steering vibration

kingway

today i changed my wira lower arm, after that go do the ALIGNMENT n BALANCING
... but my steering still vibrate when above 100km/h ! anything
goes wrong? the vibration bcome stronger when i steer the steering at
high speed

ur car accident before??... why change lower arm??..
last time my after my accident also change lower arm... the mech said lucky my chassis didnt misalligned, or else will feel vibration in high speed...
if ur car been in an accident, i think is chassis/body structure lari adi... ask back ur mech pull it back straight for u lo...

if dont believe me, go back to ur mech and ask his professional advice... hehe...

in terms of alignment and balancing, there can be few things which cause steering wheel to vibrate or wobble.

if steeering wheel vibrates at speed between 80-120km/h - defenitely balancing problem. if possible balance the wheels on the inner side and outer side for almost perfect balancing job.

if more than 120km/h vibration normally can be caused by uneven surface tyres, of even tyre pressures. normally fixed by doing on-wheel balancing.

if at low speed normally its wobbling...check tyre wear. if very thin, recommended to change new or swap with rear tyres if still good condition. check rims for bents or disalign. jack up car and roll tyres with ur hand to see whether its still round or out of shape.

steering vibrations at speed can also be caused by faulty steering tie rod/ tie-rod end. remove tyres and shake the tierod, if got movements, time for a new set.

if the new lower arms were not tightened properly can also caused similar vibration effect. be careful! other that this is worn out wheel bearings (normally got sound; increasing with speed) and also worn out knuckle arm (where the bearing sits). it happened to me in 2002.

good luck to you...wish u cheaply repairs..

SkYwAlKeR said:
ur car accident before??... why change lower arm??..
last time my after my accident also change lower arm... the mech said lucky my chassis didnt misalligned, or else will feel vibration in high speed...
if ur car been in an accident, i think is chassis/body structure lari adi... ask back ur mech pull it back straight for u lo...

if dont believe me, go back to ur mech and ask his professional advice... hehe...

nope, my car never accident before. i changed the lower arm to eliminate the sound.

zan said:
in terms of alignment and balancing, there can be few things which cause steering wheel to vibrate or wobble.

if steeering wheel vibrates at speed between 80-120km/h - defenitely balancing problem. if possible balance the wheels on the inner side and outer side for almost perfect balancing job.

if more than 120km/h vibration normally can be caused by uneven surface tyres, of even tyre pressures. normally fixed by doing on-wheel balancing.

if at low speed normally its wobbling...check tyre wear. if very thin, recommended to change new or swap with rear tyres if still good condition. check rims for bents or disalign. jack up car and roll tyres with ur hand to see whether its still round or out of shape.

steering vibrations at speed can also be caused by faulty steering tie rod/ tie-rod end. remove tyres and shake the tierod, if got movements, time for a new set.

if the new lower arms were not tightened properly can also caused similar vibration effect. be careful! other that this is worn out wheel bearings (normally got sound; increasing with speed) and also worn out knuckle arm (where the bearing sits). it happened to me in 2002.

went back that tyyer shop complain.. and he re-do the balancing n alignment for me , all tires pressure has been checked. n i dun think there is any uneven wear-outs.he got test drive the car, but i dun think they will test in high speed. after re do still the same , still got vibrate.do u thing i need to go back to my foreman instead of tyyer shop?

better send back to the same shop and ask them to rectify try not to send to many many shop to repair...

check whether inside the tyre got water or not.. bcoz the wheel balancing machine wont spin ur wheel up to 100km/h.. therefore if there s water inside ur tyre.. will not be detected by the balancer.. juz my assumption... can try out..

go back to the tyre shop and test run with him at high speed lo... let him experience what u felt...
ohya, before u changed the lower arm got vibrate or not??... if not then might be the arm problem ar... mayb bent a little... jz my 2 cents...

Yes dented rim can make the steering vibrate.

Usually if steering shaking in high speed and already do the balancing, means it is because of tyre pressure or tyre wear. Check you tyre wear, if botak at the sides or middle usually makes the steering vibrate when high speed.

If the tyres all ok, then its the lower arm or tie rod problem. Just my advice

wow thts wat im looking for,,,good advice.

bump for a good thread.

btw mine starts from 70-no matter how fast i go....whats going on? mayb due to 1 side of my tyre havng uneven wear?

Last edited:
uneven tires will cause steering vibration..

one more is tie rod and tie rod end.. if u have the KUK KUK sound when u U-Turn.. den its definately tie rods..

lower arms usually are not the main cause of steering vibration.. but it will cause excessive body roll.. when u turn a corner at a higher speed.. ur car body will tilt and make weird noises..

one question.. have u lowered your car?

confirm is tyre problem...

switch back tyre to front now ok alot....:)

lower....hmm not much

correct me if out of topic ...
but just wondering ..
one mechanic told me to put on hub centre ring for aftermarket rims ..
if not , it can cause vibrations ..
last time , it cost rm80 for a set .. or higher for custom made
is it worth it / really need to install ?
TQ

yea..i got that spacers too..high speed will make ur rims wobble

do check also the wheel nut is tighten to 80 pounds...the tire shop got a wrench to tighten at what weight wan

I had experience in steering vibrations too at high speed after I changed my rims. After install that plastic spacer at the center hub.. the problem went away.

Of course this is done after confirming my tyres and rims are in good shape as they are new at that time.

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom