Volkswagen Beetle (Year 2001) - to buy or not to buy?

Mar 12, 2010
Utopia
Hello all, was wondering if I could get some advice from all you more experienced people out there.

My 2002 Honda Civic is dying a slow death, so I'm planning to replace it before it dies on me completely. I'm looking at either the smart fortwo or the Volkswagen Beetle. There's a 2001 2.0 Beetle for sale nearby and I've been lusting for it for many many many years so I've half a mind to get it!

Would you guys (and girls) think it's a good idea? Are the new Beetles reliable... this one's manufactured in 2001. I'm not planning to keep it for too long though, I'll only be here for another year before I leave for overseas permanently, after which I plan to sell it. Any idea on the resale value too? What should I look out for when I view this car/before I agree to buy it? What price should I be paying for this car so that I know I'm not being overcharged?

I don't need an uber amazing car... just one that'll work reliably and is a fun drive. That's why I'm thinking of the smart fortwo or beetle.

Appreciate any help... just ANYTHING on the VW New Beetle would be great...many thanks! :wavey:

Last edited:

ravingill

500 RPM
May 29, 2006
Kuala Lumpur
www.facebook.com
well , u must be a beetle fan bcoz even ur nick name says it all, one think u ahve to understand when you switch from japanese cars to continentals cars is a hike in price for parts and overall running cost of the car as maintenance and labour is going to be slightly more expensive but tis only applies if you have been servicing ur honda civic at honda service center which i am goin to assume you dont since you did mention its dying a slow death , a well serviced car should be doing fine as honda's are very reliable cars.

Back to the beetle , its an icon so therefore price cepreciation is not much , u shud be paying sumwhere around 100k most to most since its a 2001.

I suggest u go to volkswagen service center and just ask on normal service charges and usual wear and tear parts susch as absorbers / lower arms / timing belts and so on.

If u can afford it go ahead with the buy, reliability depends on how u take care of the engine and transmission, bare in mind engine needs servicing every 5000 or 10000 km depends on what oil you use and gearbox needs oil change every 25000 km.

Also if you can take the beetle for an inspection at Volkswagen service center , it will be a more advisable move

LuKa

500 RPM
Jul 14, 2005
Kedah
I Think the smart is easier to sell n cheaper too... fc also very efficient.. only setback it is small if... you'r taking a car loan whether its a smart or a Beetle you loose a lot for interest which havent matured in such short period... your 2002 civic wld be ES 1.7 / ET2.0 models right? if you value money i think you cld prolong what ever lifespan the civic hv with little proper maintenance...