something about stainless steel

TQ 4 ur reply Mod

by the way i asked lecturer, he said molten metal pour into a machine,something like sugar cane roller then form out a metal sheet,after the sheet cold then stamp the profile of the knife,later sand the edge...

like this i confuse,because molten metal consider liquid state but if rolling into sheet consider rolling forming under plastic state already @_@

there you go.

maybe you're supposed to use all three methods in forming the knife blade.

By the way, isn't sharpening not a part of the processof the blade forming?

prodigy said:
Just to add, chromium is not a metal. Its not something you can melt and mix it together with metal. Chromium is an important composition in any stainless steel because it resist corrosion. But of coz there's certain percentage of mixture which the steel mill probably knows more than we do.

erm mod,like prodigy said,chromium cant melt with metal, so may i know is there any way to produce stainless steel sheet? is it molten steel form into sheet then dunno wat process (mayb electrosis) and become stainless?

stainless won't rust, so it's a more stable variety of steel. Whatever process it is, it has to be done when the steel is in molten state. But I doubt it would be electrolysis, since heat impedes conductivity.

Steel is an alloy of iron and coal, right? Maybe they just use a different kind of coal or add some extra elements?

I juz know there are few different grade of Stainless steel....SUS 304 ( those material used for thermo ) and SUS 430 ( the best of stainless steel grade, looks like mirror,very chrome and shiny!!)...kekeke:biggrin:

sotplugDESIGNER said:
like this i confuse,because molten metal consider liquid state but if rolling into sheet consider rolling forming under plastic state already @_@

Why are you limiting yourself?
When your lecturer teaches you one method, dont tell me that you follow only one?

Just like playing missionary for the entire session, and totally leaving doggy style out .

boggysv said:
Why are you limiting yourself?
When your lecturer teaches you one method, dont tell me that you follow only one?

Just like playing missionary for the entire session, and totally leaving doggy style out .

haha but i have to write according to reference mah cant juz hantam...btw i think i'll just write molten stainless steel into roller form a sheet then stamping n sharpening something like that:biggrin:

well zth here really "magnum" 1 hahaha,ask whatever Q sure got reply hahaha

TQ u guys!!!

sotplugDESIGNER said:
erm mod,like prodigy said,chromium cant melt with metal, so may i know is there any way to produce stainless steel sheet? is it molten steel form into sheet then dunno wat process (mayb electrosis) and become stainless?

I didn't meant chromium cannot melt with metal. All i'm saying is chromium is a composite or additive in layman terms, that you add into metal to produce the non-corrosive properties of SS. All this is done in a foundry. A freaking hot place where you don't wanna be.

cybernation said:
I juz know there are few different grade of Stainless steel....SUS 304 ( those material used for thermo ) and SUS 430 ( the best of stainless steel grade, looks like mirror,very chrome and shiny!!)...kekeke:biggrin:

You're right that there are many different grades of SS and that SUS304 are used in thermoflusk. This is primarily because 304 are cheap and very common.

But SUS430 isn't the best SS you can find in the market. I can name you at least 50 or more grades that are better than the 430. Also, the better the grades doesn't mean its more mirror and shiny. The mirror finish that you see on most railings, gates, poles and etc are mainly because the steel goes thru many layers of polishing. As i mention in my earlier threads, to produce a mirror finish, you need to polish using sandpaper of different grades, from the roughest sand paper, to the smoothest. Any grades of SS can achieve such mirror finish providing the right polishing technique is used. When you buy SS material in a bar or a pipe or strip form, its actually very rough and unpolished, its the polishing that makes it look good. Also, sometimes we've actually been cheated by some goods proclaiming to be stainless steel but in actual its actually galvanised steel which actually doesn't last as long as SS.

Back to the issue of SS grades, i wouldn't see there's one grade of SS that is the best but rather when we're talking about SS, its the mechanical properties that counts most. Some want it to be more resistive to corrosion, some want a high strength SS, some want a SS that can withstand high temperature, some want a SS that can withstand cracking at low temperature. So all these criteria are important for a foundry to produce that right composition of metals or formula to be used to produce the desired end product. Some of the more expensive SS that are in the market are called Duplex and Super Duplex. These SS have very high resistance to corrosion and are used in submerged sea water pipes. As much as we think SS won't rust, it'll happen. Seawater are very high in salt content and over the years, it'll corrode the metal so a higher grade SS is needed. Similarly, people who work in the port for a long time will find that their car gets rusty much easier and the paint is very likely to fade much faster than a person working in the city. Its because of the sea water salinity.

I hope i do not bore you guys with these metal talk. Just sharing whatever i know.

sotplugDESIGNER said:
oh okok,btw what is your occupation? why know well in metal thingy? and oso mod?

actually, I have no background knowledge about metallurgy. All this is just common sense :biggrin:

ermm....prob again hahaha

This time is about frying pan handle,is it mostly made of ABS or Polystyrene?
And which mold to form it? Die cast? Injection?

Top Bottom