Project Charade - Codename "Diablo"

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

- D i a b l o -

500 RPM
For my first project on making my car the best Charade in the area :)

Project Breakdown

STAGE 1 [Performance]

*Restoration - Complete
*Upgrade - Pending
*Transmission - On Hold

(New clutch installed)

STAGE 2 [Handling]

*Suspension and relevant equipment - On hold

STAGE 3 [In Car Entertainment]

*New Headunit,Amplifier and Component Speakers - Complete

(Clarion DB566USB HU with USB and 200W 2 channel Amp.2 piece of 250W Clarion component subwoofer and 2 speakers infront with tweeters build in)

*Soundproofing - Pending
(Engine hood sound damper installed)

STAGE 4 [Exterior] - On Hold

I managed to muster enough moolah to send it for valve grinding and managed to restore my compression to almost normal.The reason why my car was idling soooo badly was because the accumulation of carbon.

Now,paired with a new carb.Im proud that it idles at 950-1000 rpm without aircond and 900-950 with aircond.

So now,the engine is almost fully restored to its personal glory.I didnt got the chance to test the car just yet because my mechanic insisted that he want to see the car start in the cold morning hours just to see it works properly.

Now,I want to discuss on what are the best possible ways to upgrade the engine.
Here are my criterias.

I want a responsive,no frill engines that still retain most of the original parts unless forced to switch into one.I gave up on swapping engine because I felt a bit sad on the thought of swapping when I allready restored the engine.

I hope to find a bolt on turbo for my car without changing much of the current equipment,not only because of the cost but also of the hassle.

I wish that respected members of our Daihatsu channel like Speed Demon,Dougster,Tibun and more has something to share with me on this quest of power.

Please,others too,leave your "useful" opinions here.Thanks in advance.

Amir

P/S I'll compile some pictures tommorow

DSC00157.jpg

3000 plus installation on carb....

this is the price my mech quote for iswara..should be around the same price too..

can i suggest going back to basics?upgrading intake as well as ur exhaust.then PnP to optimize flow.

I would recommend that you look at your braking & handling mods first before doing power mods. Braking & handling is important. In fact, if your handling is better or more stable, you will be able to apply more power without having to lift-off the accelerator.

Handling mods will actually include maintenance or replacement of parts. Main handling components would be:

1. Absorbers & springs

2. Anti-roll and anti-sway bars

3. Bushes - you can just replace this with stock ones or look for nylon bushes. The best is polyutherane bushes. The brand Superpro has them for the Charade and a local company called Pentagon Enterprises sells this brand. But they most probably have to order them for you.

4. If you want to go further, inject foam into the empty parts of your chassis. This foam hardens and the effect is, it stiffens your chassis, thus acting somewhat like a rollcage.

5. Semi-bucket or full-bucket seats. Necessary to stop you sliding all over the place. Full-bucket is the best as even semi is not good enough in extreme turning (speaking from personal experience! :embaressed_smile: )

6. Rims & tires. Low budget = 14" rims, higher will be 15". Since your car will most probably not be turbocharged, I recommend 14" because 15" will only add more weight and cause turning problems. Even the stock GTti came with only 14". Good tires are necessary. I'm personally using Yokohama ES100 now which is a soft compound tire so provides good grip but then finishes fast. 14" now costs RM170 per piece.

Brakes:

1. Common mods is changing the front CB23 brake system to the GTti brake system which offers a ventilated disc and slightly larger caliper. Changing the rear brake system to the one off the GTti or Detomaso.

2. Changing the rubber brake hose to steel braided

3. Servicing your brake pump & booster, changing vacumn hoses (if necessary) and installing a one-way valve on the vacumn hoses.

All the above mods will easily cost RM2000 or more in total. :emoticon_U: Personally, I think they are highly necessary. Let's hear what comments other members have.

Thanks Demon

Now this is what i was looking for :)

On the rims,I allready booked a nice OZ Racing Superleggera rims for my car with some good rubber.Maybe a nice Advan semi slick tires.Lets hope.

speed demon : nice info man..! :_:

yeah..totally agree with speed demon..for bushes..i dont think u really need PU ones.they are very expensive but worth the money.IMO the rubber ones will do just fine actually for a daily driven car.

and for shox,if possible..try getting the jap GABs.if ur on a budget. :) if ur not..haha there's too many to choose frm.

btw..for the intake,open pods for carbies are quite okay actually.filter brands?go apex.
referring to this site. http://mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/2/index.html

Last edited:

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom