Car for student ?

DarkAccoon

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
Depends on how tolerant you are. My putra was pretty good. Besides the wear and tear, no major issues until some idiot whoop me from the back making me a sandwich damaging my front and back.

anyway
if you are looking for AE101, here is a deal
Toyota Corolla Seg AE101 1.6 (M) Pearl White - Cars for sale Selangor - Mudah.my

Low ball it to probably 15k, then you got another 10k to bring it up to condition. Bring a trusted mechanic with you when viewing the car.

hanracing

Known Member
May 14, 2011
some where
Dark- I live in JB ,JB here got one ae101 want to sale 18k with 20v BT .I am planing to get a ae101 with a BT inside cost about 18k and add more 6k in it .

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Dark-haha sorry for my mistake for manual .

Actually I was thinking of AE101 . Proton gives me a bad image for their cars (no offence ) . How good was putra ?
Proton can get many spare parts and can convert to Wiralution or Wajalution in future....:driver:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Finally I get see the famous or infamous person's thread. I missed your earlier escapades!

Personally I think you're still just bullsh*tting here because as a student how are you going to pay for maintenance, fuel and wear & tear stuff for a 2nd hand car? What's more you're targetting a 10 year old car with a modified engine which btw makes the engine bay difficult to work with.

Let me break it down for you using the cheapest car I know to maintain and keep in M'sia : the Wira. Not Wiralution or WiraMivec or WiraGSR.. stock standard Wira.

1. Engine oil - most car enthusiasts like yourself would go for semi or fully syn oils. RM90
2. Filters - Oil filter, Air Filter, Fuel Filter. RM10, RM15, RM20
3. Other oils - Brake oil (DOT4), Gear oil, Power Steering oil. RM25/btl, RM75, RM30
4. Clutch - RM450 including install
5. Belts - all belts are about RM25 per belt. Timing belt costs RM50 to RM100 including install
6. Brake pads - cheapass ones cost RM40 a pair for the front. Rear is about RM35.
7. Driveshafts - RM150 give or take including install per side
8. Tyres - RM160 a piece cheapass tyres
9. Engine mounts - RM240 all 4.
10. Oil seals - RM15 a piece. There's about 4 I know of, 2 of which I know you have to drop the gearbox.
11. Oil pump and water pump - I can't remember how much these costs.

What else did I miss? All the prices I quoted are DIY prices except for those that I mentioned including install, since your car will be a 2nd hand one and you don't really know the condition of the car, and yes - I'm anal about the maintenance. You probably won't need to change all the things above but sooner or later you will. So that's a total of RM1680 for M'sias cheapest car excluding labour (for most things).

So I hope you're going to learn how to DIY all of these things and also hope you have a good investment consultant, because if I recall my school days the only financial income I had was allowance and mine was about RM250 a month.

So to save up to buy a RM20,000 car, that's about 7 years, or if you can find a job after SPM and earn about RM800 as a promoter that's 2 years, or have a sugar mommy (assuming you are a dude).

And that's for the cheapest car I can think of. A much older modified AE101 will cost way more than this to maintain. Not to mention the fuel requirements for the beloved blacktop. FC, the urge to use RON97 for high compression, etc.

Are you sure you're in the right position to not consider a non-proton/perodua new car?

Last edited:

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Bro Izso, I only get RM7/day during my school days :'( summore not Sat and Sun are not included...even I work part time...also cannot afford a car without financial backup from my parents. I drove my dad's Nissan Sentra N13 and I have to say, the maintenance and repair cost are high. A corrolla might fair better...

Btw back to the TS, if his parents are ok with it, then problem solved :biggrin:

errr...and also...the cheapest car to maintain isnt Kancil 660? That's my perception all the time...dat means im wrong all these while? :bawling:

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Bro Izso, I only get RM7/day during my school days :'( summore not Sat and Sun are not included...even I work part time...also cannot afford a car without financial backup from my parents. I drove my dad's Nissan Sentra N13 and I have to say, the maintenance and repair cost are high. A corrolla might fair better...

Btw back to the TS, if his parents are ok with it, then problem solved :biggrin:

errr...and also...the cheapest car to maintain isnt Kancil 660? That's my perception all the time...dat means im wrong all these while? :bawling:
Bro. cvkit, that depends on what era also. My time even less, but parents nowadays are pampered lot.
I know some are getting very much more for their allowances....

DarkAccoon

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
Izso - very well said. Also not forgetting other things that might go wrong like (i will use wira as sample as well)

- Radiator fan - RM25 for motor alone.
- Wheel lug snaps - RM 2.50
- Tyre cost - RM600 for a whole new set (provided you are using 13 inch)
- Alternator - RM 150 for recond/new (i kinda forgot the price i paid to have it replace on my putra)
- Bushes - depending on which one, it can come up to a sum as well
- etc.

Hanracing: Despite all the horror stories you heard bout proton, have you ever even own one?

I am speaking from experience of owning a wira, putra, inspira (coincidentally all of it ends with the letter "A").

As a student - i drove a wira 1.3
As a fresh grad new to working environment - i drove a putra 1.8
As a stable salary man - I drive an inspira 2.0

Btw, all three cars are still with me and in good running condition. That would be a 9 year old wira, 14 year old putra and 2 years old inspira.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
As a student thinking of buying a 2nd hand car, wont blame u. I use to have that kind of thinking but after knowing how
to do the real MATH, RM25K 2nd hand car is not a joke, I even thought of getting a RM40K 2nd hand car when I was
in college. Thinking maybe doing part time will do. Is not as easy as we think.
(even Celica ST205 was in my mind, never take repairs, maintenance in mind yet)

The temptation of getting a modified car like everyone does at a young age is norm..but good to have dreams but dont
sit behind the keyboard and dream then shiok sendiri by asking questions on the cars that you are interested to buy.

Having a dream is good, but have to have a clear target and plan in hand. Not just say, I'm planning to get
a RM25K 2nd hand car any suggestions? When we ask how you gonna get RM25K cash?

"Oh, I need time to raise funds as mentioned"

How long do you think you will need to raise RM25K as student? Doing part-time?
I could say I'm planning to buy a Nissan GT-R at RM400K but I'll need time to raise some funds to buy it eventually.
So, when will it gonna happen?

Give yourself a target setting if you are really serious in raising funds of RM25K and purchasing the car on your own.
Like Izso said, you got to take maintenance in consideration as well in purchasing 2nd hand cars.

Buying is usually the easiest part, maintaining is another story...

Best when you manage to raise the funds only ask what car to buy when you really have that 25K Cash.
Since you said u need time to raise it but dunno when only manage to raise, then by the time u manage to raise
that RM25K.

Prices of 2nd hand cars may vary differently at that time.

pengyu

Known Member
Sep 28, 2006
get a kancil if u even have the money..

unless u have rich parents, then get the money RM25K..then u ask here..
dun waste our time anymore!

before you post, please show the proof that you have RM25K cash somehow, then we will reply accordingly.

jerrysiow

Known Member
Jan 3, 2012
Seremban
Dark- I live in JB ,JB here got one ae101 want to sale 18k with 20v BT .I am planing to get a ae101 with a BT inside cost about 18k and add more 6k in it .
My advice to you is just get a bike or just take public transport. After come out to work, pay your 25k as a downpayment and get a proper load on it with a brand new proton or perodua car.
I don't think a student just finish SPM and probably still holding a "P" status driving license is able to maintain a car or get a car without financial support by parent. I don't think a student can afford the spare parts of 4age 20v engine and don't forget that the current RON97 price is RM2.85.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Izso - very well said. Also not forgetting other things that might go wrong like (i will use wira as sample as well)

- Radiator fan - RM25 for motor alone.
- Wheel lug snaps - RM 2.50
- Tyre cost - RM600 for a whole new set (provided you are using 13 inch)
- Alternator - RM 150 for recond/new (i kinda forgot the price i paid to have it replace on my putra)
- Bushes - depending on which one, it can come up to a sum as well
- etc.

Hanracing: Despite all the horror stories you heard bout proton, have you ever even own one?

I am speaking from experience of owning a wira, putra, inspira (coincidentally all of it ends with the letter "A").

As a student - i drove a wira 1.3
As a fresh grad new to working environment - i drove a putra 1.8
As a stable salary man - I drive an inspira 2.0

Btw, all three cars are still with me and in good running condition. That would be a 9 year old wira, 14 year old putra and 2 years old inspira.
As mentioned Proton will have plenty of Parts. Own a Wira before too. Only problem with Wira was the rusty roof, other then that it was pretty okay.
You are better off, as being a student I had to take the bus.....:bawling:
Start working had to use the bike, until an accident broke my leg, then only drove a car....:driver::biggrin:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Just get a Kelisa la, maybe parents can pay downpayment for you 1st, while you pay monthly. My 2nd hand kelisa, loan 4 years,
RM400+ a month. RM24K when I bought.

Maintenance, cheap and saves fuel. Not much of a problem :top:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
As a student myself (I've finished my SPM anyway), I suggest you to get something like a new Viva 660. That one has a manual transmission too. I admit that I often wanted to get a 2nd hand car with some performance like EG6, EK4, Satria/Perdana with 4G63T/4G93 and so on. However, I do realize that in order for a student like myself to own those sort of cars, it won't be easy for me to maintain it (fuel consumption, fixing wear&tear, replacing faulty parts, finding spare parts, roadtax, insurance) and not to mention about how reliable these cars are since they are old (you might suffer a sudden breakdown on the road). Furthermore, it would increase the burden of my family's budget if I decided to get such a car. Therefore, I suggest you to get yourself a new car like Viva in order save some money for yourself and your family. You're still young, you will have plenty of chances to own these performance cars next time in your future when you have a stable income and a job. By the way, pranking around this forum is definitely not a good idea as the people here are spending their time and energy to reply/help you. They are offering guidance for free and I do hope you won't misplace their faith and trust. Come to this forum to learn, not to prank.

Last edited:

hansc

Known Member
Nov 14, 2003
KL/WP
Visit site
get somethign feasible.. remember, at your tender age, you need a vehicle to do the most basic thing, that is to get from point a to point b...

if you are looking for performance ride, forget about it... those that are selling for 25k or less, will definitely burn holes in ur pocket/wallet when it comes to maintenance... get a decent ride (whether it's proton or perodua, it doesnt matter, my first ride is a kenari)... and slowly work it out... dont let urself be your car's slave... build up ur skills and knowledge and then only opt for something powerful so that u know how to handle it... certainly dont wanna see in ZTH one fine day, with a thread stating "H@NR@CING kicked the bucket" or something like that..

just my 2 cents...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Blardy hell.....Either they have fact to proof the cars they sell really belonged to all teachers.....or they are downright blardy liars.....

CANGGIH MOTOR ENTERPRISE SDN BHD - PRO Niaga Store on Mudah.my

I wonder what is next?? Car owners previously female virgins??
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience