Car for student ?

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search
I think if I'm the father, I'll buy a car for my college children too for their convenience and also safety, not to mention to stress out to them to drive responsibly. Because if u look at public transport nowadays...mostly are foreigners and "ma lat Lou" (I'm sorry I don't know the correct words in English). Moreover if its my daughter who's taking the public transport alone.

9k for a college student is reasonable..IMHO, I don't mind seeing the younger generations having a better life than us because I believe this is why we work so hard, especially parents out there. All we want is a better life for our children, isn't it? Of course, the children should have to work hard to get pampered e.g. Get good results in sch, behave well, etc

Very true, those days I took the bus to school. Nowadays, not due to one being richer, but also due to safety measures that we have own car. That is why my wife's car was not sold off and kept for the kids to learn to drive.....

It was all different then. Having a car is indeed safer and more convenient for girl in the city. I would also do the same for my daughter. The luxury of the past has become a necessity nowadays.

Agree..like mobile phones. Everybody has it now. Not to say that we can't survive without it, but it makes our life easier..

Is truth ,If this is Singapore which have good public transportation I also won't consider buying a car .Malaysia need to improve its public transportation ,or else car is really a necessary item in Malaysia .

Singapore safety is way better than here. Thus taking public transport is also better. So what car have you decided anyway? Trust us, get a reasonable priced 2nd hand car or a cheap new car like viva/saga. Until you are working full time then you'll be thankful not need to pay car loan. Can save for a house.

Very true, those days I took the bus to school. Nowadays, not due to one being richer, but also due to safety measures that we have own car. That is why my wife's car was not sold off and kept for the kids to learn to drive.....

Those days I walked to school..both primary and secondary. My primary school is quite near, around 300-400m from my house. Secondary being almost 1km. I enjoy the morning breeze while walking to school. But if now..even walk alone to buy chicken rice also worry of being robbed.

Cvkit/Supra_Fan/the gang,

Believe it or not, the Kancil isn't as cheap when compared to the Wira when it comes to maintenance. The only thing the Kancil has over the Wira is the lack of things to maintain in comparison. I used to own a Kelisa and I know for a fact it costs way more to maintain. Even a simple job like changing the engine mounts costs 3 times more than the Wira.

Kelisa engine mounts cost more because its a 3-cylinder engine right? engine vibrates more due to uneven number of pistons. well that's what i read somewhere before.

Perodua parts are more expensive, this I know it but never thought of so much more expensive than proton's.

So the verdict is: get a wira :rock:

Kelisa engine mounts cost more because its a 3-cylinder engine right? engine vibrates more due to uneven number of pistons. well that's what i read somewhere before.

You might be right about this. But in my case the reason why it was so expensive was because of the subframe. To access the engine mounts, I have to remove the subframe and that has mounts too which usually need changing together with the engine mounts.

The mounts that I bought was expensive by itself, RM400-ish. The subframe mounts another RM200+

RM600+ just because my damn engine vibrates too much!!!

Ok, perhaps I might have been a little harsh to the TS. Afterall, he's just an enthusiast deep down and chasing him away from the dark side only makes him interested in Barbie dolls. My only advice to the TS is this : Since he hasn't started to make his own 'real' money (part time jobs are not 'real' money), he should focus on getting a good paying job to fund his interest.

All talk and no action makes him a poseur.
All talk and no action because no money makes him a pitiful poseur.
All talk and has action makes him a winner.

So my advice? Car for student - get a Viva (cheapest car in the market ATM) if you don't have rich parents sponsoring you or consider riding a bike instead. Cycle if you want to get fit. If I recall the TS earlier escapade, someone revealed his picture and he was somewhat plump.

Harsh of me? Perhaps. But reality sucks. Get used to it.

Idling vibration is the least of the problem. Mounting usually gets damaged by heat and actually by acceleration and deceleration, that is why the bottom 2 always gets damaged first.

---------- Post added at 07:37 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 07:36 AM ----------

Perodua parts are more expensive, this I know it but never thought of so much more expensive than proton's.

So the verdict is: get a wira :rock:

Yup, more due to price matters.....:banghead:

---------- Post added at 07:38 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 07:37 AM ----------

You might be right about this. But in my case the reason why it was so expensive was because of the subframe. To access the engine mounts, I have to remove the subframe and that has mounts too which usually need changing together with the engine mounts.

The mounts that I bought was expensive by itself, RM400-ish. The subframe mounts another RM200+

Fuyoh! and I thought my Mitsu MMC mounting were expensive.....:driver:

Holy Kancil.... yesterday my mum was considering a Kancil for her daily ride around. I owned a Kancil about 10 years ago and I did remember I paid RM700 for changing timing belt because you gotta take out the whole damn engine just to access to the timing belt. My V6 cost much less!!!

Holy Kancil.... yesterday my mum was considering a Kancil for her daily ride around. I owned a Kancil about 10 years ago and I did remember I paid RM700 for changing timing belt because you gotta take out the whole damn engine just to access to the timing belt. My V6 cost much less!!!

errr. i've just spend rm300 for timing belt + air cond belt + alternator belt and water pump (+labour) for my sis in law's kancil. take out engine only if you wan't to chage oil sump and clutch kit. :confused:

for perdana v6, rm450 for complete belt kits, RM150 for water pump and RM300 for labour alone. :dontknow:

errr. i've just spend rm300 for timing belt + air cond belt + alternator belt and water pump (+labour) for my sis in law's kancil. take out engine only if you wan't to chage oil sump and clutch kit. :confused:

for perdana v6, rm450 for complete belt kits, RM150 for water pump and RM300 for labour alone. :dontknow:

Oh haha, my bad. I check back the bill it was Kancil clutch kit replaced in 2002.
For Perdana V6 timing belt I paid RM485 + labour RM160 = RM645

Yikes! that's alot of money!

---------- Post added at 12:47 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:45 AM ----------

Idling vibration is the least of the problem. Mounting usually gets damaged by heat and actually by acceleration and deceleration, that is why the bottom 2 always gets damaged first.

---------- Post added at 07:37 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 07:36 AM ----------

Actually when the new Mitsu Mirage came out, and i read about its 3-cyl engine, 'eco-friendlier' according to them, but will the mounts cost a bomb too? just wondering.:listen:

Oh haha, my bad. I check back the bill it was Kancil clutch kit replaced in 2002.
For Perdana V6 timing belt I paid RM485 + labour RM160 = RM645

wowww.. your labour charge is quite cheap! where did you get it done?

Wahlau.. that's cheap for a Kancil. The mech that did it for you knows you well?

All depends on life style. My friend's uncle with 4 kids, earning around RM2,500, still renting house, wife not working, but ride motor bike loh....still survive....:adore:
Ya, a lot are doing that, one may be able to survive, but is not a path that one would choose. Life will be meaningless though you have a wife and 4 kids, and knowing limited things that we can
give our kids, it hurts to know the fact that we can't give them better.

But at least he doing something to keep them enough to survive. But nowadays, no girls
would go on such life with us...lots of people are really looking for a better opportunity.

HANSC- Actually why I need a car is because I need it to take me from point A to B faster than walking .That it ,no need walking again (because walking at night is dangerous and also walking under a hot sunny day ).

Arturo- Maybe u are right ,I am too anti malaysia car .haha :D Anyway Thanks for the advise

YYC- ya,Malaysia money is srinking and our salery won't go up .Is really miserable to play car now .
Is the same thing that u buy a BUGGATI and u can't afford to pay the fuel money . Thanks for the advise.

Supra- Maybe I will just get a car which is fuel economical and have 4 door and under 15k or 10k .Because I can drive it daily and also save my money for future .
A 2nd wira or u want hassle free, Viva 660 Manual is the best choice for now.

attachment.php

Cvkit/Supra_Fan/the gang,

Believe it or not, the Kancil isn't as cheap when compared to the Wira when it comes to maintenance. The only thing the Kancil has over the Wira is the lack of things to maintain in comparison. I used to own a Kelisa and I know for a fact it costs way more to maintain. Even a simple job like changing the engine mounts costs 3 times more than the Wira.

Ok, perhaps I might have been a little harsh to the TS. Afterall, he's just an enthusiast deep down and chasing him away from the dark side only makes him interested in Barbie dolls. My only advice to the TS is this : Since he hasn't started to make his own 'real' money (part time jobs are not 'real' money), he should focus on getting a good paying job to fund his interest.

All talk and no action makes him a poseur.
All talk and no action because no money makes him a pitiful poseur.
All talk and has action makes him a winner.

So my advice? Car for student - get a Viva (cheapest car in the market ATM) if you don't have rich parents sponsoring you or consider riding a bike instead. Cycle if you want to get fit. If I recall the TS earlier escapade, someone revealed his picture and he was somewhat plump.

Harsh of me? Perhaps. But reality sucks. Get used to it.

Yes, the only thing that is expensive for Kelisa is the mounting, I was quoted RM650 for Daihatsu Original Mounting, Ori Perodua around RM450 and Just ori normal brand is RM400.

Timing belt wasn't that expensive.

Could be as that car is CBU......
3 cyclinder engine can masuk Kelisa become 1.2cc already :biggrin:

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    103.3 KB · Views: 393
Ya, a lot are doing that, one may be able to survive, but is not a path that one would choose. Life will be meaningless though you have a wife and 4 kids, and knowing limited things that we can
give our kids, it hurts to know the fact that we can't give them better.

But at least he doing something to keep them enough to survive. But nowadays, no girls
would go on such life with us
...lots of people are really looking for a better opportunity.

ha! ha! yah! they check out your 5 C's first......:biggrin:

Wahlau.. that's cheap for a Kancil. The mech that did it for you knows you well?

yup. one of my childhood friend.
but tree under workshop only at my hometown.
the parts cost RM2++.. and the labour cost me just around RM50-60.
his work is quite neat. no messy fingerprints on all over the bonnet,
fender and engine bay like some other workshop did.
but the downside is he only dare to touch basic car.
he didn't even dare to change my PV6 belts. :banghead:

ha! ha! yah! they check out your 5 C's first......:biggrin:

Drive the cheapest range of BMW, they surely stick to you already :rofl: or even
a Polo Tsi or 2012 Bettle. VW ma :rofl:

long story short.. just ask ur parents what car they wanna buy u..

& don't complain :wink:

yup. one of my childhood friend.
but tree under workshop only at my hometown.
the parts cost RM2++.. and the labour cost me just around RM50-60.
his work is quite neat. no messy fingerprints on all over the bonnet,
fender and engine bay like some other workshop did.
but the downside is he only dare to touch basic car.
he didn't even dare to change my PV6 belts. :banghead:

Under the tree, no need pay rent, so cheaper charge....ha! ha!:biggrin:

---------- Post added at 02:26 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:25 PM ----------

Drive the cheapest range of BMW, they surely stick to you already :rofl: or even
a Polo Tsi or 2012 Bettle. VW ma :rofl:

That only the first C, Car. Still will check your Credit Card, Cash (Account), Condo and your Career....:hmmmm::biggrin:

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom