Cheap tyre

jebatdex

Known Member
Jun 19, 2011
Skudai, Johor
And did your FC improved after the exhaust system upgrade?

If I'm not mistaken, yours is a Satria 1.6 isn't it? If so, yours already came equipped with front and rear anti roll bar. Or do you mean the strut bar?

Speaking of tyres in relation to this thread, I'm planning to change to a set of Michelin XM2 tyres for my Wira soon. Same size as yours, 185/60/R14. How does your set of Michelin fare for your usage throughout these few years? Grip, road noise, comfort?
I don't know about the FC, because that time I have problem with my throttle body. The socket of previous TB was broken, so my father changed to cheap new TB. After few years of me using it, jerking happened and one of the suspects is the exhaust is already blocked and cause the jerking. so, I changed the whole exhaust system and problem not solved! lastly, i bought a new good quality TB and settled.

yes, mine is 1.6. oh yes, what i meant is strut bar... anti roll bar is below the car right? what i meant is the one we install inside the engine bay and in the rear boot.

im satisfied with XM2, using it for 6 years from 2013. if I still travelling long distance using this satria, probably will go for another set of XM2, but now only for work, so I chose Hankook. XM2 is a good tyre if you ask me.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
IMHO XM2 is overrated and overpriced. For this type of low end category tires, just buy some Dunlop etc2 which are much cheaper.

jebatdex

Known Member
Jun 19, 2011
Skudai, Johor
IMHO XM2 is overrated and overpriced. For this type of low end category tires, just buy some Dunlop etc2 which are much cheaper.
Yes, you might be true too.
Taking my satria tyre size, Hankook Kinergy is RM120/pc vs XM2 RM160/pc, only RM40 different. Lets say you use the set for 4 years, so the difference between using Hankook and Michelin is only RM10/year/pc so it is RM40/year for the car. As mentioned earlier, if I still using this car for long distance, I will definitely go for Michelin, I think it is worth it in terms of driving the car with your family and knowing your car is on Michelin rather than Hankook. And RM40 for 1 year is like nothing, especially is for safety. Im not saying Hankook tyre is not safe, but I guess everybody get what I meant. Thats my view... everybody has different views and mostly, different budgets.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
old proton models like wira satria really can last long if properly maintained. the FC also not so bad, especially if kept stock. I havent touch a thing on my satria, just replace when failed/broken due to wear n tear. top overhaul done once i think in 2010.
Would have kept my wira if not for the rusty roof.......lol

jebatdex

Known Member
Jun 19, 2011
Skudai, Johor
my satria is also rusty very bad now. just a matter of time I need to do something about it, thinking to install sunroof. i will snap some photos to show how bad it is... huhu... another RM1k melayang

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Taking my satria tyre size, Hankook Kinergy is RM120/pc vs XM2 RM160/pc, only RM40 different. Lets say you use the set for 4 years, so the difference between using Hankook and Michelin is only RM10/year/pc so it is RM40/year for the car. As mentioned earlier, if I still using this car for long distance, I will definitely go for Michelin, I think it is worth it in terms of driving the car with your family and knowing your car is on Michelin rather than Hankook. And RM40 for 1 year is like nothing, especially is for safety. Im not saying Hankook tyre is not safe, but I guess everybody get what I meant. Thats my view... everybody has different views and mostly, different budgets.
Well with rm40/pc difference, it's like buying 4 xm2 for the price of 5 for the cheaper option. If that difference is for big UHP 18' tires then can close eye.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
I don't know about the FC, because that time I have problem with my throttle body. The socket of previous TB was broken, so my father changed to cheap new TB. After few years of me using it, jerking happened and one of the suspects is the exhaust is already blocked and cause the jerking. so, I changed the whole exhaust system and problem not solved! lastly, i bought a new good quality TB and settled.

yes, mine is 1.6. oh yes, what i meant is strut bar... anti roll bar is below the car right? what i meant is the one we install inside the engine bay and in the rear boot.

im satisfied with XM2, using it for 6 years from 2013. if I still travelling long distance using this satria, probably will go for another set of XM2, but now only for work, so I chose Hankook. XM2 is a good tyre if you ask me.
Throttle body problem seems to be another common issue in these old Mitsubishi EFI engines. Same thing for 4G1 engines also. Some will recommend to change the gear set found in the stepper motor though.

Yes, the anti roll bar is the one below that looks like a thin metal bar with several bends and they are tied to the lower arm and in some cases, the absorber itself. The one that you mention is the strut bar where it is tied to the suspension mounting / strut area, hence the name strut bar.

Another set of XM2 for you might be few years later. Hopefully Michelin would have upgraded it into a better version like maybe a XM3 for example.

Currently using low end tyres and I thought of changing to XM2 to see what the benefit gains are. Several local people recommended me to take XM2 as that is the best that I can go for this kind of size.

The common weakness for Wira and also that generation of Lancer.

my satria is also rusty very bad now. just a matter of time I need to do something about it, thinking to install sunroof. i will snap some photos to show how bad it is... huhu... another RM1k melayang
I grinded mine during 2015 and no rust came back. Though I recently repainted the roof because the putty used back then was not that good and it caused the paint to crack.

minibeany

500 RPM
Apr 30, 2017
Petaling Jaya
Indeed they can last very long with good FC and power too if they are properly maintained. My Wira 1.5 isn't exactly stock since its early days where my father changed the original 13 inch wheels for a set of 14 inch wheels right after purchasing the car. He also added on a front strut bar and a rear subframe brace back then.

In my hands, I've done a few modifications to it and they did not affect my reliability and FC at all. In fact, I think the FC even improved. I changed my extractor to a 4-2-1 setup, replaced the whole exhaust piping with a 1.7 inch diameter piping with a centre bullet/resonator and lastly the muffler was changed to a twin tip muffler taken out from @parakey's own C99 Wira 1.8. 2 months ago, I did a refreshment on the suspension system by changing a few arms on the rear side, a full set of brand new spring + absorber from Wira 1.6/1.8 and a rear anti roll bar taken from a Wira 1.6 halfcut. My ride height increased but comfort, handling and stability improved significantly.

For my engine, it was clocked at 224k km mileage now and it hasn't undergone any overhaul yet. So far so good.
Changing the exhaust give better performance and FC? I'm looking a twin tip too

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Currently using low end tyres and I thought of changing to XM2 to see what the benefit gains are. Several local people recommended me to take XM2 as that is the best that I can go for this kind of size.

The common weakness for Wira and also that generation of Lancer.

I grinded mine during 2015 and no rust came back. Though I recently repainted the roof because the putty used back then was not that good and it caused the paint to crack.
XM2 should give your slightly better durability. But it cost more and if you do not use them by 5 years, they too will crack like other tyres. I rather use cheaper tyres than change earlier therefore getting new tyres rather than still running on old worn tyres......lol

The putty cracking can be due to rust internally pushing the putty from inside. Mine was done up also by a friend. He grind from the top and even remove the roof cloth and grind from underneath, painted with anti rust before putty and respray and yet after 6 months it pop out again....:dontknow:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I had the Kinergy on my Innova and my god it was alarmingly scary to drive. I was in Singapore driving along their super restrictive highway roads at whatever the speed limit was (which was 80kmh) and it started raining. I slowed to to 60-70kmh as I had family in the car, in a slow gradual long sweeping corner I didn't lift and just trundled along at the slow speed in the middle lane when the whole car suddenly whipped left then wobbled right (this was a right turn sweeping bend) and frightened the crap out of me and even my passengers. It wasn't a violent whip but it felt like I had suddenly lost control and was about to go into a power slide. I lifted off and it instantly corrected itself. I felt the same wobble whip feel throughout the time I was in SGP.

After that I checked the tyre pressure and jacked it up to 250kpa per tyre (hot) and it seemed to reduce the weird sensation a bit. After I got back to KL I tried it alone myself and it felt like the sidewalls were flexing really hard and basically I had to take corners much much slower. Even in the dry it was like that - no loss of traction just a weird wobble and whip back sensation in a corner even at slow speeds. Only temp fix was to jack up the tyre pressure to excessive levels. After changing to another brand of tyre the weird issue dissapeared.

Conclusion is Kinergy is not a friendly to corner tyre. It's designed for old-people speeds driving along at max 60kmh and cornering whilst hogging the fast lane at 50kmh.

I'm guessing you're using stock profile tyres so it'll be pretty high sidewalls. Your car will not be as heavy as the Innova but be prepared for that really scary (at first) wobble feel when you throw yourself into a corner.

Reactions: minibeany and 6UE5t

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Maybe for larger heavier cars it don't work that well. Anyway told him if just to and from market not a problem, but fit eco and treat like UHP then asking for trouble......hhahahhahahahha

Reactions: minibeany and Izso

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Changing the exhaust give better performance and FC? I'm looking a twin tip too
Performance gain is almost for sure but for FC, quite subjective. What I can say for my case is, I did not notice any increase in FC at all and it seems that I can somehow extract a few more km from each full tank. For my car, my low end torque improved a lot so if I want to drive it economically, it is easier to do so after the exhaust mod as I can keep the car going even at below 1500 rpm.

But do take note of what exhaust setup that you're going to do. If the setup is wrong, FC might not even improve at all.

XM2 should give your slightly better durability. But it cost more and if you do not use them by 5 years, they too will crack like other tyres. I rather use cheaper tyres than change earlier therefore getting new tyres rather than still running on old worn tyres......lol

The putty cracking can be due to rust internally pushing the putty from inside. Mine was done up also by a friend. He grind from the top and even remove the roof cloth and grind from underneath, painted with anti rust before putty and respray and yet after 6 months it pop out again....:dontknow:
Normally regardless of what tyres, 5 years is usually the limit isn't it? Best not to push it longer than that as the rubber compound will harden.

Well, they removed the cracked putty away and I saw the bare metal area inside where it was grinded and welded before previously. No rust at all. Likely putty issue in this case.

Reactions: minibeany

jebatdex

Known Member
Jun 19, 2011
Skudai, Johor
I had the Kinergy on my Innova and my god it was alarmingly scary to drive. I was in Singapore driving along their super restrictive highway roads at whatever the speed limit was (which was 80kmh) and it started raining. I slowed to to 60-70kmh as I had family in the car, in a slow gradual long sweeping corner I didn't lift and just trundled along at the slow speed in the middle lane when the whole car suddenly whipped left then wobbled right (this was a right turn sweeping bend) and frightened the crap out of me and even my passengers. It wasn't a violent whip but it felt like I had suddenly lost control and was about to go into a power slide. I lifted off and it instantly corrected itself. I felt the same wobble whip feel throughout the time I was in SGP.

After that I checked the tyre pressure and jacked it up to 250kpa per tyre (hot) and it seemed to reduce the weird sensation a bit. After I got back to KL I tried it alone myself and it felt like the sidewalls were flexing really hard and basically I had to take corners much much slower. Even in the dry it was like that - no loss of traction just a weird wobble and whip back sensation in a corner even at slow speeds. Only temp fix was to jack up the tyre pressure to excessive levels. After changing to another brand of tyre the weird issue dissapeared.

Conclusion is Kinergy is not a friendly to corner tyre. It's designed for old-people speeds driving along at max 60kmh and cornering whilst hogging the fast lane at 50kmh.

I'm guessing you're using stock profile tyres so it'll be pretty high sidewalls. Your car will not be as heavy as the Innova but be prepared for that really scary (at first) wobble feel when you throw yourself into a corner.
omg :emoji_disappointed:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Dear Focal Point,

Good day to you!

I had just recently overhaul my 15 years car's engine (top overhaul and change piston ring) after travelling for 530,000km in my proton wira. The engine cylinder still in good shape since i have been using tufoil for many years. Thanks to tufoil to surprise my forman on such a little wear on my engine block and bearings after such millage. I change piston ring and valve seal just to reduce the engine oil consumption problem, before it was 500ml every...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience