Volkswagen made proton cars...good idea.

goldwave84

Known Member
Oct 1, 2005
Hi everyone!
So nice to finally be posting on malaysian sitelah. Anyway, even though got many proton haters out there, I still say malaysia boleh. Now the word is VW might be taking over, lets hope its a new era for proton. Imagine a gen2+ jetta combined designed car.....we could have a really good car in our hands. Anyway, only time will tell........

wetsprocket

Known Member
May 12, 2005
bolehland
Its a pipe dream. VW are interested only in the manufacturing and assembling facilities owned by Proton so that they can manufacture/assemble VW cars for the region. They will not be bothered to try co-branding or sharing platforms with proton because Proton has virtually zero market penetration anywhere in the world other than malaysia, and the malaysian market is too small.

HKS-GT2835R

1,000 RPM
Apr 25, 2004
kelate
Visit site
goldwave84 said:
..Imagine a gen2+ jetta combined designed car.....we could have a really good car in our hands.
the Vw Jetta, is already a good car. Gen-2, on the other hand, is another side of the story.

It's gonna take years to happen anyway, IMO. i mean, why Vw wanna mess up a perfectly good car?

goldwave84

Known Member
Oct 1, 2005
Im sure Dr.M aint gonna allow them to wipe proton out. About the jetta, it will remain, i was taking about a combined version, like a totally new car. The Gen2 looks good, and it can be road worthy if VW was in it. Get the picture?

Last edited:

TiBuN

Known Member
May 16, 2004
Penang / BM
Visit site
I think Gen2 looks good, but that's about it. The geometry and structure of pillar C and pillar D is really a bad design.
Anyone here familiar with MiG-31 Foxhound? It's something like that, can't see really who's behind your tail.

acbc

4,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2004
KD
If parts QC same... it will be a Proton... poor quality and very unreliable.

DRiftAGster

Known Member
Jul 6, 2004
i think even if VW owns Proton, it will still be the same.

Proton owns Lotus, fo you see anything on Proton that comes from Lotus other than the badge on satria GTI?? Or do you see Lotus start manufacturing sedan cars which proton does??

it is just the owning a company to benefit from its current setup and probably profit.... they will not be so stupid to mix up the models of 2 different brands of cars, VW owns so many car company, yet all manufacturing different models.

if VW owns proton but keep the old management, not much of changes will take place, unless they re-shuffle the whole setup of proton -- which is very very unlikely.

NOSkill

1,500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
Jetta is a chick's car anyway. Also, I doubt if Malaysian will sell of its pride to let other foreign country rule its spoiled child.

zephyr3d

3,000 RPM
Apr 29, 2005
near steven's
i dont know bout u guyz, but i'm thinking that proton had a hardtime selling their own cars, which are simplified versions of the mitsu, what more a complicated continental car?

i fear itz going to be a mess...

faisal

1,500 RPM
Oct 20, 2004
The Valley
ignition.my
DRiftAGster said:
i think even if VW owns Proton, it will still be the same.

Proton owns Lotus, fo you see anything on Proton that comes from Lotus other than the badge on satria GTI?? Or do you see Lotus start manufacturing sedan cars which proton does??

it is just the owning a company to benefit from its current setup and probably profit.... they will not be so stupid to mix up the models of 2 different brands of cars, VW owns so many car company, yet all manufacturing different models.

if VW owns proton but keep the old management, not much of changes will take place, unless they re-shuffle the whole setup of proton -- which is very very unlikely.
Lotus Engineering provides many engineering / technical backup to Proton. And need I remind you that Lotus is a sportscar manufacturer. to build / sell a Lotus sedan goes againt that .

I see nothing wrong with a tie up with VW. Look at SEAT and Skoda. 15 yrs ago they were making rebadged decade old Fiats. Now SEAT make some of the most sporting hatches in Europe with a touch of Mediterranean styling and Skoda makes truly Good quality stuff.

All thanks to the VW parts and platform sharing. Think about it. The Audi A3, Golf GTI, SEAT Leon, Skoda all share the same platform and engines.. a next generation GEN-2 with all the above DNA can't be bad.

Just wishful thinking on my part.

