What to check/look for when buying used Proton

ace7

Jun 30, 2014
Penang
Hi guys,

I want to make checklist for buying a used Proton.

What's do you guys recommend one should check/keep in mind when buying a used Proton/Used Car.

Here are few points from me which may or may not be correct so please correct if I am wrong.

1: Prefer to buy used car from owners instead of dealers.
2: Check engine blow back. If there is some then engine is weak.
3: Check exhaust fume color. If light blueish then engine burns engine oil.
4: Check engine bay for any leakages.
5: During test run if squeeky noise comes after applying breaks then break pads need changing and/or break system needs service.
6: Open the engine cap and see the engine looks clean. If there are carbon deposits (black colored stuff sticking here and there) then that engines has not been maintained well.

What are your points? Or corrections for my list?

ace7

Jun 30, 2014
Penang
Most people don't have such a friend and most of them only know some checklists anyway. Why not educate ourselves to do the same and with experience we can buy and sell used cars with less chances of getting a bad car.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Most people don't have such a friend and most of them only know some checklists anyway. Why not educate ourselves to do the same and with experience we can buy and sell used cars with less chances of getting a bad car.
Yes and No. Yes, good to learn but No, because not experience enough. Get a mechanic or friend who is experience and learn from there is safer....:driver:

---------- Post added at 01:43 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 01:41 PM ----------

Hi guys,

What's do you guys recommend one should check/keep in mind when buying a used Proton/Used Car.

Here are few points from me which may or may not be correct so please correct if I am wrong.

5: During test run if squeeky noise comes after applying breaks then break pads need changing and/or break system needs service.
6: Open the engine cap and see the engine looks clean. If there are carbon deposits (black colored stuff sticking here and there) then that engines has not been maintained well.

You did not mention about body work. Check main frame for damages, bonnet and boot for accidents etc....:smokin:

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
What car are u buying?
Best way is to bring a good friend or mech who know about the car model.
If u tell us the model then some might be able to assist as different model have different things to look out for.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Hi guys,

That's too generic. What model? You forgot to include rust checking. The pre-Waja/Perdana Protons were all prone to rust. Then there's accident damage checking, front chassis, rear trunk, side sills, undercarriage, A-B-C pillar cut-and-connect tell tale signs, etc.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Hi guys,

You bring Izso along, confirm 90% your car will be alright.
If you asked earlier, I had one Saga BLM for sale last month. Excellent condition hehe!

boyzone

2,000 RPM
Mar 13, 2005
Actually, for Proton car that most important is no accident, chassis frame no chop and re-weld.
The rest, all can be re-stored.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
1. Check if warranty is still valid, if no, walk away, cause Proton will always got problem.***
2. Make sure do Puspakom yourself to make sure not kereta sambung.

***Unless it is a Mitsubishi or Honda CKD by Proton.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I thought this would be the PERFECT test car for the Castrol Edge as being an old car, this will really test out its protective properties. Also, it’s a heavy car with a 2.8cc engine so fuel consumption is generally on the high side. Since owning the car in December 2009, it’s been running on an average 6.3 – 6.4km per litre of fuel. It’s on a strict diet of RON95, being my daily drive and the ever rising cost...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience