Oil Press reading question. Help & advice needed...

Sil80-13

1,000 RPM

Sil80-13

1,000 RPM
Mar 15, 2009
Hi guys,

I have an oil press meter on my car. I remember someone told me that when the car is idling, the oil press reading should not be below 2 bar.

But after install the oil press, I only realize that when my car idling, the oil press reading is only 0.8bar.

So this is not normal. Right?

Actually what normally goes wrong when the oil press reading is below 2 bar when idling?

Can anyone help & give some advice?

Car running like normal.

Is it fuel pump not strong anymore?

egb18c

500 RPM

egb18c

500 RPM
Feb 8, 2006
kuantan
iam sorry i only can give short answer.need to go to office..
first check the standard oil pressure for your car.
second your fuel pump maybe ok,but your oil pump maybe something is wrong.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
The oil pressure 2bar (29psi) is too high for idle la. It's probably ideal at 20psi or 18psi max. That's about 1 bar to 1.3bar.

0.8 bar is a little low but what engine oil are you using? Different weight and type of engine oil will affect your oil pressure as well.

This has nothing to do with your fuel pressure so you fuel pump shouldn't be affected.

Your oil pump is essentially a couple of propellers that's rotated by the engine itself to pump the oil around the engine. There are only two possibilities :

- oil pump is jammed or damaged (runs slower)
- Engine oil weight is too light. In which case you don't have a problem.

Do you have any leaks?

Also, how accurate is the meter?

Sil80-13

1,000 RPM

Sil80-13

1,000 RPM
Mar 15, 2009
iam sorry i only can give short answer.need to go to office..
first check the standard oil pressure for your car.
second your fuel pump maybe ok,but your oil pump maybe something is wrong.

thanks for the reply even you are rushing bro. :biggrin:

By the way, just want to know if my oil pressure reading is 0.8bar while idling, you mean my oil pump is not strong enough. Right? And will this harm my engine?

When I accelerate, the oil press will goes up more than 2 bar even up to 5bar above

---------- Post added at 09:01 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:57 AM ----------

The oil pressure 2bar (29psi) is too high for idle la. It's probably ideal at 20psi or 18psi max. That's about 1 bar to 1.3bar.

0.8 bar is a little low but what engine oil are you using? Different weight and type of engine oil will affect your oil pressure as well.

This has nothing to do with your fuel pressure so you fuel pump shouldn't be affected.

Your oil pump is essentially a couple of propellers that's rotated by the engine itself to pump the oil around the engine. There are only two possibilities :

- oil pump is jammed or damaged (runs slower)
- Engine oil weight is too light. In which case you don't have a problem.

Do you have any leaks?

Also, how accurate is the meter?
Currently I am on Penzoil Semi 10/40. Oil pump jammed? How to check whether it's jammed? Engine runs normal.

No leakage as my garage floor is clean...

Not sure how accurate is the meter as I am on Shadow Pro 2 meter (latest version 3)...

p3jal

1,000 RPM

p3jal

1,000 RPM
Jan 20, 2007
Selangor
defi meter very accurate.yea oil press meter is very important.my car 1 time engine boom.because of oil pump jammed.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Sil80-13, since you get 5bar (72psi) when running it sounds like your oil pump is working fine. I think in that case it just might be your oil that's affecting the pressure. Try monitoring and changing to a different weight oil like 5W30, it'll probably read higher figures. I don't think you have a problem. But 2bar idling pressure is too high in my opinion.

Yee

500 RPM

Yee

500 RPM
Nov 16, 2003
Anton Lavey
my STi oil press was 1.8- 2 bar (oil temp 92c, 20w50 synthetic oil) on idle with 12mm oil pump. If with stock 10mm oil pump it's around 2.8 - 3bar. Better check with your mechanic bout ur car standard oil press reading.

crazykatak

500 RPM

crazykatak

500 RPM
Mar 1, 2006
Subang Jaya
as Iszo suggested, check manufacturer's specs for hot idle oil pressure.

for good measure, a test can be made to check or to compare aftermarket gauge readings and actual oil pressure.
to perform this, a pressure tester is required..which i doubt most workshops have.

similar procedure as checking fuel pressure..just that this time is to check for oil pressure.
place the pressure tester sensor at the engine oil pressure switch ( removing the oil press switch temporarily ) and start the engine.

from there you can observe pressure shown from tester gauge and compare to aftermarket gauge.
note that cold start oil pressure is usually high. 5-6bars or can be more on idle.

as engine warms up, on idle the pressure gradually drops.if there's an oil temperature gauge, you can relate pressure drop with the increase of oil temperature.
though small, but this test shows alot..importantly, troubleshooting any faults ( if there is ) before it gets serious.

happy trying :)

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Sil80-13, since you get 5bar (72psi) when running it sounds like your oil pump is working fine. I think in that case it just might be your oil that's affecting the pressure. Try monitoring and changing to a different weight oil like 5W30, it'll probably read higher figures. I don't think you have a problem. But 2bar idling pressure is too high in my opinion.
Using lighter viscosity oil show have lower reading, right?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Great day guys,
This morning I woke up and was thinking about doing away the stains on the headlights with little or no cost and was thinking about the those sale person at Tesco offering product that can clean it. Always refused those pestering salesman as the stains on the headlight was only minimal and only on one side. Furthermore after you have done polishing the headlights the stains won't come back instantly and the product that we bought might be expired then. So I set out to DIY my...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience