Which GPS navigation is most suitable

fast

Known Member
May 19, 2005
PJ
If I am korek, GooZee is using Windows CE format. These are the steps I usually refer to for my GPS (not GooZee), so not sure it is compatible for yours or not:
thanks for the advise... actually me not so good in it stuff... don mind clearer step ...tq

stevenV6

1,000 RPM
Jun 15, 2006
hi all the sifu... currently using goozee GPs bought last year... any idea how to update maps ... ask those reseller ask me to sell my gooze cause it used crack software... agree..

should sell or used and update..tq
sell it..& get a garmin......

toyoT1R

May 14, 2009
i prefer Papago.but my version is outdated its 2008 version.do u guys know where to download the latest version of the map?Thanx

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
Almost all have. Try before you buy. I'm using the garmin 1460 because it has the biggest screen, and it's much more sensitive than the taiwan GPS units.

scoupe

1,000 RPM
Mar 19, 2005
shah alam
almost all have tripmeter? hmmm.. thats great.. is there any recomendations.. im on a tight budget though..

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
The newer garmin models are the 1460 and the 3790, these are in the region of 800-1.2K. The more expensive units are smaller, and are meant for people who walk and travel with GPSes.

One thing to understand about GPS is that although the units are different, some of them run the same software. You can find some taiwan GPS units running garmin mobileXT, which is also made by garmin. The difference is that the newer models support 3D and other extra features. Some taiwan units also run Papago and Mapking.

The cheaper garmins about 600-700. about the same as taiwan models.(and maybe slightly more expensive, if you start looking at very cheap taiwan units) Taiwan models have extra features like MP3 and video, but they're not really that great IMO, because it's not running together, you turn on MP3/VIDEO mode, the navigation doesn't work.

AECO units are the original distributor sets, and slightly more expensive. The gray imports also work, but they're not the local versions, and might require some additional things like voices, (if you want to run Malay navigation voice) but those can be added on, and most GPS shops can help you with installing extras.

GPS units also require frequent map updates.
My ASEAN Free GPS Map Project • Index page is a good place to get the latest maps, and reviews of GPS units. Also got dealers from various parts of Malaysia there, so can choose one that allow you to test their display units.

The garmin city navigator has junction view and lane assist, but it's sadly outdated, so most of the time, you'll end up using MFM maps, which has a larger POI database and more up to date maps, especially for rural areas.

There's other options like Papago and the local made GPS unit, but I can't tell you much about them since I never tried them out. I did try papago on a taiwan unit, but driving at 80KMH, the lag from them made me miss turns usually, which was why I ended up with the garmin unit.

Last edited:

scoupe

1,000 RPM
Mar 19, 2005
shah alam
thanks for the great info.. but i am wondering is it possible for the unit to show my speed and record my mileage if i do not set a destination..

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
thanks for the great info.. but i am wondering is it possible for the unit to show my speed and record my mileage if i do not set a destination..
My experience with my own unit.
i hardly set the destination just use the map for alerting me of speedtraps and common roadblock points.

As if we need to have turn by turn directions to drive around a town we're familiar with.

The tripmeter works as long as the gps is running. I always get a screen with my distance driven each time I turn off the car. It detects the power going into it gone, it turns off and shows a summary, including fuel if you set ecoroute.

With ecoroute, it can estimate fuel used when you drive. It's only an estimation based on how many litres per km your car can do. Mine is about 16l/100km. But like I said, estimation only.

The initial reason I got a gps is for mileage claim. So I do use the tripmeter.
AFAIK. the active log only works if you route a destination. You can later copy them over to pc and view them in mapsource, then print them out. The software isn't exactly friendly though, so have to learn a bit, but it's all about how you want to use the GPS.

scoupe

1,000 RPM
Mar 19, 2005
shah alam
thats great cause i want one for milage claims reason too.. as my original speed meter and tripmeter will not work. what is the exact model that u are using? and how much is it? does it save the miliage readings? or everytime u turn off and on it starts from zero?

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
no, the garmin tripmeter doesn't reset when power off. I only reset when i'm going to claim mileage for work.

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
Garmin nuvi 1460 about RM800-900.. I bought mine at RM900, but the recent price should be lower now. (the new nuvi 3970 has 3d building features, but for me, it is kinda distracting, and the smaller screen put me off too, and I asked to try it first before buying)
The cheaper one is just a bit slower, so you can't put full detailed maps with custom polygons, but it'll work just fine with average detail maps.

Don't worry too much about the features, I think most gps no matter what brand has a tripmeter.

Always test the GPS before buying, those long satellite lock on times can be pretty irritating.

Don't trust the GPS 100% though, or you might turn into a one way road with it's directions. I kena before.. lucky got police there, so he helped stopped traffic and let me turn back. :P Already noticed the out of state licence plate I guess, and the one way road was recently changed. It's good as a guide for unfamiliar roads though.