HKS-GT2835R

1,000 RPM
Apr 25, 2004
kelate
Visit site
faisal said:
Lotus Engineering provides many engineering / technical backup to Proton. And need I remind you that Lotus is a sportscar manufacturer. to build / sell a Lotus sedan goes againt that .

I see nothing wrong with a tie up with VW. Look at SEAT and Skoda. 15 yrs ago they were making rebadged decade old Fiats. Now SEAT make some of the most sporting hatches in Europe with a touch of Mediterranean styling and Skoda makes truly Good quality stuff.

All thanks to the VW parts and platform sharing. Think about it. The Audi A3, Golf GTI, SEAT Leon, Skoda all share the same platform and engines.. a next generation GEN-2 with all the above DNA can't be bad.

Just wishful thinking on my part.
bro i like ur way of thinking..

zan

2,000 RPM
Feb 20, 2005
if not mistaken, volkswagen already denied such proposal.

but still, anything is possible. isnt it?

vokswagen already has Audi, Lamborghini, Skoda and Seat under its wings. if not mistaken Bentley also.

to acquire proton means new headache. 1st they need to address QC problem, than cost of production which is on the high side, how to produce more cars..maybe ten fold than present and how to sell these cars. IMO, for example even people in Italy do not know whether Proton exist or not. it wud be a hardwork for VW to get proton to penetrate new markets. but it wud be nice if they can have their magic touch on Proton. imagine new Satria GTI with 2.0 turbo, from VW golf MKIV. or all new Perdana with W12 engine... all at a lower price.

the hierarchy wud be like this.

1) Bentley - the most luxurious
2) Audi - the exclusive
3) VW - alternatives for Audi juz like Audi A3 and VW Golf
4) Seat - lower one grade than VW
5) Skoda - lower one grade than Seat
6) Proton - ...any ideas??

my 2 cents..:D

DRiftAGster

Known Member
Jul 6, 2004
silverfish & faisal, thanks for the explanation.... maybe u guys r right...

many ppl seems to have positive feedback about this VW-Proton thing, so hopefully it will create some revolution for proton... lets wait and see....

faisal

1,500 RPM
Oct 20, 2004
The Valley
ignition.my
zan said:
Volkswagen already has Audi, Lamborghini, Skoda and Seat under its wings. if not mistaken Bentley also.

to acquire proton means new headache. 1st they need to address QC problem, than cost of production which is on the high side, how to produce more cars..maybe ten fold than present and how to sell these cars. IMO, for example even people in Italy do not know whether Proton exist or not. it wud be a hardwork for VW to get proton to penetrate new markets. but it wud be nice if they can have their magic touch on Proton. imagine new Satria GTI with 2.0 turbo, from VW golf MKIV. or all new Perdana with W12 engine... all at a lower price.

the hierarchy wud be like this.

1) Bentley - the most luxurious
2) Audi - the exclusive
3) VW - alternatives for Audi juz like Audi A3 and VW Golf
4) Seat - lower one grade than VW
5) Skoda - lower one grade than Seat
6) Proton - ...any ideas??

my 2 cents..:D
Zan, you should really look up on what VW has done for Skoda and SEAT. It may be hard to believe but before VW's involvement these 2 companies made really crappy cars ( I mean nothing is crappier than an early '80s FIAT) So addressing QC problems is the least of their worries, considering their experience.

Secondly, VW has a desire to be more prominent in the SEA market. So if ever they decide to buy/JV with Proton I would think the likes of Bernd Pietchrider and his board would like to establish Proton and the VW brand here , in the SEA.

BTW VW marques are more like so:-
Bentley and Bugatti - Luxury and Sports (think Rolls and Maybach rivals)
Lamborghini - Sports ( Actually they are owned & run by Audi but since VW owns..
Audi - sports and executive (as an alternative to Beemers)
VW - A step below ( think Opels and Ford)
SEAT - mediterranean Alfa Rival
Skoda - Entry level pricing ( but with exceptional quality)

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

The Lancia Stratos made its name on the world rallying stage and the moment a modern interpretation of the Stratos was commissioned, we all hoped that we could see it make a return to the rallying world once again.

Fortunately for us, Michael Stoschek, the man behind the reincarnation of the Stratos, was on the same train of thought. So once his lethal metal wedge was done, he took it rallying at the 2011...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience