Swaybar Preload

parakey

1,000 RPM
Apr 30, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ApYQnI9nsY&t=206

I watched Youtube videos depicting how UR installs swaybar/anti-roll bars. In them, I see the cars getting jacked/raised above ground level for the bars to be installed. Final tightening were performed with the wheels off the ground.

Can't help wondering how this can be correct. With vehicles off ground level, the cars aren't at their normal ride height. If you tighten & lock the bolts in this position, when the cars are returned to their normal ride height, the bar should experience some movement. Will this not induce some preloaded twist into the bar?

Any thoughts guys?

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
ARB are not tighten to a fixed point where there is no movement. It supposed to move to counter the right to left and/or left to right, so to me no issues

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
preloaded eh. I never thought of it that way. There's bound to be *some* load but it's minimal since most of the forces will be taken away by the links I suppose?

parakey

1,000 RPM
Apr 30, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
A bit difficult to put into words what I mean. Please have a look at this youtube video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-7whf5jCd4&t=42

In the video, it showed the swaybar end link at full droop. With the wheels off the ground, swaybar hole vs endlink will be misaligned. If the bolt is tightened at this position, when the car is lowered back to it's normal ride height, we're preloading the bar with some unwanted stress.

He He .. sorry about my poor explaination.

marv3

Known Member
Jun 5, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
But if the car is not jacked up, how are you able to fix the rear ARB? I mean if the car is low, is impossible to get underneath behind the car. :hmmmm2::hmmmm2::hmmmm2:

twistedichc

2,000 RPM
Jan 22, 2013
Ampang Point
But if the car is not jacked up, how are you able to fix the rear ARB? I mean if the car is low, is impossible to get underneath behind the car. :hmmmm2::hmmmm2::hmmmm2:
usually there is gap of the nut holes to adjust the nut position, so after installing does not have to tighten the nut all the way, get the car down as low as possible for installer to get in & tighten it, so lesser stress than when the car is way up.

parakey

1,000 RPM
Apr 30, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
I saw one guy used a ramp

Another used a separate jack to raise the lower arm

Alternately, find a tyre shop with a hole in the ground

Attachments

parakey

1,000 RPM
Apr 30, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
usually there is gap of the nut holes to adjust the nut position, so after installing does not have to tighten the nut all the way, get the car down as low as possible for installer to get in & tighten it, so lesser stress than when the car is way up.
Think with most rear ARBs, we can squeeze under the vehicle to tighten the bolt. It's the front that is difficult.

Sorry for bringing up this subject but ever since I uprated my ARBs, NVH has gone down the drain. On early morning starts, heavy vibrations makes their way into the cabin. Once properly warmed up (several minutes later), the vibrations goes away. Previous front ARB used to be 24.4mm. New one is 26mm. Surely that cant make such a huge difference. Trying to figure out why

Last edited:

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
parakey..probably due to spoilt mounting or the front subframe not fixed properly back after installing the sway bar....

and...on stock car...there is no swaybay preload adjustment...u were dead with whats the factory load on swaybar anyway.... unless we were talking about wtcc/wrc/race car sway bar setup that use torsion bar with adjustment gear on both end... or adjustable sway bar link....

and your car doesnt really matter jacked or no jacked both side suspension or tyre subjected to almost equal force when rest on flat ground (plus minor imbalance on factory car weight distribution u cant fix it anyway)

so no need to worry about swaybay preload...doesnt affect anything on road car anyway.....unless we were talking about new fresh tight swaybay link and compared it to old worn lots of free play or even broken swaybay link... then only it differ...

parakey

1,000 RPM
Apr 30, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
parakey..probably due to spoilt mounting or the front subframe not fixed properly back after installing the sway bar...
Sorry for not replying earlier. After fiddling with the end link connection the other night, vibration seems lesser. Will monitor for the next few days. Despite so, I do agree with your diagnosis that engine mounting is likely at fault. Will go claim new units from Proton :biggrin:

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Think with most rear ARBs, we can squeeze under the vehicle to tighten the bolt. It's the front that is difficult.

Sorry for bringing up this subject but ever since I uprated my ARBs, NVH has gone down the drain. On early morning starts, heavy vibrations makes their way into the cabin. Once properly warmed up (several minutes later), the vibrations goes away. Previous front ARB used to be 24.4mm. New one is 26mm. Surely that cant make such a huge difference. Trying to figure out why
What idling speed in the morning at start up? Looks like it is on the low side since got vibration and none after warmed up

parakey

1,000 RPM
Apr 30, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Strange thing is that after approximately 3 years of ownership, this vibration starts occurring shortly after I install those bars.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hey, anybdy know where i can get a solder gun that use 12v dc? dun care the connector...as long as it is 12v dc will do..the connnector can mod myself..thanks
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience