Car for student ?

arturo

nooB
Aug 5, 2004
SateCelupLand
student wanna maintain a 2nd hand close to 20 yo car?

stick with a cheap to maintain good FC daily driver. Viva 850 manual can get for rm370/month.

trust me, that daily driver will still be used 10 years down the road when you appreciate how good it feels to only need rm60 worth of fuel to run close to 1000km and tyres that only cost you rm180 for 1 piece of good tyres. bonus...you will always bring back an oil can with 1/4 oil left everytime you do normal servicing.

dont look down on local P1 and P2. i get my ass kicked by wiras, myvis, vivas, iswaras,....wtf...all the local cars have kicked my butt one time or another. P1 n P2 run cheap so you will have a lot of extra money to play with it.

Dream big but don't live beyond your means or you'll end up a slave to debt.

YYC

1,500 RPM
Dec 30, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
I owned my first bicycle @10, motorbike@19, car@27. But time is changing. My uncle bought his daughters a brand new cars when they went to college, at least supported by family. Some are lucky some are not. If you need to earn a living and support yourself as well as family every cent counts. Don't forget Ringgit is shrinking and stuff is getting more expensive by the day, without considerable income that grows, playing with man's big toy will make your life miserable.

Ever heard a story from a friend, his buddy with RM2xxx income driving a brand new Camry, looks nice and pretty but never come out for tt because wallet empty, car parked at home and bread is his main meal.

Hanracing, good luck to you.

Last edited:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
I owned my first bicycle @10, motorbike@19, car@27. But time is changing. My uncle bought his daughters a brand new cars when they went to college, at least supported by family. Some are lucky some are not. If you need to earn a living and support yourself as well as family every cent counts. Don't forget Ringgit is shrinking and stuff is getting more expensive by the day, without considerable income that grows, playing with man's big toy will make your life miserable.

Ever heard a story from a friend, his buddy with RM2xk income driving a brand new Camry, looks nice and pretty but never come out for tt because wallet empty, car parked at home and bread is his main meal.

Hanracing, good luck to you.
Yes, life is getting tough. RM10K salary now is totally not enough when u have family. Single life then okay la...but also just ngam ngam to live with...

just get a daily car 1st...

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Yes, life is getting tough. RM10K salary now is totally not enough when u have family. Single life then okay la...but also just ngam ngam to live with...

just get a daily car 1st...
All depends on life style. My friend's uncle with 4 kids, earning around RM2,500, still renting house, wife not working, but ride motor bike loh....still survive....:adore:

hanracing

Known Member
May 14, 2011
some where
HANSC- Actually why I need a car is because I need it to take me from point A to B faster than walking .That it ,no need walking again (because walking at night is dangerous and also walking under a hot sunny day ).

Arturo- Maybe u are right ,I am too anti malaysia car .haha :D Anyway Thanks for the advise

YYC- ya,Malaysia money is srinking and our salery won't go up .Is really miserable to play car now .
Is the same thing that u buy a BUGGATI and u can't afford to pay the fuel money . Thanks for the advise.

Supra- Maybe I will just get a car which is fuel economical and have 4 door and under 15k or 10k .Because I can drive it daily and also save my money for future .

arturo

nooB
Aug 5, 2004
SateCelupLand
YYC....i too had no car up till i saved up close to a year's gaji to put down a downpayment on my first car... in between that tumpang other ppl car n sit bus only hahah

yr right about the younger generation getting cars way faster than us...my colleague told me he bought a wira 2nd hand for 9k for his daughter to go college in KBU. i was like....KBU woi...no public transport until need a car meh?

i guess the times are changing...

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
YYC....i too had no car up till i saved up close to a year's gaji to put down a downpayment on my first car... in between that tumpang other ppl car n sit bus only hahah

yr right about the younger generation getting cars way faster than us...my colleague told me he bought a wira 2nd hand for 9k for his daughter to go college in KBU. i was like....KBU woi...no public transport until need a car meh?

i guess the times are changing...
I think if I'm the father, I'll buy a car for my college children too for their convenience and also safety, not to mention to stress out to them to drive responsibly. Because if u look at public transport nowadays...mostly are foreigners and "ma lat Lou" (I'm sorry I don't know the correct words in English). Moreover if its my daughter who's taking the public transport alone.

9k for a college student is reasonable..IMHO, I don't mind seeing the younger generations having a better life than us because I believe this is why we work so hard, especially parents out there. All we want is a better life for our children, isn't it? Of course, the children should have to work hard to get pampered e.g. Get good results in sch, behave well, etc

YYC

1,500 RPM
Dec 30, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
It was all different then. Having a car is indeed safer and more convenient for girl in the city. I would also do the same for my daughter. The luxury of the past has become a necessity nowadays.

hanracing

Known Member
May 14, 2011
some where
Is truth ,If this is Singapore which have good public transportation I also won't consider buying a car .Malaysia need to improve its public transportation ,or else car is really a necessary item in Malaysia .

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I think if I'm the father, I'll buy a car for my college children too for their convenience and also safety, not to mention to stress out to them to drive responsibly. Because if u look at public transport nowadays...mostly are foreigners and "ma lat Lou" (I'm sorry I don't know the correct words in English). Moreover if its my daughter who's taking the public transport alone.

9k for a college student is reasonable..IMHO, I don't mind seeing the younger generations having a better life than us because I believe this is why we work so hard, especially parents out there. All we want is a better life for our children, isn't it? Of course, the children should have to work hard to get pampered e.g. Get good results in sch, behave well, etc
Very true, those days I took the bus to school. Nowadays, not due to one being richer, but also due to safety measures that we have own car. That is why my wife's car was not sold off and kept for the kids to learn to drive.....

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
It was all different then. Having a car is indeed safer and more convenient for girl in the city. I would also do the same for my daughter. The luxury of the past has become a necessity nowadays.
Agree..like mobile phones. Everybody has it now. Not to say that we can't survive without it, but it makes our life easier..

Is truth ,If this is Singapore which have good public transportation I also won't consider buying a car .Malaysia need to improve its public transportation ,or else car is really a necessary item in Malaysia .
Singapore safety is way better than here. Thus taking public transport is also better. So what car have you decided anyway? Trust us, get a reasonable priced 2nd hand car or a cheap new car like viva/saga. Until you are working full time then you'll be thankful not need to pay car loan. Can save for a house.

Very true, those days I took the bus to school. Nowadays, not due to one being richer, but also due to safety measures that we have own car. That is why my wife's car was not sold off and kept for the kids to learn to drive.....
Those days I walked to school..both primary and secondary. My primary school is quite near, around 300-400m from my house. Secondary being almost 1km. I enjoy the morning breeze while walking to school. But if now..even walk alone to buy chicken rice also worry of being robbed.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Cvkit/Supra_Fan/the gang,

Believe it or not, the Kancil isn't as cheap when compared to the Wira when it comes to maintenance. The only thing the Kancil has over the Wira is the lack of things to maintain in comparison. I used to own a Kelisa and I know for a fact it costs way more to maintain. Even a simple job like changing the engine mounts costs 3 times more than the Wira.

hachiroku clan

500 RPM
Oct 16, 2008
Kelisa engine mounts cost more because its a 3-cylinder engine right? engine vibrates more due to uneven number of pistons. well that's what i read somewhere before.

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Perodua parts are more expensive, this I know it but never thought of so much more expensive than proton's.

So the verdict is: get a wira :rock:

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Unfortunately for me, I somehow corrupted some of my photos and need to retake the brake bleeding process so that'll be done in part #3 of the 'how to improve braking performance' series.

But for now I'd like to discuss this particular modification that I had done - Steel Braided Hoses.

The original OEM brake hose is made of a special rubber compound that's able to withstand the 1000psi (probably less...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience