Which GPS navigation is most suitable

XTEC

500 RPM
Dec 2, 2007
garmin GPS is the best so far, my self using garmin C530 with out TTS but hack garmin GPS device now had tts feature:biggrin:

if u are plannig to buy GPS set pls check:
1.***how fast the GPS aqquire the sat,ppl called COLD start ( below 90 sec or less are better).
2.***WARM start is mean after u use GPS & off & on again it should be instant or less than 5 sec.
3.**maps are very important! mean u can senang dapat map yang F*** if u need to travell to others country.
4.battery standby time, this apply if u are use it when vacation jalan kaki mana pergi charge.

for like additional feature like mp3,video,bluetooth & etc are not so necessary unless u had additional budget .

bugs893

Aug 12, 2009
Melaka
Garmin and papago are the best gps in Malaysia, me myself used both, garmin nuvi 205 and papagox3. The forumers like malfreemaps always give u the update maps ( even the latest maps for garmin is yesterday 25 jan 2010 and papago was 22 jan 2010)

GAC-GPS

Apr 11, 2010
Melaka
two choices:

1. PND on car GPS system. need buy, but no more other using fee. big screen smooth running
2. Mobile Phone, need buy a mobile phone with A-GPS function. But need to pay GPRS when using. small screen, lag on some low CPU phone.

GAC GPS System with Papago SE Malaysia

khairiaz

Known Member
Jan 21, 2006
I am using Garmin Quest. This model is really comprehensive at very much affordable price. Can track & record onroad and OFFROAD as well. Has lots of built in memory. So far, I have recorded more than 10 tracks and only consuming 20% memory capacity.

However, this model is no longer in production.

If you want to buy a Garmin, I suggest buy a Nuvi 710. These units can record onroad and offroad tracks as well. The cons, they can record 10 routes only but if you start to record track 11, it will automatically delete the 1st track. If you want to buy better units, I suggest a Nuvi 760 or Street Pilot 2620. These have bigger capabilities, onroad and offroad tracks.

I do not suggest a Nuvi 200 series as these units can only record onroad tracks and have limited record capacity.
I have upgraded to Garmin Nuvi 775. lots and lots of features inside. :biggrin:

veilsideboyz

1,500 RPM
Oct 28, 2008
get a PAPAGO !! :proud:
My fren using Garmin...go PD.. the map show 15-30minutes damn far...but ...
We can go that place around 5min...without GPS...

khairiaz

Known Member
Jan 21, 2006
if you plan to use your GPS worldwide, use Garmin Nuvi 700 series models. Mine comes free with USA and Europe maps, I only added RM500 for GCC map.

fast

Known Member
May 19, 2005
PJ
hi all the sifu... currently using goozee GPs bought last year... any idea how to update maps ... ask those reseller ask me to sell my gooze cause it used crack software... agree..

should sell or used and update..tq

yeehau86

Helmet Clan
Feb 10, 2007
If I am korek, GooZee is using Windows CE format. These are the steps I usually refer to for my GPS (not GooZee), so not sure it is compatible for yours or not:

Using MapSource software, go to C:/windows/Garmin/MSM/MySin/Gmapsupp.img

Copy and paste the gmapsupp.img (the new map) into the Goozee memory card in Garmin/Gmapsupp.img

Take note: Backup any existing gmapsupp.img so that if anything goes wrong you can still restore the original files

fast

Known Member
May 19, 2005
PJ
If I am korek, GooZee is using Windows CE format. These are the steps I usually refer to for my GPS (not GooZee), so not sure it is compatible for yours or not:
thanks for the advise... actually me not so good in it stuff... don mind clearer step ...tq

stevenV6

1,000 RPM
Jun 15, 2006
hi all the sifu... currently using goozee GPs bought last year... any idea how to update maps ... ask those reseller ask me to sell my gooze cause it used crack software... agree..

should sell or used and update..tq
sell it..& get a garmin......

toyoT1R

May 14, 2009
i prefer Papago.but my version is outdated its 2008 version.do u guys know where to download the latest version of the map?Thanx

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
Almost all have. Try before you buy. I'm using the garmin 1460 because it has the biggest screen, and it's much more sensitive than the taiwan GPS units.

scoupe

1,000 RPM
Mar 19, 2005
shah alam
almost all have tripmeter? hmmm.. thats great.. is there any recomendations.. im on a tight budget though..

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
The newer garmin models are the 1460 and the 3790, these are in the region of 800-1.2K. The more expensive units are smaller, and are meant for people who walk and travel with GPSes.

One thing to understand about GPS is that although the units are different, some of them run the same software. You can find some taiwan GPS units running garmin mobileXT, which is also made by garmin. The difference is that the newer models support 3D and other extra features. Some taiwan units also run Papago and Mapking.

The cheaper garmins about 600-700. about the same as taiwan models.(and maybe slightly more expensive, if you start looking at very cheap taiwan units) Taiwan models have extra features like MP3 and video, but they're not really that great IMO, because it's not running together, you turn on MP3/VIDEO mode, the navigation doesn't work.

AECO units are the original distributor sets, and slightly more expensive. The gray imports also work, but they're not the local versions, and might require some additional things like voices, (if you want to run Malay navigation voice) but those can be added on, and most GPS shops can help you with installing extras.

GPS units also require frequent map updates.
My ASEAN Free GPS Map Project • Index page is a good place to get the latest maps, and reviews of GPS units. Also got dealers from various parts of Malaysia there, so can choose one that allow you to test their display units.

The garmin city navigator has junction view and lane assist, but it's sadly outdated, so most of the time, you'll end up using MFM maps, which has a larger POI database and more up to date maps, especially for rural areas.

There's other options like Papago and the local made GPS unit, but I can't tell you much about them since I never tried them out. I did try papago on a taiwan unit, but driving at 80KMH, the lag from them made me miss turns usually, which was why I ended up with the garmin unit.

Last edited:

scoupe

1,000 RPM
Mar 19, 2005
shah alam
thanks for the great info.. but i am wondering is it possible for the unit to show my speed and record my mileage if i do not set a destination..

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

More photos from the Motor Sport Japan 2007, this time focused on the Rally Masters.For about half an hour, the attendance had the chance to witness some of the very best Rally machines that Japan has to offer with the "classic" WRC (World Rally Championship) cars such as Arai-San's Subaru Impreza WRX 2007 and Taguchi-San's Group N Lancer Evolution.

Again, Nihoncar.com covers the event

Also...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience