cheaper ways to clean your k&n air filter

upontheriversky

Known Member
Dec 31, 2007
hi, recently i sent my brother's car for servicing and my mechanic told me in his opinion, soaking the filter in sabun basuh baju water for 2 hours can thoroughly dissolve debris. after that, let it dry a bit and use atf to grease it. whole thing only cost fraction of buying k&n cleaning kit

just wondering anyone got any comment about this?

Adeen

2,000 RPM
Apr 28, 2006
kl
just buy kw cleaning kit....i think cheaper than k&n cleaning kit...
i bought below rm20 at kedai abang

jimmyae101

1,000 RPM
Dec 7, 2005
medan indonesia
aiyo...just blow it by air blower at any ur friend w/shop....if u havent friend who work in w/shop...try at home open at drop air filter anywhere...hope all dust will out...then fix back ur car lo...cheap way u say..no need use $ ma.:stupid:

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004
using air pressure thingy can cause the filter to tear... only use the blower on stainless steel mesh filter...

my chapalang open pod filter i used to soak it in a pale of soap water for about an hour or 2...every now and then give it a lil shake... then rinse thoroughly, then let it dry and pasang balik... i never even bothered re-oiling. did this for about 2 years....then sold the car :P

upontheriversky

Known Member
Dec 31, 2007
using air pressure thingy can cause the filter to tear... only use the blower on stainless steel mesh filter...

my chapalang open pod filter i used to soak it in a pale of soap water for about an hour or 2...every now and then give it a lil shake... then rinse thoroughly, then let it dry and pasang balik... i never even bothered re-oiling. did this for about 2 years....then sold the car :P
the mech said re-oiling helps to trap fine debris otherwise it can pass thru the filter.makes sense to me but i guess still ok as long no big stone or something like that can pass thru otherwise hailat! haha :D

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004
ur mech is right...thats wat re-oiling is for....

but then the oil will also get sucked in and could possibly dirty ur TB, manifold and other components which the air has to pass through...

BLANk

1,500 RPM
Dec 28, 2007
Sardine
www.zerotohundred.com
ur mech is right...thats wat re-oiling is for....

but then the oil will also get sucked in and could possibly dirty ur TB, manifold and other components which the air has to pass through...
in case if that happen...u had over-oiling it...i had seen many car with over-oiling drop in K&N filter and dripping...the bottom of the air filter housing is full of red color oil...

upontheriversky

Known Member
Dec 31, 2007
yea decent small drips on the filter shouldn do lots of harm i guess as its being absorbed fully by the filter. i can see light passing thru the filter when pointing to the sun indicates hollow spaces

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
I think isn't it much more advisable to use the K&N Washing Kits? Won't it damage the Air Filter after a long run? I mean since it has its own washing kit, I think is best to use it?

amrancharger

500 RPM
Jul 19, 2006
i m wondering...if u can afford K&N...shudnt u be able to buy the cleaning kit also? :hmmmm:

if not...buy those stainless steel air filter...virtually no maintenance involve...plus i tink its cheaper than K&N.

or the redline airfilter...just use soap and water...no need to re-oil.

there are alot of other filter nowadays if K&N is considered too expensive to maintain or buy.

just my 2 cents...doesnt mean to flame anyone...just my opinion.

amrancharger

500 RPM
Jul 19, 2006
coz the filtering ability if i remember correctly...but will not harm the engine la...me tinks... :)
plus no need to maintain.much, much cheaper than K&N rite??

my previous cleaning kit for k&n last me for a couple of years before i need to buy a new one...
maybe i rarely wash my k&n kit.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Nexus Racing took a clear win in the 'Sports Production' class in the 13th edition of the Malaysia Merdeka Endurance Racing (MMER) at Sepang International Circuit (SIC) last year. After 12 hours, the Nexus Racing trio, Fahrizal Hasan, Adrian D'Silva and Daniel Bilksi took a win that looked so easy with their Aston Martin GT4. This is the epic documentary of their tremendous preparation till the raceday, that lead to their glory to the podium the second time in a row...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience