Cheap cars to buy in Malaysia but fast!

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Not so sure CF parts applies to every car or not. I've read before a post from Izso saying that cars like Evo with lightweight aluminum hood doesn't really require a CF hood as they weight almost the same. True?
Dry carbon about the same or maybe slightly heavier than Evo Alu hood I think. But I'm 100% sure the wet carbon is heavier than the Alu hood.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Dry carbon about the same or maybe slightly heavier than Evo Alu hood I think. But I'm 100% sure the wet carbon is heavier than the Alu hood.
This means Evo don't really require those carbon hood but some of these hoods might provide better engine cooling as there are more vents than stock ones.

WRX STI might need carbon hood as I have not heard before about their stock hood being aluminum.

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
For standard everyday car hood which is made of steel (say Volvo 240's hood that weight a ton), weight will substantially reduced using CF. Oso depends on content of CF in the hood. Some CF hood has fibreglass layer, on top the CF.

For EVO oredi with standard aluminum hood, the CF hood will probably give pretty marginal reduction of weight. Maybe will perform better in heat dissipation due to more and bigger vents.

AlucarD

1,000 RPM
Jan 15, 2004
Always buy from a good CF part producer. The China made ones are not going to be lighter than your OEM bonnet but the Japanese ones are good and there some weight savings. Hence the price difference.

More than 3kg of weight savings for the Varis Cooling bonnet as compared to the OEM. Refer to here :- http://varis.co.jp/varis/products/mitsubishi/88mr/cooling.html. In racing 3.5Kg is a lot of weight.

Normal 9.7kg → Carbon 6.2kg

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
If just street car, no need CF. Evo in stock form is already very fast, more than enough. Unless you want to go for time attack, then that's different case and replace most of body parts with CF not just the engine hood.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
If just street car, no need CF. Evo in stock form is already very fast, more than enough. Unless you want to go for time attack, then that's different case and replace most of body parts with CF not just the engine hood.
My daily drive VR weight down with plenty of things in the boot. Tool box, jack, spare brake fluid, bulbs, water even.....:biggrin:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Always buy from a good CF part producer. The China made ones are not going to be lighter than your OEM bonnet but the Japanese ones are good and there some weight savings. Hence the price difference.

More than 3kg of weight savings for the Varis Cooling bonnet as compared to the OEM. Refer to here :- http://varis.co.jp/varis/products/mitsubishi/88mr/cooling.html. In racing 3.5Kg is a lot of weight.

Normal 9.7kg → Carbon 6.2kg
Old timer sifu finally come in to post. :adore:

If it is about racing, then 3.5kg is a lot as every kg shaved off counts. But as for road use, it doesn't really give that much of an importance considering the price you need to pay for a Japanese made CF hood like those from Varis, Voltex. I assume should be around RM5k and above? From what I know, Taiwan made ones are around RM2k plus. But if one goes for the Japanese CF hood for aesthetics, cooling, quality and bragging rights, then I guess one can go ahead with that.....

Removing the spare tyre will save you more weight than changing to CF. :rofl: Or perhaps a CF fender will save more weight as the original fenders are not aluminum?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Or perhaps a CF fender will save more weight as the original fenders are not aluminum?
CF Fender may not be much help in terms of weight. Even wira fenders are ridiculously light. I'm sure Evo ones are just as light so probably not much weight savings.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
CF Fender may not be much help in terms of weight. Even wira fenders are ridiculously light. I'm sure Evo ones are just as light so probably not much weight savings.
Wira fenders change to Taiwan parts, thin, flimsy and light......hhahahhahahah:biggrin:

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
if want light, remove bonnet entirely (can also show bling-bling engine parts). Donno about aero effect though......but surely engine runs cooler. hahahahah

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Wira fenders change to Taiwan parts, thin, flimsy and light......hhahahhahahah:biggrin:
Saw CF fenders for Wira being sold at mudah for RM900. Thought of getting those one day. But then I remember that might make my car become a thief magnet. :banghead:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
My daily drive VR weight down with plenty of things in the boot. Tool box, jack, spare brake fluid, bulbs, water even.....:biggrin:
I used to do the same when driving my old cars before. Now not anymore, just a basic tool set box, std jack, jumper cable set, some car polish, multi purpose cleaner, some cloths & sponge, some fuse, that's about it.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi,
My friend's KE70 has been stolen last night from USJ1 industrial area
Some details of the car :-
Dark blue colour
Rear passenger's body is dented and has been sprayed black
Car is without muffler
Front spacer is 2" thick and orange in colour. Very obvious.
14" rims
car has Under5ive sticker.
Whoever has seen or has details of the car please contact 012-3739222 (ALAN)
Thank you.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience