Smart Fortwo getting start/stop tech

davidv00

500 RPM
Mar 27, 2006
Selangor

The rich get richer, and the frugal get... frugaler. The Smart Fortwo coming to these shores will reportedly boast a feature like the automatic start/stop technology on BMW's 1-series. A fixture on pure hybrids like the Honda Insight for years, the Smart system will shut down the combustion engine when the car is stopped in traffic, and start it again when the driver presses the accelerator. The development is said to have been derived from the diesel hybrid Smart engineered for the first generation car.

The start/stop Smart will have a 1.0-liter engine with 71 hp and a 5-speed sequential gearbox. According to one article, it's called the "micro hybrid," and was created by Smart engineers working with Mercedes-Benz Development (BMW's unit is provided by Bosch). A belt-driven starter generator acts as the starter motor and alternator. The starter generator also reduces the time necessary for the engine to get enough revs to engage the clutch by .25 seconds. By quickening clutch engagement time less fuel is needed to drive away from a standing start. Combined with shutting down during normal idling periods, the result is an impressive 13% less gasoline usage.

Source: Autoweek.nl

BlackSamurai

9,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2004
near 7-11
www.hcc.ne1.net
hmm, will that kill the battery and ignation system if we stuck in KL traffic often?

davidv00

500 RPM
Mar 27, 2006
Selangor
well if they are foolish enough to miss that part out then they deserve to shut down like proton i guess.... lolx

wael

Known Member
Feb 19, 2006
www.mypanoramic.com
I believe their engineers are good enough to build a car.

They are SMART.

not like P**ton only know copy+paste=junk

davidv00

500 RPM
Mar 27, 2006
Selangor
if we follow the VW TSI 1.4 turbo you can see the small compartment of TSI that fits in everything including their newly integrated intercooler on the engine itself, now i see why Proton should sold to VW.