. Forgive me if I've misunderstood your true meaning. Anyways, shouldn't the amount of extra boost a turbo can take should also depend on what the compressor wheel is made of, plain or ball bearing, even faulty actuators. But I guess maintenance and supply of oil to the turbo are also key factors.

Having gone on for too long, if I were looking for an exhaust for my 34GTT and unsure of what to get - best bet is to buy a catback with removable silencer and pair that with an aftermarket air filter. See how you like it, then progress in stages - there is no rush in modifying right? :driver:

airtreknic

Known Member
Feb 26, 2007
Semperfi, how big was the hole that the jap's punch to your cat???? If it really works then can save some the dough and go get some other parts. Do you have any pic of your cat that was punch with a hole??? And what if we go through a puddle of water and it starts sipping into the hole will it affect anything???

kaminari

1,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
Taiping
airtreknic they used drill 10-15mm diameter (6-7holes)to punch through.This is the cheap way instead buy a performance cat here coz straight pipe is illegal here. The water will not sip in if properly installed wth gasket.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Is there any modification interms of interior , exterior and engine modification? Is there any available engine that could fit in the accent engine bay?

WHat is the recommended modification that could improved the performance of the car?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience